Just a friendly reminder:

5336man_in_the_wheelchair.jpg

BacsiBob

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2012
    Bethel, (SW) Ohio
    www.theborkstore.com
    Scott Smith HM3 US Navy KIA 9/16/69. Scotty was one of "my" corpsmen (combat medic). I was the senior corpsman for Lima Co. 3rd Bn 3rd Marines which was conducting combat operations in northern South Vietnam. Scotty taught me the ropes and was an outstanding "Doc". I left at the end of July on emergency leave to bury my son who was born prematurely. Because my wife was so emotionally distraught, my leave was extended. I was further delayed in California for 3 weeks because of overbooked flights.

On returning to VN, I learned that L 3/3 was decimated by a vastly superior NVA force during a prolonged fire fight. All of the corpsmen and over half of the Marines were killed or wounded. I learned in 1991 that Scotty had been shot by at least two NVA snipers when he went to the aid of a wounded Marine. Declared combat ineffective, the company became part of the troop pullout and was relocated to Okinawa. I was transferred to another unit and completed my tour with them.

I do not participate in "Memorial Day Sales". This is not the purpose of this "holiday". The purpose is remembering young men and women like Scotty, who gave all.

Iffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    Just as a gentle reminder...

Please, no one take this the wrong way... but today is for those that lost their lives in the quest for and continuance of our freedoms. Being a Nam vet with 20 years served, I do truly cherish the growing appreciation for all vets, past and present. But Memorial Day is not for any surviving vet, including myself; they and I came home alive. Armed Forces Day, Flag Day, July 4th and Veterans Day is when I celebrate being a vet and alive.

Today is my day for grateful and reverent grieving with TAPS...

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Just as a gentle reminder...

Please, no one take this the wrong way... but today is for those that lost their lives in the quest for and continuance of our freedoms. Being a Nam vet with 20 years served, I do truly cherish the growing appreciation for all vets, past and present. But Memorial Day is not for any surviving vet, including myself; they and I came home alive. Armed Forces Day, Flag Day, July 4th and Veterans Day is when I celebrate being a vet and alive.

Today is my day for grateful and reverent grieving with TAPS...

Could not have been said better.

My most sincere thoughts go out to the families of those who served and lost their lives in defense of FREEDOM.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Florida
    Actually, having served myself.. I am very happy today. Because so many people before me paid a very high price so that I can have what I do have. I feel that by being happy to have what they fought for I am giving them the honor they deserve.
    Just remember that no one wants to die for their country and only the bravest and best take that risk in the hope that future generations will not have to.

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 24, 2013
    Lancaster, Pa
    When my daughter gets old enough to understand what the words war, sacrifice, and the fallen mean, Memorial Day will be spent at the Arlington National Cemetery. I can't think of a better way to explain and show her exactly what the cost is of everything she has and enjoys and will ever have and enjoy then the somber sight of endless stones lined dress right dress and the presence soldiers who looks over them. No cameras, no phones, and no social media. Just us and those who made it all possible.
    I invested 14 years of my life and stand at the ready to invest more if need be. I only did one combat tour to Iraq in '04-'05 and one peacekeeping tour in Kuwait in '99 but those 700 days are forever etched into my memory, I may forget names but will never forget the faces of those I served with nor will I ever forget the sights, sounds, smells, and feelings I experienced during that time.
    To me, Memorial Day will never be happy or good but it will be somber and reflective to my friends, family, and complete strangers who fell to keep our freedoms and way of life from becoming extinct. No parties, obsessed cookouts, shopping sprees to get a good deal here, just quiet reflections of those who came before me to allow the freedoms we have.

This is their day......
    Honor Them

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2012
    Lansing, Michigan
    Memorial Day used to be called "Decoration Day" when folks went out to the graveyards to decorate the graves of soldiers.

A long long time ago.

They still do, Bullette. My mother and I visited a few local cemetaries this week and they were out in force.

Semper Fi

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread