Mech tube shopping! Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Hey guys, im shopping for a mech tube. I have to keep it under 100$ as I use prepaid visas to protect myself against fraud (am 28, not underage).

Anyway, Ive been eyeing The dreamer, Broadside Admiral, Sub Zero shorty/X, Knucklehead Vapes.

Also interested in what type of switch/button is typically regarded as the best/ideal. I know most people prefer spring, but Ive seen some with the sub zero type button with the metal plates in the bottom.

Any advice, input, personal experience is appreciated!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I bow to your experience in this matter.
I have no experience with any of the mods he's mentioned. I haven't touched a mech in over 2 years. Still on the prowl for a "safer" mechanical for the vape apocalypse but no luck so far.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have no experience with any of the mods he's mentioned. I haven't touched a mech in over 2 years. Still on the prowl for a safer mechanical for the vape apocalypse.
Nor do I. You strike me as a good judge of mech safety though. If you think he’s got the knowledge to use a mech safely he’s probably got it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You strike me as a good judge of mech safety though. If you think he’s got the knowledge to use a mech safely he’s probably got it.
I really couldn't say. You know the saying, ...

0b89e62ba8157aefa0b9e48780d7076e.jpg

Or perhaps more appropriate...

1*dSN_Y-5eXHhvUxw52DF6Ug.jpeg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I watched a video on the dreamer. It does have a silver plated spring but it’s effectively a constant tension spring and is protected from wear so it may have quite a long service life. Hard to know. I am somewhat wary of silver plated parts. Especially parts where the safety of the mod depends on the integrity and conductivity of silver plating. Silver is soft and wears away. Plus plating can be very very thin.

Gregjl

Sep 20, 2018
New Jersey
Well for what it's worth if there's no floating positive pin, meaning the battery and atty pin touch directly make sure the pin protrudes and is not flush with the threaded piece. Sorry if you knew that but it's really important. I've heard the term "hybrid" mean a couple different things and wanted to be clear.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Admiral or Nashed Admiral all the way. Clutch switch and silver plated copper contacts... Fires great! No hot button, and minimal voltage drop. It has an adjustable 510 pin, so it's a bit safer than hybrid top mechs. I'd you still want to go hybrid, it'll convert to a true hybrid with the Culverin RDA (also pretty nice).

Another option with similar features is the NATO.

For hybrid topcap mechs, there's the 11:11 and Subzero X Or Subzero Shorty. Again, these use clutch systems and decrease voltage drop and nearly eliminate hot button.

Most of the mechs I've listed will use 2x700 cells. A quality 2x700 cell will typically have a 30 A CDR and 3000+ mAh. If you're gonna run with an 18650, the LG HB2/4/6 or Samsung 20S are good bets. A nice fall back is the Sony VTC5A.

MAKE SURE you know your build and battery before operation!

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Hey guys, im shopping for a mech tube. I have to keep it under 100$ as I use prepaid visas to protect myself against fraud (am 28, not underage).

Anyway, Ive been eyeing The dreamer, Broadside Admiral, Sub Zero shorty/X, Knucklehead Vapes.

Also interested in what type of switch/button is typically regarded as the best/ideal. I know most people prefer spring, but Ive seen some with the sub zero type button with the metal plates in the bottom.

Any advice, input, personal experience is appreciated!
I prefer magnet buttons personally but a heavy spring is also good. All those are fauxbrid connections. Make sure the center pin sticks out beyond the outer sleeve of the atty. Also you need to properly maintain and inspect all parts of the mod regularly. Also build within the safe limits of your batteries and always check resistance before firing on a mechanical. Failure to do so can result in
6a00d8341c72e153ef014e881de482970d-800wi.jpg

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
I have no experience with any of the mods he's mentioned. I haven't touched a mech in over 2 years. Still on the prowl for a "safer" mechanical for the vape apocalypse but no luck so far.
Maybe look into parallel mechanical box mods. They are a bit pricey bit just about as safe as you can get as far as mechmods go.

billthetroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2016
Huntington West Virginia
Yea, go with a broadside mod.any of them don't matter they're great.get some battery that can handle low ohm's i use Samsung's 20's you can build low and they handle it.make sure you get at lest 4 or 5 of them.a good charger, make sure you try to buy the Culverin rda it goes hand and hand with broadside mod.it can be ran hybrid with it.get some wire 24 awg ni80 is what people use mostly with mec mods im sure others will say whatever they want but most of the people i know use it.I won't go into all that ohm's law stuff because I'm sure there's enough of those kinda people that will drill all that in your head lol.plus you need a lot more money then 100$ for that mod last i looked (which was yesterday)on bj box mods is 199$ and that's just the mod so good luck.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
I can say the dreamer is a very nice mod. As a matter of fact mooch did a voltage drop test on all the different materials if you go that route. (On youtube) I can recommend the dreamer for sure.
It's a little more, around 150 but the one I have my eye on is the new broadside brizo.
Has side fire and is getting rave reviews.

@Tralfaz has the dreamer and brizo, not sure on the others though.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama

That's why I still have a Kick II and a couple of mods that have extension rings, lol.

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
@Tralfaz has the dreamer and brizo, not sure on the others though.
Both are great. The Dreamer gives you great build quality for the money and the versatility of flipping the tube to suit your grip. The Brizo is constant contact with a genius firing mechanism and the build quality is top notch, too. Also made in the USA. It's about double what the Dreamer costs, though. I really enjoy using both but for under $100, you can't go wrong with the Dreamer.

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Ive found broadsides for sale for 90$ a pop, if anyones interested in where just lmk! Considered getting some kicks, not sure jf I can squeeze one in. Do they even make room for kicks anymore/sell kick extensions? I know the risks and safety. I was watching moochs voltage drop tests the other day, actually! love his channel/work! man is a saint. I currently have a Paranormal 250c and use married 25r's in it. Theyve been great to me, and Ive looked into them a lot and apparently when it comes to things going bad they vent very tamely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread