Mech tube shopping! Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
The Shorty original and X are both outstanding, I love them both.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I don't suppose you had the original SOI comp rda as well. If so, what are your thoughts on the flavour? I'm assuming with all that airflow, it's a bit of a "cloud chucker" but does this inhibit flavour much when the airflow is turned down. The reviews online are really positive, and I'm assuming that with all the air being focused under the coils, as long as it's not wide open, it should be pretty tasty.

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
I don't suppose you had the original SOI comp rda as well. If so, what are your thoughts on the flavour? I'm assuming with all that airflow, it's a bit of a "cloud chucker" but does this inhibit flavour much when the airflow is turned down. The reviews online are really positive, and I'm assuming that with all the air being focused under the coils, as long as it's not wide open, it should be pretty tasty.

I had an identical RDA and was not a fan. The Tsunami. Flavor was poor, Id advise against it. Honestly the best flavor/airflow RDA ive found has been Drop/Recurve and similar RDAs.

• Agree
Reactions: Hdivr

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Yes I have the original rda, I like it. It's a cloud chucker for sure but has good flavor.

Reactions: stols001

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
That is a gr
I think the original SOI Shorty is a great mod. I have three of them. Actually everything I have from SOI is great.

Right now blemished shorty's are on sale at the SOI site for $70.00

That is a nice deal, but the fact that they dont give you an authenticity card with it, or offer any kind of warranty on it is a little shady I feel. Your saving only like 45$, which isnt bad. But I dont think I can get behind a company like that. Drop 70$ on a blem that happens to also be defective and your screwed, theyll just say all sales final. Too shady for me.

• Optimistic

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
That is a gr

That is a nice deal, but the fact that they dont give you an authenticity card with it, or offer any kind of warranty on it is a little shady I feel. Your saving only like 45$, which isnt bad. But I dont think I can get behind a company like that. Drop 70$ on a blem that happens to also be defective and your screwed, theyll just say all sales final. Too shady for me.
I have a few of their Blemishes along with unblemished both are excellent quality. The Blemishes are very minor like coloring off a bit, almost undetectable. As for being a respectable company they're top notch and stand behind their product.

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
I have a few of their Blemishes along with unblemished both are excellent quality. The Blemishes are very minor like coloring off a bit, almost undetectable. As for being a respectable company they're top notch and stand behind their product.

I was going to order one of their blems, it just worried me when they had the "all sales final, no authenticity card, no warranty" that if I happened to get one with a defect I knew it wouldve been money down the drain. /: I feel like their should still be some kind of support, even if its a minor cosmetic isdue they should still warranty the product even if for 30 days so someone dkesnt ens up screwed /:

• Optimistic

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
Yes I have the original rda, I like it. It's a cloud chucker for sure but has good flavor.

and thanks to you too. I quite like airy RDAs, as I actually prefer the flavour,as I find as long as position the coils well (which would be easy to do with the SZC24, I'd guess) I find the fruit flavours I prefer to be "crisp" if that makes sense.

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
I think the original SOI Shorty is a great mod. I have three of them. Actually everything I have from SOI is great.

Right now blemished shorty's are on sale at the SOI site for $70.00

I contacted them to ask if they'd have any of the 24mm RDAs available again and they said no, which is a real shame. I'd have jumped on a blem set instantly, but as not, I'm looking at a few things second hand.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I was going to order one of their blems, it just worried me when they had the "all sales final, no authenticity card, no warranty" that if I happened to get one with a defect I knew it wouldve been money down the drain. /: I feel like their should still be some kind of support, even if its a minor cosmetic isdue they should still warranty the product even if for 30 days so someone dkesnt ens up screwed /:

Just bought a shorty blem for $70 and a 22mm RDA blem for $15 both in tungsten gray (both are same color exactly). I honestly can't tell you what the blem is on either. The closest I can imagine is the logo on the RDA is not as deep, like I see in some pics.

If you get the mod and something doesn't work on it, there is a 30 day functionality warranty. It's true you don't get the authenticity card but there is a receipt in the box so, just keep that and in my mind same difference. Well, that receipt and I printed the one I received in my email as well.

I've only had them for a day so far but, I'm really impressed with both. The RDA has decent flavor, reminds me of a 22mm Kennedy. The mod is heavy, a lot heavier than expected for the size but it's solid. The button is just nice, the throw is (to me) about medium length and force, I can easily use my pinky to fire the mod.

There was only 2 things that I might call a con but not really. I was hoping these had the sleeve like the x models but it doesn't, I did however use one of the sleeves from a noisy cricket 2. I like the sleeves for running a battery positive down (personal preference). The other thing is battery connection adjustment, it can be a pain getting the seam gap closed. There again this will depend on your level of OCD, mine's high, lol. Really it's about the same as the old Infected mods but beefed up.

I'm gonna run it a week or so and make a final decision, but I see me ordering at least one more of these in the future, as well as a few spare parts for just in case. Some may not like that it's not a direct battery style but honestly, that was the selling point to me. It opens up the ability to use a few more attys I have laying around that are just too close for me to want to run in faux hybrid. Besides I have a SMPL for that and this is just a really nice simple solid mech. The button just makes this thing what it is.

• Useful

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
Like I said earlier in the thread I also own a few SS mechs myself, as I don't mind a little bit extra voltage drop. But there is a world of difference between a little bit extra and 24 times extra. The fact the SS Dreamer is SS isn't the big issue, but instead, it's the mediocre quality of the Dreamer's button contact in cohort with that, as these two minor issues work in tandem in such a way that the end result of that is what I call a weak hitting mod that has been not just overhyped, but over-overhyped.

Hey dripster, have you used the SS dreamer with the flat contact pin and the ultem button? I forgot I had ordered a bunch of extras with mine at the time I bought it. SS has always been my fave with mechs, especially since I don't really push my builds below .3. Anyway I put the dreamer away after a day or two of use as it was underperforming compared to some others I had also purchased. Just remembered I had those spares so I decided to try them out of curiosity. I'm getting much better performance on this thing now. Easily comparable to my Hellfire v7x or my squape mecanic - both of which I consider to be good performers. I'm going to keep it in rotation now as it is working well and looks sexy with a sentinel + 25 mm ss cap - original reason I bought it in the first place [emoji16]

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Hey dripster, have you used the SS dreamer with the flat contact pin and the ultem button? I forgot I had ordered a bunch of extras with mine at the time I bought it. SS has always been my fave with mechs, especially since I don't really push my builds below .3. Anyway I put the dreamer away after a day or two of use as it was underperforming compared to some others I had also purchased. Just remembered I had those spares so I decided to try them out of curiosity. I'm getting much better performance on this thing now. Easily comparable to my Hellfire v7x or my squape mecanic - both of which I consider to be good performers. I'm going to keep it in rotation now as it is working well and looks sexy with a sentinel + 25 mm ss cap - original reason I bought it in the first place [emoji16]
I haven't, but I'd have to think twice before recommending the Dreamer, with or without the flat contact pin, to anyone now that there already exist several other affordable 21700 compatible tube mechs that you could have already chosen between instead of still constantly hanging on to the Dreamer almost like the world depends on the Dreamer and nothing else EXCEPT the Dreamer........ Vaperz Cloud Sarov, Thunderhead Creations Tauren, BJ Box Mods (Broadside Mods) Brizo, Kennedy Vapor Vindicator.

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
I haven't, but I'd have to think twice before recommending the Dreamer, with or without the flat contact pin, to anyone now that there already exist several other affordable 21700 compatible tube mechs that you could have already chosen between instead of still constantly hanging on to the Dreamer almost like the world depends on the Dreamer and nothing else EXCEPT the Dreamer........ Vaperz Cloud Sarov, Thunderhead Creations Tauren, BJ Box Mods (Broadside Mods) Brizo, Kennedy Vapor Vindicator.

Ended up picking up the Vindicator, myself and really love it. Brizo I discounted as the button looked like a pain to disassemble and clean (plus too new, so wouldn't be able to pick one up 2nd hand and couldn't afford new). Tauren I couldn't get over how aesthetically unappealing I found it, which was a shame as the reviews on performance sound great, which is incredible given the price.

Now, if someone dangled a black cerakoted or stainless steel Sarov in front of my nose, I'd bite their hands off. It was that mod that initially made me go, "s*d it, I' really want a mech, and I've ticked all my boxes on learning about safety. I'm getting one." Off course by that point those particular variations had sold out literally everywhere I looked (UK, US, Canada, hell even looked to see if I could cope with the wait and shipping costs from Australia to the UK). While I'd prefer a weightier mod than aluminium, I'd put up with it in black, but I just can't stand brightly coloured mods. It makes them look like toys to me.

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California

I don't really recommend much these days and don't go for hyped anything. If I buy anything it is because it appeals to me personally in some way. Just figured the info might be useful to anyone who already owns a dreamer.

Now that I've got it working well I decided to buy a spare ultem button. Saw they have black acrylic buttons in the store now as well as pure silver springs and firing pins. None of that was available back when I bought mine. Ordered those as well. I am a sucker for pure silver contacts.

Not much of the new tubes that interests me other than the vindicator. I like the simple switch design more than anything, but can't decide if I want it yet. I just don't need or use tube mechs enough to keep collecting them - especially 25 mm tubes. I like my hellfire because it tapers to 22 mm, which is all I use with rdas. The dreamer I got simply because I thought it would look good with my sentinel, which is also a 22 mm atty but with a 25 mm optional cap that I use on my venom x squonker. I like the look of the dreamer more but am tempted to try the vindicator for its toolless switch design.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I don't really recommend much these days and don't go for hyped anything. If I buy anything it is because it appeals to me personally in some way. Just figured the info might be useful to anyone who already owns a dreamer.

Now that I've got it working well I decided to buy a spare ultem button. Saw they have black acrylic buttons in the store now as well as pure silver springs and firing pins. None of that was available back when I bought mine. Ordered those as well. I am a sucker for pure silver contacts.

Not much of the new tubes that interests me other than the vindicator. I like the simple switch design more than anything, but can't decide if I want it yet. I just don't need or use tube mechs enough to keep collecting them - especially 25 mm tubes. I like my hellfire because it tapers to 22 mm, which is all I use with rdas. The dreamer I got simply because I thought it would look good with my sentinel, which is also a 22 mm atty but with a 25 mm optional cap that I use on my venom x squonker. I like the look of the dreamer more but am tempted to try the vindicator for its toolless switch design.
I don't disagree that what you wrote might be useful even to those who don't already own a Dreamer. If the upgrade button will fix the problem like it promises, then great, but if it turns out that it factually doesn't, then those who got bitten as they bought into the hype should just try to learn from their mistakes I guess.

I don't recommend much these days either, but I still do recommend to stay away from clones if the person in question can afford to buy a decent fully authentic setup such that buying clones isn't at all necessary to keep that person off cigarettes. I almost never use anything that isn't a mech; I have collected quite a few already, and, at the time when I could have gotten the black Sarov at the local vape shop that I frequent, I decided to pass on that one simply because it wasn't a stackable mod despite one of my 21700 supporting tube mechs that I currently own isn't a stackable one either, it's the Purge Slam Piece B2. As far as the 21700s go, I also own two Scoundrels F U K 182021 stacked tubes (one "regular" edition, one Hentai), a Scoundrels Golden Rod stacked tube (same as the "regular" F U K 182021, but gold plated and unserialised), and a Purge Enforcer cerakoted blood stain stacked tube with the solid silver upgrades (spring and firing pin). As for using silver contacts and whether I find them really necessary, for me that simply depends on how well the non-silver ones actually do their job so with some mods yes the difference does matter to me, but a lot of my mods are perfectly fine without adding any silver to them so, if I can see that it ain't broken, then why should I try to fix it, especially when, instead, I can always decide to simply go shopping for some additional good looking (and obviously great performing) tubing to add into my tube stash.

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
Not much of the new tubes that interests me other than the vindicator. I like the simple switch design more than anything, but can't decide if I want it yet.

I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I did try the button on 25mm SOI shorty in the shop I picked the Vindicator up from and I much preferred the Vindicator switch feel. I don't know if you already have the V2 Roundhouse with the same button I think, but if not, I find if kept well lubricated (I reapply a small amount of vaseline once a week), it's effortless and glidey with a short throw. I found the 25mm shorty to be a touch shorter still, but with a really firm button, so if firm button presses, or long throws are your thing, then it might not be you cup of tea.

Besides that, once of the reasons I started really considering trying a mech was I realised I tended to vape around 3.7V on all my builds, and from all the reading I done, 4.2-3.7V seemed to be considered the range for decent voltage drop/ battery sag. I don't have a multi-metre, so it's just guess judgements, but the Vindicator with a SS body seems to outperform, or at least perform as well as 3.7V after VD/BS with Samsung 30Ts.

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
I don't disagree that what you wrote might be useful even to those who don't already own a Dreamer. If the upgrade button will fix the problem like it promises, then great, but if it turns out that it factually doesn't, then those who got bitten as they bought into the hype should just try to learn from their mistakes I guess.

As for using silver contacts and whether I find them really necessary, for me that simply depends on how well the non-silver ones actually do their job so with some mods yes the difference does matter to me, but a lot of my mods are perfectly fine without adding any silver to them so, if I can see that it ain't broken, then why should I try to fix it, especially when, instead, I can always decide to simply go shopping for some additional good looking (and obviously great performing) tubing to add into my tube stash.

I probably wouldn't be using the dreamer at all right now if I hadn't bought the ultem button with it at the time. I know I wouldn't have been motivated or interested enough to purchase that stuff after already writing it off as a dud. Having it on hand to try out was the only reason I'm using the mech today.

I'm ok with non-silver contacts as well if the mod still performs well. I have plenty of stuff that uses brass or copper still or different platings. I'm less a fan of silver plating than say gold or rhodium. It is less of a performance thing and more of a longevity thing for me. Silver plating doesn't hold up as well long term and performance wise I don't notice a difference so I will always take gold or rhodium over silver plating if I have the option. Same with pure silver. Easier to maintain long term than silver plating. I always buy spare contacts when they are offered and if I can upgrade to better materials I typically do. Thats just a habit I fell into as a mech user for most of my vaping journey, especially after ruining the plating on some of my earlier mechs, prior to using deoxit.

Reactions: dripster

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I did try the button on 25mm SOI shorty in the shop I picked the Vindicator up from and I much preferred the Vindicator switch feel. I don't know if you already have the V2 Roundhouse with the same button I think, but if not, I find if kept well lubricated (I reapply a small amount of vaseline once a week), it's effortless and glidey with a short throw. I found the 25mm shorty to be a touch shorter still, but with a really firm button, so if firm button presses, or long throws are your thing, then it might not be you cup of tea.

Besides that, once of the reasons I started really considering trying a mech was I realised I tended to vape around 3.7V on all my builds, and from all the reading I done, 4.2-3.7V seemed to be considered the range for decent voltage drop/ battery sag. I don't have a multi-metre, so it's just guess judgements, but the Vindicator with a SS body seems to outperform, or at least perform as well as 3.7V after VD/BS with Samsung 30Ts.

I don't mind firm or long throws on a mech. I run a mix of everything with my tubes. I consider the dreamer to have a long firm throw as well so if the vindicator were to replace it that wouldn't be a diciding factor. It really is all about that switch design for me.

I did notice in Todd's review (I think) that the switch was lubricated, good to know. I don't mind having to do that either since I mostly use my tubes at home for the enjoyment. I mostly use squonkers or smaller 22 mm 18350 or 500 tubes with a tank when I'm out of the house.

Reactions: nathanstokes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread