• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Menopause/Post Partum Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
I've had serious ppd with all 5 kids, getting worse with each one except the last one. Right after I had Grace, I found myself having an emergency hysterectomy. It was either that, or bleed to death. That threw off my hormonal balance, even though I got to keep my ovaries. Can't say as I miss 'that' time of month! I don't know how menopause is going to go for me. I asked the dr on a follow up visit how I was going to know if/when I hit menopause. He just laughed and said I'd know. I did not like that answer!
Anyhow, anyone going through ppd, I've been there and I'm here to help! It can last way beyond the birth, years sometimes if it's not treated. I'm a nurse, and believe me, NOTHING grosses me out, I've seen, smelled, & cleaned up worse. PM me if you're more comfortable. :)

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I've never had a problem with Post partum but my daughter has.
She still has not fully gone back to her pre birth self.

I had a complete hysterectomy about 20 years ago (can't believe it's been that long!!!). Anyway, not for a minute, have I missed that little monthly visitor. If I went through the change of life, I missed it.:)

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
It does take a toll. That and all the new mommy stress, not sleeping, crying baby, ect... Anti-depressants work wonders. Her hormones are all in a whirl, and even a low dose antidepressant will her her get herself back from the quicksand. Some drs will not prescribe if nursing, but the ones with any sense will. I am conviced that my youngest child's inherent happy attitude comes from me being on them through the pregnancy and post partum nursing her. I ended up weaning her after only a few months because I was busy dying again. Could not take the heart meds and nurse her too and I was at a point where it wasn't even a choice anymore. :( I was really sad about it because she's my last baby, but I wanted to be around for her 1st birthday too. Still cried right along with her when I was tryin to convince her that a bottle was just as good. But we got through it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread