Melo coils only lasting 2 days max on my Atlantis Tank - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
In my Atlantis, in an attempt to get away from stock Atlantis coils I went to the Melo coils which are 100% cotton. The flavor is amazing for about 1-2 days then the sudden dry hits kick in, similar to using a Kayfun and Lemo when you know the cotton needs to be changed. This can get costly.

This has happened utilizing Max VG juices. I recently switched to 20%VG, 80%PG juices to test a possible VG allergy I have. My question is, will PG cause my cotton coils to last longer? The stock Atlantis coils would handle max VG juices for a week+ without dying at 30watts on .5 ohms - and this is chain vaping.

For the record, I vape around 8ml to 10ml of juice each day - 3mg nic.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
Aspire coils are terrable and are notoious for a short life span.

I ran the nautalus and the coils would taste like garbage and dry hit after 2-3 days.

Swapped out to the kanger sub tank and wow the occ coils last ay longer.

On day 6 with the first coil and it is still visably clean on inspection during a tank fill !!!

Wissel Joe

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Medina, Ohio
I bought my melo on 2/14 and im on my second coil i vape max VG also, I vape with my Kamry at 23 watts, a friend of mine stopped by yesterday he has a Atlantis he bought around 2/1 he said he just put a new coil in, he vapes on a istick 30 at 13 watts. we seem to have no problems with melo or atlantis coils maybe its the higher watts killing them.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
High watts, the type of juice and the volume of juice are all things that will affect the life. Even still, I would think it would last longer than 2 days.

The good news is that most of these subtank heads (Atlantis, Melo, kanger, etc) can be rebuilt yourself if you're looking to save money. Plenty of tutorials out there on how to do it.

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
What's strange is higher VG juices WILL deteriorate coils faster. Not PG. The VG is a LOT thicker than PG and this is one reason for the VG deterioration. Sadly most premade coils do not last as long as they should. And yes! It does get to be quite a expense. This is one reason I started building my own coils and solely using RBAS (rebuildable tank atomizer ). The coils I make last soo much longer and are pennies to the dollar comparatively. You can consider this, or consider rebuilding the premade coils yourself. For the very minimal cost of kanthal wire and cotton, or( your choice wicking media) you can litterly make hundreds of coils. A hundred foot spool of kanthal wire is about 7 dollars. Organic unbleached cotton, full bag is around 8 dollars. So for 15 dollars you can make so many coils, or rebuild them! YouTube has great tutorial videos on both. This is pretty much the only real way to save money on coils. You might consider it. Best wishes.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The atlantis head had a ceramic cloth surrounding / protecting the cotton from the coil and the cotton was packed in looser / less dense to aid in wicking.
The new ones & melo do not have this protective layer and the cotton is much more dense / packed tighter to prevent flooding, this puts the cotton in direct contact with the coil and causes them to wick slower and burn faster.
The new atlantis & melo heads will not take the same power as the old atlantis heads, the wicking material clogs up faster due to the density which reduces wicking ability even further and causes funky off burnt tastes. Use sweet or colored or thick liquids = very short head life.

Just me, Ive found that I have to use at least 10w less when using the new / melo / cotton only heads.

I have over 240ml of non sweet 50/50 through one old style atlantis head using 2 different non sweet 50/50, no reason to change yet.
I just bought 4 - 5 packs of the old style heads, should last me several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread