Mechanical Mod query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracul

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2014
Delhi, India
Hello,
I am new to mech mods but I know the safety information when using mechs. Since, I'll receive my nemesis mod, origen rda and sigelei 5-15W kick in a week from fasttech. I wanted to gain more knowledge about this setup in the meanwhile. So, my question is it advisable that you use 1.8 ohm dual coil build on mechs because it means 3.6 ohm parallel build.( I have a 100ft 30 Gauge Kanthal wire. ) Will 1.8ohm dual coils will give cold vapor compared to 1.8ohm single coil?
I want to use this setup mainly for my fruit and NET tobacco flavors, and some people profess that tobacco flavors get pretty much burnt up at sub ohming, and I am anyway do not want to enter that realm. So, I'll be really glad if you could help me out with this. :)

NOMINDTR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
India
Hello,
I am new to mech mods but I know the safety information when using mechs. Since, I'll receive my nemesis mod, origen rda and Sigelei 5-15W kick in a week from fasttech. I wanted to gain more knowledge about this setup in the meanwhile. So, my question is it advisable that you use 1.8 ohm dual coil build on mechs because it means 3.6 ohm parallel build.( I have a 100ft 30 Gauge Kanthal wire. ) Will 1.8ohm dual coils will give cold vapor compared to 1.8ohm single coil?
I want to use this setup mainly for my fruit and NET tobacco flavors, and some people profess that tobacco flavors get pretty much burnt up at sub ohming, and I am anyway do not want to enter that realm. So, I'll be really glad if you could help me out with this. :)

Hi,
I am sure people around should help. btw a member gave the link http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/6740-18-baditudes-blogs.html a must read for beginner. You may find quite useful information.

NOMINDTR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
India
Hello,
I am new to mech mods but I know the safety information when using mechs. Since, I'll receive my nemesis mod, origen rda and Sigelei 5-15W kick in a week from fasttech. I wanted to gain more knowledge about this setup in the meanwhile. So, my question is it advisable that you use 1.8 ohm dual coil build on mechs because it means 3.6 ohm parallel build.( I have a 100ft 30 Gauge Kanthal wire. ) Will 1.8ohm dual coils will give cold vapor compared to 1.8ohm single coil?

I am not an expert in mechanical mods. But I can be sure about basic physics. Irrespective of the way you build , the resultant resistance alone matters. By understanding I will say there is no difference between a 1.8 ohm by the way it's build. i.e. serial or parallel. It should work this way in general.

And it's a good idea to use a kick but, if you know (you should) the output voltage of your battery, and the resistance of the coil, then Wattage = (Voltage X Voltage) / Resistance. Say if your battery output is 4 Volt and you have 2 ohm resistance, the Wattage is

(4 X 4 ) / 2 == 16 / 2 = 8.

8 Watts.

When you move to mechanical mods, you should be able to calculate this yourself and it's not a rocket science.

If I were you, I would not use a kick. I will learn to build solid coils. I will test the resistance and output voltage of the battery so that I would know the wattage range of power my mod would be producing.

And, again, as I should remind you, I am not experienced with mechanical mods, but people who use mechanical mods should be vapping any flavor with no burnt taste.

Hope the blog links would help.

Best.

EDIT : Your most important concern should be safe usage of the mod rather than a sub ohm vaping or getting a great flavor :)

Last edited:

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
Hello,

#1 why do you need a kick if you are getting an RDA,
#2 why would you build a 1.8 build on an RDA
#3 the dual coil setup will be hotter
#4 good job asking questions, this one was a good one.

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
I am not an expert in mechanical mods. But I can be sure about basic physics. Irrespective of the way you build , the resultant resistance alone matters. By understanding I will say there is no difference between a 1.8 ohm by the way it's build. i.e. serial or parallel. It should work this way in general.

And it's a good idea to use a kick but, if you know (you should) the output voltage of your battery, and the resistance of the coil, then Wattage = (Voltage X Voltage) / Resistance. Say if your battery output is 4 Volt and you have 2 ohm resistance, the Wattage is

(4 X 4 ) / 2 == 16 / 2 = 8.

8 Watts.

When you move to mechanical mods, you should be able to calculate this yourself and it's not a rocket science.

If I were you, I would not use a kick. I will learn to build solid coils. I will test the resistance and output voltage of the battery so that I would know the wattage range of power my mod would be producing.

And, again, as I should remind you, I am not experienced with mechanical mods, but people who use mechanical mods should be vapping any flavor with no burnt taste.

Hope the blog links would help.

Best.

EDIT : Your most important concern should be safe usage of the mod rather than a sub ohm vaping or getting a great flavor :)
if you have a 1.8 ohm dual coil build you use more wire, also you have two coils heating up instead of 1 so it will be twice as warm as a single coil.

OP forgive me but if i were to do a 1.8ohm coil i would think it was freezing, i am used to below .35ohm. Only on my orchid RTA will i go as high as .5.

May i suggest doing a .9 or .8 dual dragon nano coil, I have one now at .29 using 26g 14 wrap around 22g and it feels like a .8ohm build in coolness, but i still get amazing flavor and vapor production. So if you were to do a dual dragon nano with about 28 or 23g wire wrapped around 20g wire or the equivilant diameter drill bit, about 13/14 it would equal a cool vape with huge flavor and great vapor production.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
if you have a 1.8 ohm dual coil build you use more wire, also you have two coils heating up instead of 1 so it will be twice as warm as a single coil.
May i suggest doing a .9 or .8 dual dragon nano coil, I have one now at .29 ...

Dake, I don't think you know what you are talking about. And I think you give very poor advice to new vapers.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
The good news is that, with a Kick, you can adjust the wattage to your liking. I have a 1.6 ohm dual coil, 30 gauge in my Fogger now, and it vapes wonderfully at 15 watts. It's a little warm, but the Fogger has a small chamber for the heat to be contained in. With an RDA, it should be cooler. Again, with a kick, you'll be able to turn it down, if it's not to your liking.

Everything seems fine with your setup, but I'm afraid I can't say whether duals or a single will be hotter.

jdake3265

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Santa Ana
My lack of credence in your advice may be an opinion, but heat generated from coils is physics, not opinion. You're entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts.
so if there is one coil producing heat then won't two exact coils produce twice as much heat since there are two heating elements instead of one? please tell me if i am wrong.

same as if you have four coils it will be way hotter than dual coils.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hello,

Those numbers sound workable to me; you can adjust the kick to suit.
Sweet spot will probably be somewhere around 8 to 12 watts I'm thinking.

Dracul

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2014
Delhi, India
so if there is one coil producing heat then won't two exact coils produce twice as much heat since there are two heating elements instead of one? please tell me if i am wrong.

same as if you have four coils it will be way hotter than dual coils.

I search a lot about it and watched videos on it, and the scientific explanation says that when you build a 1.8 ohm dual coil, equal energy gets divided between the two coils. So I don't know... I have yet to experiment. Thanks for the help. :0

Dracul

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2014
Delhi, India
The good news is that, with a Kick, you can adjust the wattage to your liking. I have a 1.6 ohm dual coil, 30 gauge in my Fogger now, and it vapes wonderfully at 15 watts. It's a little warm, but the Fogger has a small chamber for the heat to be contained in. With an RDA, it should be cooler. Again, with a kick, you'll be able to turn it down, if it's not to your liking.

Everything seems fine with your setup, but I'm afraid I can't say whether duals or a single will be hotter.

Thanks for sharing this info. I guess I have to experiment on my own to see about the hot vapor thing. :D

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I search a lot about it and watched videos on it, and the scientific explanation says that when you build a 1.8 ohm dual coil, equal energy gets divided between the two coils. So I don't know... I have yet to experiment. Thanks for the help. :0

Yes, when you build a dual coil, in the above case it would be two 3.6 ohm coils in parallel, equal energy gets divided between the two coils.

Whatever power you needed to run one 3.6 ohm coil to get it at the right temperature, you're going to need double the power to run that 1.8 ohm dual coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread