Mega Carto's....any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwag1973

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Saint Louis, MO.
I was curious if anyone uses or has tried any of the Mega Dual Coil Carto's, and how was your experience? Vapingzone and smok both offer them and they look interesting. I've come to prefer Cartotanks, but their not realistic in my line of work. I've been topping off smok XL's at work, but these Mega's would probably last all day. If you've tried either of these, I'd appreciate any feedback you can offer.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
I'm assuming you mean these -- Dual Coil Heavy Vapor (DCHV) eGo compatible mega cartomizers - Dual Coil Heavy Vapor (DCHV) eGo compatible mega cartomizers.

I like them overall. If you fill them completely they last a long time, Flavor and vapor are second only to carto tanks and they are more pocket friendly than carto tanks.

They can be challenging to fill completely and I don't think they hold the claimed 5 ml, the most I've been able to get into them is about 3.5 ml. They seem to be pretty refillable, too, I've topped my current one up with about 3 ml of additional juice since my first fill with no signs of losing flavor or vapor production.

I use a blunt needle syringe to fill them. I have a little silicone plug that came from another cartomizer to plug the hole in the battery end when filling, otherwise they are prone to dripping while filling. It helps to be patient -- fill them and wait a bit before using them to allow as much soaking as possible.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I used the SMOK Mega XXXXL cartos over a year ago prior to getting into cartotanks. I recall that they vaped pretty nicely with great flavor and vapor production. Despite their higher liquid capacity, they seem to prefer frequent "topping off" to prevent a burnt taste. I suspect this has more to do with them being dual coils than anything else. As you vape them, the batting material around the upper coil can get dry and become singed. Once that happens you'll never be able to remove the burnt taste.

Because of all the batting material, and the fact that you have to keep them topped off to avoid the dry burnt taste, they waste a lot of juice since you can't vape them down to the bottom of the carto.

If these were made as single coils I likely would still be using them.

xxxxldualcoilcartomizer.jpg BB.jpg

Last edited:

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
Baditude, did you use the 510 version of this carto or the eGo version? What voltage did you use them at?

Before I bought any of these I read a bunch of threads here from when they were apparently pretty new and it seemed like people were able to put some pretty crazy power into them without any burning.

I have yet to get a burned taste off of mine (all eGo sized) although I've only used them with fixed-voltage eGo (Kanger EVOD specifically) batteries, but I think they could probably tolerate a little more power pretty easily.

I do agree that you can't run them down completely, it seems like even when I start to lose vapor volume I can't seem to get more than half of what I filled them with originally. Not sure if this is because there's just latent juice that won't vaporize or if residue from my Johnson Creek Red Oak Tennessee Cured is just basically gunking the filler and interfering with wicking.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I used the 510 version on my AltSmoke BB and Silver Bullet mechanical mods, so 3.7 volts.

I recently found an unused one in my stash from a long time ago. I filled it up with liquid and gave it a vape. Didn't care for it on my Provari, no matter what the voltage setting was. Since I rarely use my mechs anymore, I've grown to prefer a cooler vape on my regulated mods, and don't care for low resistance nor dual coils anymore. I use 2.5 - 3.0 ohm single coil cartos exclusively now, with a voltage range between 3.6 - 4.5 volts. This is obviously a personal preference, YMMV.

Last edited:

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
I've been using one for about two weeks now.... it made it through a 2 hour chain vape last night.... I have the smok one for ego batts, I normally keep it at 3.7, but find times where I need to go down to 3.5.... and it is still decent at 3.2, when I'm trying to conserve power....
I took about all day to prime it, 10-15 drops, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, about 10-15 more drops, sit for 15 and kept that until I saw liquid rising in the air tube, blew it out let it sit some more, blew it out again and tried it out at 3.2 and slowly increased the voltage....
I've hardly touched my pt2 mini since last monday....
But this is my first carto, so....
Ill go a few hours vaping normally for me and top it off with a few drops....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread