Menthol crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Some people have been saying that the commercially produced eliquids don't really satisfy menthol smokers and that they have found a good substitute with using crystals.

I thought it might be worth having a thread here for those who want to know more about making menthol eliquid. Methods, safety, recipes, etc.

This thread talks about it from this post if you're interested in some reading - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/2097-menthol-5.html#post34534

This is what Dr Loi said on that thread about using crystals -

"First of all get a 5ml eyedropper bottle and fill it up with (at least half) menthol crystals which is available commercially at the pharmacy...and then filled it up to 5ml of homemade alcohol(mine made from rice..) or some people will use ethanol(white wine)...aloow the alcohol to dissolve the menthol crystals with occassional shaking of the bottle....once it is fully dissolved if left standing will separate into 2 layers...the top clear layer will be menthol liquid and the lower will be alcohol....but can only be used if it is mixed into a murky solution...now mixed it to e-liquids of your choice (my preference is Flue-cured Tobacco and homemade Menthol at the ratio of 3:2)..."

Reactions: ZimmoZ

KatyS

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
I took a couple of small menthol crystals, put them directly in my tobacco juice(about 5 ml). Put the bottle in my microwave uncovered. Microwaved about a min. shook bottle, crystals desolved. If menthol too strong add more juice. If menthol too weak add a small crystal and reheat. Worked for me. Note I only use the menthol off and on. Someone stated they were loosing their voice using the menthol all the time. Don't know what strength he was using. Don't know if this is safe do at your own risk.

Brian S.

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2008
U.S. Mississippi
I took a couple of small menthol crystals, put them directly in my tobacco juice(about 5 ml). Put the bottle in my microwave uncovered. Microwaved about a min. shook bottle, crystals desolved. If menthol too strong add more juice. If menthol too weak add a small crystal and reheat. Worked for me. Note I only use the menthol off and on. Someone stated they were loosing their voice using the menthol all the time. Don't know what strength he was using. Don't know if this is safe do at your own risk.

I would be worried about overheating the juice and exploding the bottle in a microwave. Hot tap water works fine for warming the juice to make the crystals disolve. I have been using my menthol crystal mix for a month now with no issues. Smoking a kissbox and Jane's mint flavor juice. Haven't cleaned an atomizer once since I started using Jane's and got off the JC juice. I find that the e-juice kick is a little too strong for me and makes me cough if I draw too much. The menthol smooths this out some so I can take big draws without coughing.

It is best ot mix a small amount at a time as the crystals are strong and you may need extra juice to thin out the flavor if you overdo it with the crystals. For a 15 ml bottle a pinch is all that is necessary if you keep away from the larger crystals. Maybe a quarter teaspoon for a 30 ml bottle. Best to start with a little and add to it rather than having to thin it out. You can easily get an extremely strong mix that might cause you to temporarily lose your voice or some such and still have a smokable mix. Just be sensible about it please. If your breath smells like a Halls cough drop it is too strong.

The crystals are readily available on eBay for just a couple of bucks. Just type in menthol crystals. A couple of bucks gets you a lifetime's supply. For true menthol smokers this is the only way to go. I have been a happy camper since I got on the crystals.

Brian

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
I melted some crystals in just plain PG. I don't need much nicotine. One of my e-cigs has nic juice, but the rest just have my own concoctions made with PG and flavorings/essential oils (you need just the teensiest bit of EO). I rotate 4 or 5 penstyle e-cigs throughout the day, so I'm always having a banquet! I've found that just a little of my homemade menthol juice added to a fruit flavoring is a special treat.

Tumbleweed4829

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2008
Virginia, USA
Where do you buy menthol crsytals? Are menthol crystals all the same? I've been looking for some and noticed on a few websites it says : "Menthol crystals come from freezing the base concentrate oil from a common mint, Mentha arvensis." Wouldn't that be bad for our atomizers if it is basially concentrated oils? (I thought oil was bad for your atomizer?) Since it is freezing the oil and we are melting the crystals isn't it just becoming oil again? I'm just a little confused. Can anyone explain this to me and give me some ideas of where to get these from?

Brian S.

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2008
U.S. Mississippi
Where do you buy menthol crsytals? Are menthol crystals all the same? I've been looking for some and noticed on a few websites it says : "Menthol crystals come from freezing the base concentrate oil from a common mint, Mentha arvensis." Wouldn't that be bad for our atomizers if it is basially concentrated oils? (I thought oil was bad for your atomizer?) Since it is freezing the oil and we are melting the crystals isn't it just becoming oil again? I'm just a little confused. Can anyone explain this to me and give me some ideas of where to get these from?

OK lots of questions.

Go to ebay. Search for "menthol crystals". 2 ounces is enough for a life time.

The crystals are a byproduct of concentrating oils, but not themselves an oil. I have been using mine daily for three months with no atomizer problems. Been using the same one and haven't cleaned it once.

Warm the juice under hot tap water for a minute or so. Add a couple of crystals. Shake till they dissolve. Drip some. Add more crystals as needed. It is very easy to put too much in. A pinch for 15ml is what I use.

The menthol crystals smooth the back of the throat hit some and help keep you from getting a sore throat from e-smoking to much. The mint flavored liquids you can my are not menthol. You will definitly notice a difference when you get the real thing.

Brian

Brian S.

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2008
U.S. Mississippi
Thanks Brian for explaining all that to me. I think I'll buy mine from an organic herb shop instead off ebay, that is why I was wondering if they were all the same. (Ebay scares me when it comes to things that people can tamper with. ie cosmetics, menthol crystals, food).

The ones on ebay are 99% pure so check the ones you are buying. The percentage should be similar. Good luck. I have really enjoyed vaping since I got mine.

Brian

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Having read that thread too - I also became slightly concerned..

However it is interesting that one of the main uses for these crystals is to inhale as steam to relieve congestion etc.

Quote from label:

'Suitable for use in aromatherapy. Directions: Add a few crystals to a small bowl of hot (not boiling) water. A powerful vapour is produced.
Cautions: The crystals are irritating to skin. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. If swallowed seek medical advice immediately.'

Perhaps the difference is in the delivery and when inhaling from an ecig, you get a far more concentrated dose of menthol than you would from a steam inhalation.

Bad luck Darcy - might be worth giving it up for now - it certainly seems to be linked to your breathing problems. I must admit, I didn't get this problem with the crystals, but I've never been asthmatic.

P.S. Happy New Year to one and all!!!:D

Keltrey

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2008
Olney, Illinois
Correct me if I'm wrong.. I thought that menthol crystals were what made menthol cigs crystalize your lungs.

Wouldn't that be one of those things that we should be avoiding as a health issue? I know I smoked menthol for years, but with going electronic and attempting to minimize the health risk couldn't the damage be just as bad?

Silk

Dec 11, 2008
Romford UK
I've been using menthol crystals for MANY years, originally for minting up tobacco and filters for hand rolling a long time before tobacconists were selling menthol filters. I got the idea from an old boss , when I was doing my aprenticeship in Scotland, who had done the same for his National Service issue cigarettes.

I've always bought my crystals from a chemist 5g for about 80p and 5g is a lot of crystals, used to do me for at least 3 months. You sometimes have to ask for them, but all should have them.

Nuking liquid with crystals in, 10 second bursts should do it.

For dispersing in alchohol - I use distillers vodka or gin as it tends to be the least messed around with (and cheap) I'm liking the gin as a mixer for glycerine as I like the hint of juniper :)

I am an ex-asthma sufferer (bronchial that vanished when I started smoking) and have never had breathing problems from using them, well... maybe when I have been a bit heavy handed and got a crystal in my ciggy - like everything else it is best to be a little conservative rather than generous. Your initial temptation is to go for a nice heady mix (anyone remember Belair cigarettes? used to be quite powerful) but it is safer to use less.

One thought - menthol works by opening the airways to improve your breathing rate - so you could be inhaling more vapour than normal, if mixed with pg that could result in drying your lungs/airways out a little which could feel restrictive. They might be better with VG.

Last edited:

walkman4169

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2009
south warren
I've found dropping very small crystals into liquid and just leaving it to dissolve (no warming needed) works a treat. I've now 'rescued' 2 bottles of not-menthol-enough liquid this way - I do so hate to waste anything! No need with TW, but my Janty and E-cigs juice needed it to be truly useable for me.
what brand of analog would you compare the taste to ?

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Wow.....Just mixed my first batch of 0 nic using menthol crystals. 2ml PG 2ml VG and two Very small crystals.This is some great stuff.Nice menthol taste(not quite Puresmokers cash menthol taste),but it definetly close.Nice throat hit and good vapor.I used Katy's method of microwaving to disolve the crystals(5 sec for 4 ml),worked well.I wish I would have tried this sooner.....think this will become my mainstay 0 nic from now on!:)The Wiz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread