ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
there are mech mods and there are regulated mods
there are box mods and there are tube mods

there are tube mech mods and there are tube regulated mods
there are box mech mods and there are box regulated mods.

If you want to calculate the power you are getting with you panzer and coil, you need to measure the voltage drop.

Reactions: IMFire3605

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
there are mech mods and there are regulated mods
there are box mods and there are tube mods

there are tube mech mods and there are tube regulated mods
there are box mech mods and there are box regulated mods.

If you want to calculate the power you are getting with you panzer and coil, you need to measure the voltage drop.

+1 to highlighted in red. Most mechs have a considerate amount of voltage drop a regulated box mod overcomes with kicking up the voltage. Example, by calculations of "Ohm's Law" if no voltage drop is present, the mod and atomizer materials were perfect conductors, 4.2 volt fresh charged battery at 0.14ohms (max continuous for a Sony VTC3/4) would be 30amps at 126watts, even with a 7% voltage drop to be nice, voltage reaching the coil would be 3.906 volts, same ohm rating of 0.14, you are now down to 108.98 watts at 27.9amps. Trust me, side by side, my authentic brass mod with silver plated brass contacts, by calculations, same atomizer, same ohm rating, put that atty on the mech and then on my IPV V3 set to 120watts, the output of the IPV V3 is 25% to 35% higher than the mech supposedly putting out 126watts just by the Ohm's Law calculation. Crank the IPV V3 down to about 85watts, and that is about where my mech feels to be outputting. Unless you are running in a stacked top to bottom tube setup or side by side series like in a box mod, which max output would 8.4volts from the batteries, a regulated high wattage box mod is still going to smoke a mech and keep the wattage output just about maxed dead on most of the charge of the batteries. Another downside on the mech, as the battery looses charge, wattage at the coil lowers as well

Not saying Mech or Regulated one is better than the other, they both have their strengths and weaknesses if you know what you are truly doing, as I own both, and learned a lot of my high wattage knowledge on mechs before regulated mods started hitting 30, 50, and 100watt settings, still use both types of setups.

Mech
Simple and relatively easy to use
Pretty consistent vape most of their charge
Simple to maintain or repair
Require a lot of technical, safety, and theoretical electrical knowledge

Regulated
Consistent vape full duty cycle of the batteries
Easy to use, most times set and forget
Harder to repair
A lot more built in safety

Suryia

Jun 28, 2015
Get both! I started with a box mod, and then got a mech mod to add to the collection. Mech mod feels more like a cigar/cigarette and is so easy and convenient, while the regulated gives me more options for wattage/voltage. If I could choose only one, then it would be the regulated (variable wattage and volts, checking resistance, battery life all in one package).

Thediscoranger

Dec 13, 2014
Regulated for sure man I really hate voltage drop on mechs, but with regulated it's the same smooth hit till the battery dies, but mechs are a lot more portable and feel a lot nicer in my hands, and look cooler (to me anyways) plus with mechs you gotta clean them every so often while with my IPv4 just cotton swab the pin with some rubbing alcohol and it's good to go, also, IMFire made some very good points for sure.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
There is a bit of Wattage drop on the Sigelei.

See with me... keeping in mind Battery safety, I would only build as low as 0.2~
So I didnt wanna go below that level. But I wanted more power. So I was always buying more and more mods... and getting the next best thing. Then I got the Sig 150
My mech mods lie lost and forgotten. Plus need more power for bigger or crazier builds... such as... lets say, a dual fused clapton with a 3mm diameter.... at lets say, 0.3 Thats going to take forever and a day to heat up on a mech. but i pop that up to 75 watts on my regulated, and I get flavor and clouds for days

TheBeardedVapor

Jul 7, 2015
Richmond, IN
+1 to highlighted in red. Most mechs have a considerate amount of voltage drop a regulated box mod overcomes with kicking up the voltage. Example, by calculations of "Ohm's Law" if no voltage drop is present, the mod and atomizer materials were perfect conductors, 4.2 volt fresh charged battery at 0.14ohms (max continuous for a Sony VTC3/4) would be 30amps at 126watts, even with a 7% voltage drop to be nice, voltage reaching the coil would be 3.906 volts, same ohm rating of 0.14, you are now down to 108.98 watts at 27.9amps. Trust me, side by side, my authentic brass mod with silver plated brass contacts, by calculations, same atomizer, same ohm rating, put that atty on the mech and then on my IPV V3 set to 120watts, the output of the IPV V3 is 25% to 35% higher than the mech supposedly putting out 126watts just by the Ohm's Law calculation. Crank the IPV V3 down to about 85watts, and that is about where my mech feels to be outputting. Unless you are running in a stacked top to bottom tube setup or side by side series like in a box mod, which max output would 8.4volts from the batteries, a regulated high wattage box mod is still going to smoke a mech and keep the wattage output just about maxed dead on most of the charge of the batteries. Another downside on the mech, as the battery looses charge, wattage at the coil lowers as well

Not saying Mech or Regulated one is better than the other, they both have their strengths and weaknesses if you know what you are truly doing, as I own both, and learned a lot of my high wattage knowledge on mechs before regulated mods started hitting 30, 50, and 100watt settings, still use both types of setups.

Mech
Simple and relatively easy to use
Pretty consistent vape most of their charge
Simple to maintain or repair

Regulated
Consistent vape full duty cycle of the batteries
Easy to use, most times set and forget
Harder to repair
A lot more built in safety
Couldn't have said it better myself my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread