ME AGAIN!! More batterie questions(dont be annoyed) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
Helli good people of EGF!
So for the record I have confirmed the authenticity of my LG HG2 18650’s. I have purchased an external bttery charger bit i have made contact with voopoo and they suggest charging using the micro usb port. They have suggested that thats what its there for. It says in the manual to use a 5v power source and that if the batteries are at different capacities (which they shouldnt be as they have charges once together) that it will show that on the acreen. It also says that the charge time with 5v 2A input. The reason for this is that from the reasearch that I have done has one group insisting on external charging which takes the batteries from the mod potentially tearing the wraps or damaging them in other ways. My Voopoo Drag holds the batteries very snug and I am concerned of ripping them when I take them out. The other group believe that it is unsafe the take them out. I tend to agree with this logic. If I use a 5v wall plug with the usb plug they gave me and I charge the batteries for the 3 hours as recomended while under supervison this should be safe no? Remembering that the company that made it has suggested that this what i shourld do. I have a monster wall wart that has a output of 5v 2.4A. I dont want to seem as if I have disregarded all the great advice I have recieved but I feel like I am playing safely. I dont not plan on exceeding 75 watts at any time 50 -70 have been amazing with the coils and juices i am using.
Thanks

Attachments

• 698A2B94-5425-4C6C-ACFB-83BA81F22ECE.jpeg
    698A2B94-5425-4C6C-ACFB-83BA81F22ECE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 86B914CD-4F4C-4188-9655-7DE84C5B5B28.png
    86B914CD-4F4C-4188-9655-7DE84C5B5B28.png
    422.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 90D60A59-9977-4516-A211-8A65689AA2AB.png
    90D60A59-9977-4516-A211-8A65689AA2AB.png
    645.3 KB · Views: 20

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Keep asking questions - it's better than not knowing the answers.

Background information: Charging the 18650 batteries we use at 0.75 amps or less will maximize their life. 1 amp isn't too bad, but 2 amps will tend to overheat the batteries and shorten their life. When you say your mod charges at 2 amps, I'm not sure whether that's 2 amps/battery, which isn't a good idea, or 2 amps overall - 1 per battery, which would be OK.

Advantages of External Charging
  • You can swap out batteries, meaning you can use the mod while one set of batteries is charging.
  • A good charger is generally better for your batteries than in-mod charging - it should terminate more reliably, and tends to give you more options for charging rate. Note that a bad charger is no better and quite possibly worse than in-mod charging. Of course, the reliability of the mod builder is also a factor in battery lifespan and safety.
  • Reduces use of the USB port - the USB port is often the first part of your mod to fail. How much of a problem this is will depend. If the port fails, you won't be able to update the firmware, but you may be happy with the firmware you have. You also won't be able to charge in-mod, but it's always possible to switch from in-mod charging to external charging if the port happens to fail.

Advantages of In-Mod Charging
  • You don't need an external charger (unless your port fails).
  • Less handling of batteries, so less risk of tearing wraps. It's important to note here that replacing wraps is cheap and pretty easy, but some people would rather not deal with it.
The truth is that there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Consider the issues and do whatever happens to work best for you.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
From what I understand, modern devices are much better at onboard charging than they were just a few years ago. On the other hand, micro-USB ports are tiny and fragile, and once it wears out, you can't use it to charge the batteries OR upgrade the firmware, so many people still prefer to skip the USB charging and use an external charger anyway. Besides, that way you can charge one battery (or pair, if you have a 2-cell device) while another one is in use, so you never have to be tethered to a USB port.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Charging within the mod is not something I would recommend.
It is not as safe as using an external charger.
Taking them in and out shouldn't cause any issues if done correctly.
Should you nick a battery wrap, they can be easily rewrapped for about $1.

In a dual series mod you will find that both batteries do not drain evenly, and unless the mod has balanced charging, don't charge evenly (when charged inside the mod).

Personally, I would charge the batteries in an external charger and reverse their orientation in the mod with every charge cycle. Also, keep this pair married. meaning use them together as a pair and don't mix them with other batteries.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
I would rather replace batteries earlier than tear a battery while installing and have it vent. This seems to be the main concern with charging in mod is that the batteries will possibly lose lifespan. Knock on wood i have never had a cellphone or computer t/tablet have a broken usb port. I treat my tech with respect. No rhyme intended

Reactions: stols001

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I would rather replace batteries earlier than tear a battery while installing and have it vent. This seems to be the main concern with charging in mod is that the batteries will possibly lose lifespan. Knock on wood i have never had a cellphone or computer t/tablet have a broken usb port. I treat my tech with respect. No rhyme intended

It's a little murkier than that. Anything that damages your batteries will increase the risk of something catastrophic happening. When I say overheating causes damage, the problem you'll probably see is reduced lifespan, but there's a small possibility things will come together in such a way that a battery vents or worse.

@Rangertrix mentioned balanced charging, which is crucial. We know that good external charger makers charge batteries on independent circuits, so they're always balanced. In a mod, you're dependant on the chip maker to ensure charging is balanced. There's always the question of how much you trust them. DNA I'd trust. Smok I wouldn't. Voopoo? I'm not sure.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well I'm not going to argue with what the company told you to do, it's their product. So, keeping in mind what they have told you, it's up to you. It's not how I would be likely to do it and I have owned a mod where the batteries were rather snug (even with a ribbon) and they were a pain to deal with and needed rewrapping frequently.

I don't know, this would make me want to buy a different mod, not charge differently than most of the known mods I mean you can make a mod that houses batteries perfectly easily and with room to spare for safe removal.

I'm kind of not kidding about that in some ways, I mean I retired the mod that wanted to chew through my batteries, and actually the concept of them EXPLODING as I tore or nicked the mod is kind of FRIGHTENING actually. It didn't occur to me. But it would explain some of the hate for the mod if it's being sold and people are not strictly TOLD, hey, CHARGE VIA USB only. Probably because DOING it that way is frankly not a selling point, as your USB port will wear out at some point, eventually. It took me 5 years to do it with my CELLPHONE USB port but it did in fact happen. So, I might consider that.

I might also get a magnetic USB since you have this mod NOW. The little bit on the end is magnetic and stays in the mod at all times. The other piece is also magnetic to IT, but the USB cable will snap away if there is a fall or a nudge. I have a couple for my radiuses where yeah, it's an 18650 battery but USB is advised etc. It's less wear and tear at least.

On the flip side, one could argue that a battery door could get damaged and break after repeated use so there is always that.

I say if you go USB, go magnetic. Fasttech sells them and many other .places.

Good luck with it.

Anna

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
The only company that I trust there balance charger is evolv. You are putting a lot of trust into a tiny chip in a mod versus a real battery charger thats made to balance cells. You put a lot of trust that it will not only charge them correctly but that it will also cut off when its done. Look on youtube at how many mods have caught fire while charging. Its up to you thou. By the way, this is what your going to trust 5V 2A Micro USB 3.7V Lithium Li-ion 18650 Battery Charger Module Charging Board | eBay

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@JJ Hair – That was me who brought up tearing of battery wraps. I did so not to put fear into you but to educate you on what could possibly happen. You could apply caution to removing your batteries from your charger and never tear a wrap ever. I also brought up torn wraps because the danger associated with them. Should it ever happen you now know not to use a battery that has a torn wrap.

As for charging via the mod or charging via a dedicated charger. A charger has 1 specific purpose, that is to charge batteries. It was designed and built strictly for this purpose. It does nothing else. Your mod, regardless of make or model, is a vaping product first – any other features outside vaping such as charging your batteries is an after thought. Its sole design is for vaping and the charging portion is for convenience. This is a matter of using the correct tool for the job at hand.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I would rather replace batteries earlier than tear a battery while installing and have it vent

I have been taking batteries out and putting them in mods for a lot of years and I have yet to tear a wrap.
Not only is there the balanced charging issue, but one of the other most important factors is heat.
Heat is produced when you charge your batteries, in the charging circuit and the batteries themselves. The more current you put into them, the more heat is generated.
I charge my batteries at .5 amp in an external charger. The Drag charges at 2 amps.
Inside a mod there are very few places for the heat to escape. You can take the door off to help with heat from the batteries, but the charging circuit is still in an enclosed area with very little venting.

You've gotten some good advice so far, and I can guarantee you that most on this forum will recommend external charging over internal.

Good luck with your decision.
Cheers.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

If you are worried about removing batteries from a mod or charger because of a tight fit and damaging the insulator wraps, lay a piece of ribbon or shoestring across the battery bay before installing the battery. When its time to remove the battery, pull up on one or both ends of the ribbon/shoestring and the battery will easily come out.

Charging batteries in the mod via USB is not "SAFER" than using an external battery charger. Take the below video as an example. Family is asleep in the living room, and the security surveyance camera catches a charging mod exploding on the kitchen counter. Quite spectacular to say the least!

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I've not read it all.

However, I have lots of mods (no surprise) and quite a few of them won't charge through the USB port. I used the USB in emergency.

External charging is better than a broken usb port.

As for damaging the wrap... I've yet to damage a battery wrap. Maybe I am too careful?
:)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Baditude – Good advice. Just to note the Drag does have a battery lace (for lack of better terminology).

@djsvapour – looking at your joined date it is obvious to me that you have been vaping for a number of years. Well done! But your experience is a prime example that we can perform these actions and not have an outcome such as a torn wrap. @JJ Hair – there is no need to stress about torn wraps. Like I said, I only brought it up to educate you in the event it does happen.

I see @Rangertrix hasn’t torn a wrap either…..I must be special! :oops:

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
78D1ECC8-A484-409C-8279-296089E77251.jpeg
Charging within the mod is not something I would recommend.
It is not as safe as using an external charger.
Taking them in and out shouldn't cause any issues if done correctly.
Should you nick a battery wrap, they can be easily rewrapped for about $1.

In a dual series mod you will find that both batteries do not drain evenly, and unless the mod has balanced charging, don't charge evenly (when charged inside the mod).

Personally, I would charge the batteries in an external charger and reverse their orientation in the mod with every charge cycle. Also, keep this pair married. meaning use them together as a pair and don't mix them with other batteries.
I've not read it all.

However, I have lots of mods (no surprise) and quite a few of them won't charge through the USB port. I used the USB in emergency.

External charging is better than a broken usb port.

As for damaging the wrap... I've yet to damage a battery wrap. Maybe I am too careful?
:)
I have been taking batteries out and putting them in mods for a lot of years and I have yet to tear a wrap.
Not only is there the balanced charging issue, but one of the other most important factors is heat.
Heat is produced when you charge your batteries, in the charging circuit and the batteries themselves. The more current you put into them, the more heat is generated.
I charge my batteries at .5 amp in an external charger. The Drag charges at 2 amps.
Inside a mod there are very few places for the heat to escape. You can take the door off to help with heat from the batteries, but the charging circuit is still in an enclosed area with very little venting.

You've gotten some good advice so far, and I can guarantee you that most on this forum will recommend external charging over internal.

Good luck with your decision.
Cheers.
How durable are the wraps? I just took them out of the drag and it was much easier than I expected. I am concerned however that when i put them back in i could tear them and I woukdnt know.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
This seems to be the main concern with charging in mod is that the batteries will possibly lose lifespan.
No. The main concern with charging in the mod is that it's a very confined space with bad ventilation.
This means
-more heat (in addition the board also produces heat while charging). This, as you mentioned, reduces lifespan. Not possibly, definitely.
-a more violent event in case a battery does vent (which charging seems to be the main trigger for), also if your mod is worth a multiple of what your external charger cost you might want to think about which of those you'd like to replace if there ever is a battery woopsy.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018

If you are worried about removing batteries from a mod or charger because of a tight fit and damaging the insulator wraps, lay a piece of ribbon or shoestring across the battery bay before installing the battery. When its time to remove the battery, pull up on one or both ends of the ribbon/shoestring and the battery will easily come out
@Baditude – Good advice. Just to note the Drag does have a battery lace (for lack of better terminology).

@djsvapour – looking at your joined date it is obvious to me that you have been vaping for a number of years. Well done! But your experience is a prime example that we can perform these actions and not have an outcome such as a torn wrap. @JJ Hair – there is no need to stress about torn wraps. Like I said, I only brought it up to educate you in the event it does happen.

My research has led me to believe that torn wraps are very common and happen very easily almost as if they were made of paper. I have the suggested external charger on the way and will use the “shoelace” everytime followed by an inspection. Thanks again

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
@JJ Hair – That was me who brought up tearing of battery wraps. I did so not to put fear into you but to educate you on what could possibly happen. You could apply caution to removing your batteries from your charger and never tear a wrap ever. I also brought up torn wraps because the danger associated with them. Should it ever happen you now know not to use a battery that has a torn wrap.

As for charging via the mod or charging via a dedicated charger. A charger has 1 specific purpose, that is to charge batteries. It was designed and built strictly for this purpose. It does nothing else. Your mod, regardless of make or model, is a vaping product first – any other features outside vaping such as charging your batteries is an after thought. Its sole design is for vaping and the charging portion is for convenience. This is a matter of using the correct tool for the job at hand.
I appreciate what your telling me. I just watched a video where a giy broke it right down to where it makes perfect sense but on thing he said worries me. He said if you push too firmly on the positives the little i gues brackets or supports that hold the positive in place can be pushes towars the negative causing a short. My question is if I push my batteries into the mod pushing the oositive against the pronge (is it pronge..i dont know) will that be enough pressure to bens the positive or am I just getting too paranoid?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I appreciate what your telling me. I just watched a video where a giy broke it right down to where it makes perfect sense but on thing he said worries me. He said if you push too firmly on the positives the little i gues brackets or supports that hold the positive in place can be pushes towars the negative causing a short. My question is if I push my batteries into the mod pushing the oositive against the pronge (is it pronge..i dont know) will that be enough pressure to bens the positive or am I just getting too paranoid?

I won't say it can't happen, but it isn't likely to. If you pushed hard enough to dent the positive end in one go I'd say you'd notice that something had gone wrong. You'd really have to push it hard.

If it did happen, I'd expect it to develop gradually. It would bend in a tiny bit each time you inserted your batteries and after 50 or 100 uses it might get bent enough to be a problem. Solution - give your batteries a quick once over regularly and if you notice the positive end bent in, it's time for replacement.

It might be an even greater risk if you're charging in-mod. Dropping or banging the mod could deform a battery, which you might not notice if you don't take them out and look at them regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread