ME AGAIN!! More batterie questions(dont be annoyed) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I appreciate what your telling me. I just watched a video where a giy broke it right down to where it makes perfect sense but on thing he said worries me. He said if you push too firmly on the positives the little i gues brackets or supports that hold the positive in place can be pushes towars the negative causing a short. My question is if I push my batteries into the mod pushing the oositive against the pronge (is it pronge..i dont know) will that be enough pressure to bens the positive or am I just getting too paranoid?
Was it this video?

It would take a good amount of force to compress the positive pole of a battery. An important thing to remember is that in the vast majority of cases, when a battery shorts out, it will take a fair amount of time for the battery to heat up enough to vent, and in the vast majority of cases it will have visible signs of venting gas (looks like smoke) coming from the mod or battery before it would flame or explode (if it even gets to that point). So in most cases, you'd notice that the battery was venting and allow you time to move the mod/battery to a safer place as things progress before flames or explosion occurs.

That's not to imply that a shorted battery is nothing to be concerned about. It's just that today's electronic mods have protections against shorts, and today's Li-ion batteries are a safer chemistry than just a few years ago so that they are much less likely to flame or explode.

Mechanical mods, with no electronic protections, can be considered to be more risky to use than a regulated mod, especially for novices who are just beginning to vape. In addition, many of the mechanical tube mods have none or inadequate vent holes in them to allow for the escape of gas in the case of a venting battery event, making them essentially a metal pipe bomb. This is why veteran vapers advise that vaping novices not begin with a mechanical mod as their first vaping device.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The only time I've seen a deformed (+) plate was in mech tubes (both regular and faux hybrid). A careless user can put a fair amount of force on the terminal with the aid of threads, that's essentially how a cheap press works.
It's a way to punch holes into metal or squeeze oil or water out of organic material.
That's not anything against mechs, it's just my experience and that's all I can talk about. I don't think sensible mech users will dent their battery terminals (at least mine were never dented or deformed when I used mechs for about 2 years).

With the spring loaded terminals you find in regulated mods I don't see where the force would come from to deform the (+) terminal.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
First, just a note. Any mod that does 2A charging spreads it over the contained batteries. Otherwise for two batteries it would draw 4A, three batteries 6A, and we know they can't do that.

Second, no matter what Voopoo says, I wouldn't trust them to balance charge the batteries. The only boards I trust are DNA boards, and that's because they were designed specifically for charging internal Lipo batteries and are built to a higher standard to accomplish that.

As for a tear in the wrap replacing one is maybe $0.50 and takes maybe 2 minutes. Is worry more about a charging failure than a nicked battery wrap. But as always, so whatever you want. Your mod, your vape, your decision.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
Was it this video?

It would take a good amount of force to compress the positive pole of a battery. An important thing to remember is that in the vast majority of cases, when a battery shorts out, it will take a fair amount of time for the battery to heat up enough to vent, and in the vast majority of cases it will have visible signs of venting gas (looks like smoke) coming from the mod or battery before it would flame or explode (if it even gets to that point). So in most cases, you'd notice that the battery was venting and allow you time to move the mod/battery to a safer place as things progress before flames or explosion occurs.

That's not to imply that a shorted battery is nothing to be concerned about. It's just that today's electronic mods have protections against shorts, and today's Li-ion batteries are a safer chemistry than just a few years ago so that they are much less likely to flame or explode.

Mechanical mods, with no electronic protections, can be considered to be more risky to use than a regulated mod, especially for novices who are just beginning to vape. In addition, many of the mechanical tube mods have none or inadequate vent holes in them to allow for the escape of gas in the case of a venting battery event, making them essentially a metal pipe bomb. This is why veteran vapers advise that vaping novices not begin with a mechanical mod as their first vaping device.

That was the video. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Baditude

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Thanks for your insite ;)

I'm really not trying to be mean or anything, you just seem to shoot down any good info given to you by experienced vapers.
Ultimately, you have to make the choices for yourself.
There are risks in everything (even the phone you put up to your cheek).
You have to decide if the pros outweigh the cons for you and your situation.
I think you're WAY over thinking it. If my 91 year old grandmother can do it without incident, so can you.
Best of luck to you.
Cheers.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
I'm really not trying to be mean or anything, you just seem to shoot down any good info given to you by experienced vapers.
Ultimately, you have to make the choices for yourself.
There are risks in everything (even the phone you put up to your cheek).
You have to decide if the pros outweigh the cons for you and your situation.
I think you're WAY over thinking it. If my 91 year old grandmother can do it without incident, so can you.
Best of luck to you.
Cheers.
I havent shot down anyoness advice I have challeneged the topic becasue i litterally know nothing about it and there seems to be good arguments on botth sides of the fence. Im concerned beacause i have a family and there have been cases that have become dangerous. My vape product will aleays be out of reach hiwever the venting batteries idea is scary. How intelligent would it be to take the first bit of advice that i got from a stranger on the first forum that i signed into? I havent disrespected a single person on any of the three theads ive been a part of. But you have been dirigatory towards me. If yoo dont like what i ask or how I respond than leave the post alone.

Reactions: Baditude

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I havent shot down anyoness advice I have challeneged the topic becasue i litterally know nothing about it and there seems to be good arguments on botth sides of the fence. Im concerned beacause i have a family and there have been cases that have become dangerous. My vape product will aleays be out of reach hiwever the venting batteries idea is scary. How intelligent would it be to take the first bit of advice that i got from a stranger on the first forum that i signed into? I havent disrespected a single person on any of the three theads ive been a part of. But you have been dirigatory towards me. If yoo dont like what i ask or how I respond than leave the post alone.

Very prudent on your part.
Please consider: ECF= The largest vaping forum in the world. Populated by experts in the field of vaping.
ANY OTHER SOURCE: IG/Twitter/FB = "Lessor, marketing and sales" based "communities" full of amateurs and tons of FUD.

HTH
I

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
If im on a long trip in the car and i forgot extra batteries, ill use the USB charger on my vooopoo drag. But otherwise, no. The batteries do get a bit on the warm side charging this way. Use it in a pinch if you have to but generally you should charge your batteries on an external charger. And as far as how snugly batteries fit in this mod, thankfully there are no terribly sharp edges in there to rip into the battery wrap. All in all, the voopoo drag has been one awesome mod and its my belief that anybody who has problems with one is experiencing user error.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
Very prudent on your part.
Please consider: ECF= The largest vaping forum in the world. Populated by experts in the field of vaping.
ANY OTHER SOURCE: IG/Twitter/FB = "Lessor, marketing and sales" based "communities" full of amateurs and tons of FUD.

HTH
I
What your saying has been my experience so far. I have been given alot if objective information to consider to make an informed decsion.
Thats why I am here. And I apprecaite it. If i come of iexperienced and naive its because i am. But I apprecaite everyones input and there time.
Thanks again.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I havent shot down anyoness advice I have challeneged the topic becasue i litterally know nothing about it and there seems to be good arguments on botth sides of the fence.

When you replied to my first post I was a little surprised that you concluded that in-mod charging was safer. However, your explanation was perfectly reasonable given the information provided. It made me realize that I hadn't really explained the possible risks of battery damage; I'd just simplified it to shortening battery life.

We regularly encounter people here who shoot down any advice they don't like. I don't think that's what you're doing. You strike me as someone who's a bit overwhelmed with all the information available and is doing their best to understand it fully.

I would say that Izan is quite right that ECF is a better-quality resource than many other information sources. That doesn't mean it's perfect and it certainly doesn't mean you should blindly accept the first response you get. However, it does mean that if someone gives you bad advice it's most likely that a bunch of people will come along to correct them over the next day or so. If a lot of people on ECF are telling you the same thing, there's probably a very good reason - and you're fully justified in asking what that reason is.

Dannielle.c92

Sep 21, 2018
Nevada
I'm also new to vaping and my first mod had an Internal battery. I just recently got a couple of mods that have external Batteries. I read alot of forums on this sight & videos and read mooch and tried to understand as much as I could of what mooch wrote on batteries. In my opinion the thought of charging my batteries in my mod & letting a chip charge them & to rely on it to stop if it overheats , when it's charged , & everything else is scary that chip could malfunction so easily because you don't know how well that company tested out how well that chip will charge your Batteries. I went and bought a nitecore intellicharger new i2. I haven't had any issues with my battery wraps tearing from pulling in or out of my mod or my nitecore charger. I charged my batteries in my mod 1 time while in the car and it got warm alot faster than when I charge them in my nitecore charger. Buy a external charger & one time charge them in the mod see how. It goes and then charge them in the external charger and see which way preforms better & which one makes you feel safer during charge time

Reactions: bombastinator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread