Status
Not open for further replies.

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I need orings as my Crown 2 tank is leaking. I have a digital caliper but I am wondering how do you measure them without distorting the perfect circle? Also since they are worn the size will be off a little. How do you compensate for that?

Also wheres the best place to order and what material like silicone is best?
Thanks

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have a digital caliper but I am wondering how do you measure them without distorting the perfect circle?

VERY carefully. I put it on the ball of my index finger in my palm and very carefully measure the outer diameter. Then measure the thickness

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Also since they are worn the size will be off a little. How do you compensate for that?

Well measure what you have then go a mm smaller if you think it's stretched out. Usually it doesn't matter that much to get the perfect exact size match for tanks. But make sure you get the proper thickness.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I asked the same question here years ago. Someone commented that it was often better to measure the place in the tank where the o-ring goes. Actually worked for me on that occasion, but there are probably situations where you can't do that. Normally I just use a ruler. I have a 6" SS ruler with 1/2 mm on one side and inches on the other going down to 1/64th. Lay the o-ring on the ruler and eyeball it. I do have digital calipers but I couldn't see any way of using them without distorting the ring. With a ruler you can adjust the ring and turn it around, and make multiple measurements. With a bright light and magnifier I figure I can get a pretty accurate read that way.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Guess there are multiple ways to do this. I like the idea of the cone but the price is hefty.

And it's not necessary if you already have calipers. Been doing it that way for probably 5 years now. Maybe more.

If you have a 13mm OD oring and you meansure it the way I stated and when you measure the OD of the oring several times and you get

12.8mm
    13.32mm
    13.08mm
    12.79mm
    13.12mm

etc, well you know you have a 13mm OD oring. Measure the cross section. Say it's around 1mm, then you know it's 1mm cross section...so now you know you have a 11mm ID oring.

13mm OD
    1mm c/s
    11mm ID

FoolishMortal

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 19, 2013
    Down Yonder
    I used to measure by hand, but I'm lazy when it comes to the more mundane aspects of my hobby, and the tool designed for the job is good for the lazy... and it happens to be accurate as well.

Width is easy. Don't squeeze on the calipers too much- done.

Circumference is a little more difficult with a slightly out of round example, like almost every single oring I've ever measured, but geometry solves that in 30 seconds.

You can slap that oring down on a ruler and measure without worries:

Ellipse Calculator for the math challenged.

There are also print-outs that I've stumbled upon in the past, where you place the oring on the picture that matches best. Or measure the best you can, make an educated guess, and then order one size bigger and one size smaller than your measurement, just in case. My OCD couldn't handle that, so geometry was the solution until I purchased tools.

Whatever is good for you, your brain, and your budget.

I happen to have a collection of tools that have probably only been used once, so I'm certainly not the person to ask if one should purchase a tool or not, because the answer is always "yes". :blush: That's the kind of person I am. I'm a little dense, but I have an excellent collection of all sorts of tools that are "used: like new" that would make a garage sale tool collector think they'd died and gone to heaven. :confused: :lol:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread