Melamine foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
I have found the best cart filler material.
Melamine foam is produced by BASF and does not burn.
It is used for soundproofing in all new commercial planes and is UL rated and has the highest fire resistant rating of all. UL 94V-0

In the cart it performs wonders.
It soaks up the e-liquid and distributes it evenly on the atty.
Compared to poly fiber or fluval it's way superior and less messy.

It can be cut into a perfect shape for the cart, and since it is foam it always pushes against the wick like a spring.
Used with the Janty stick it's perfect. Each puff is identical.
I have a lot of this melanime foam at home because i perform sound proofing for certain electronics, however i know that in the supermarkets you can find white melamine foam sponges for the kitchen.

Melamine foam is produced in Germany by BASF only. China does not produce it.
Using poly fibre i was not getting consistent puffs.
This stuff is 1000 times better.

With poly fiber my cart always has liquid outside the cart. With the melamine foam the liquid is perfectly contained.

Try it guys, you will not be disappointed.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I have a lot of this melanime foam at home because i perform sound proofing for certain electronics, however i know that in the supermarkets you can find white melamine foam sponges for the kitchen.
Interesting! Do the sponges identify the product type?

Can you post some pictures of it or a sponge in packaging?

fresca

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Melamine was the ingredient that was found in baby formula, dog food and other food-stuffs from China, that caused several recalls over the last couple of years.

I'm not a medical expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I would be careful using it.

From Wikipedia: Melamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FTA: "Melamine is described as being "Harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin."

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
here is a pic
it's white and only white.
Try it with the Janty stick ...you will not be disappointed.
Im getting prolonged puffs, and not a drop of liquid outside the cart.

Attachments

• melamine foam.jpg
    melamine foam.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 93

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Get back to us after a year or so, see how it's going!:confused:
The Warning Label
Melamine foam erasers work well; but on surfaces that are painted, polished or easily scratched, they might work a little too well. It's recommended to test the eraser on a small, preferably unnoticeable, portion of whatever you're looking to clean before you dive on in.

A few years ago, Internet rumors spread that melamine foam erasers could cause serious health problems because they contained formaldehyde and had the potential to cause chemical burns. Check out Snopes.com for the outcome -- and a word to the wise: Don't go rubbing powerful abrasives on your face. After much back and forth, the makers of Magic Eraser has posted warnings on its label to warn users against using the product on skin.

Be careful about what you are exposing you mouth, tongue, nasal cavities, throat, and lungs to, PLEASE don't recommend using things that may be toxic or harmful

Last edited:

Zestok90

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Mentor, OH
Good find. Its worth a shot, I just hope I don't get cancer from this. Mealmine in my mind was labeled as bad. but... if you can use it for sponges, to clean you dishes with, i think its fine, plus its fireproof, so... you can't even be burning it.
I just wish I didn't have to spend so much to get some, everwhere I look people are selling it in juge sheets, since its for sound proofing and stuff, I just want something small to try. I'm gonna go look for a sponge at my super market, hopefully its just as good.

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
The Mother Lode, California
I really don't think using that stuff is a good idea. I don't have the time to research it, but I am not going to use it though. I would be concerned with the make up of it first. Then, depending on each application it is reccomended for, (airplanes, kitchen sponges) there could be different chemical treatments applied to it for each purpose it is intended for.

Please do more research as to what you are putting in your body and suggesting other's try too.

I'm hoping a moderator comes along and moves this to the diy section so that the disclaimer and warning are above it.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
From world health organization.............use at your own risk people, but I am very interested

December 2008 | GENEVA -- International experts have established a tolerable daily intake (TDI) for melamine, the chemical found recently in contaminated milk products. The TDI is the outcome of a meeting organized by WHO held this week in Ottawa, Canada. The TDI is lower than previous TDIs suggested for melamine by some national food safety authorities.

Related links

Melamine contamination

WHO programme on food safety

"We expect this could better guide the authorities in protecting the health of their public," said WHO Director for Food Safety, Dr Jørgen Schlundt, at the closing of the WHO expert meeting.

The international experts gathered by WHO have not set a "safe" level of melamine but they have established a "tolerable" level. Melamine is a contaminant that should not be in food. However, sometimes it is unavoidable. TDI represents the tolerable amount of unavoidable contaminant in food that a person can ingest on a daily basis without appreciable health risk. The TDI is meant to help national authorities set safe limits in food for withdrawal purposes should melamine be detected as a result of intentional adulteration.

The TDI for melamine has been established at 0.2 mg/kg body weight. Based on this, it leads a 50 kg person to a tolerable amount of 10 mg melamine per day

the MSDS sheets discuss the white powder form of melamine

Last edited:

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
I agree FULLY with all who say that is a BAD IDEA - This is NOT SAFE to use for this STOP RIGHT NOW! - Fire Proof is your first clue - The snopes info is in no way talking about breathing through it at elevated temp or otherwise - I'm not one to tell anyone what to do or not do - But I can't help myself in this case - do what you want and I hope you are ok but from what I see I'd feel like I was doing my fellow forum members a great disservice if I did not say - STOP USING THAT! Forget about snopes and read the actual DATA SAFETY sheet on the stuff - Not COOL -

I find it very hard to believe that it outperforms the normal stuffing material by a magnitude that justifies the risks involved - A much better way to do it would be to ditch the carts and Drip - Less hassle and we KNOW there is no harm in vaping through nothing - The JS loves dripping (was made for it) - You want the best performance from your JS - Stop using the cart at all -

I really hope this is a sick joke of come kind - How can you possibly deem melamine as safe?

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
I agree FULLY with all who say that is a BAD IDEA - This is NOT SAFE to use for this STOP RIGHT NOW! - Fire Proof is your first clue - The snopes info is in no way talking about breathing through it at elevated temp or otherwise - I'm not one to tell anyone what to do or not do - But I can't help myself in this case - do what you want and I hope you are ok but from what I see I'd feel like I was doing my fellow forum members a great disservice if I did not say - STOP USING THAT! Forget about snopes and read the actual DATA SAFETY sheet on the stuff - Not COOL -

I find it very hard to believe that it outperforms the normal stuffing material by a magnitude that justifies the risks involved - A much better way to do it would be to ditch the carts and Drip - Less hassle and we KNOW there is no harm in vaping through nothing - The JS loves dripping (was made for it) - You want the best performance from your JS - Stop using the cart at all -

I really hope this is a sick joke of come kind - How can you possibly deem melamine as safe?
I am not saying I know this is safe, but you ARE NOT INHALING THE POWDERED FORM OF MELAMINE.

Tell me if you would frown on this stuff as well. I use it in my e-cig
Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread