Menthol increases effects of nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
I was just reading some of the wiki on nicotine when I got to this part:
"Gluconuration and oxidative metabolism of nicotine to cotinine are both inhibited by menthol, an additive to mentholated cigarettes, thus increasing the half-life of nicotine in vivo."
Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is supported by a footnote link to a study, which if followed says:
"Our finding of impaired metabolism of nicotine while mentholated cigarette smoking suggests that mentholated cigarette smoking enhances systemic nicotine exposure."
Mentholated Cigarette Smoking Inhibits Nicotine Metabolism ? JPET

So if I'm reading this right, menthol causes nicotine to be broken down more slowly in the body, so that more of nicotine's effects are felt?

Does anybody more well-versed in science-speak want to confirm or clarify?
Thanks!

studinski

Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
on the road & Montgomery, AL
I was just reading some of the wiki on nicotine when I got to this part:
"Gluconuration and oxidative metabolism of nicotine to cotinine are both inhibited by menthol, an additive to mentholated cigarettes, thus increasing the half-life of nicotine in vivo."
[[en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine]Nicotine]Error[/url] - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

This is supported by a footnote link to a study, which if followed says:
"Our finding of impaired metabolism of nicotine while mentholated cigarette smoking suggests that mentholated cigarette smoking enhances systemic nicotine exposure."
[jpet.aspetjournals[/url] org/content/310/3/1208.abstract]Mentholated Cigarette Smoking Inhibits Nicotine Metabolism ? JPET[/url]

So if I'm reading this right, menthol causes nicotine to be broken down more slowly in the body, so that more of nicotine's effects are felt?

Does anybody more well-versed in science-speak want to confirm or clarify?
Thanks!
Increasing the half-life means that the initial dose (or doses) continues circulating through your system without noticeably breaking down. Impaired metabolism equates to the same thing.

Basically, the menthol in mentholated cigarettes is processed out of your system first and only as it's concentration is metabolized/excreted/processed, does your system begin to break down and process the nicotine.

This can be good: less 'need' for repeat cigarettes when smoking menthol cigarettes. Also can be bad: you aren't ex......g the nicotine as quickly and the blood/systemic levels continue to increase as it re-circulates through your system, waiting for its' chance at the queue....

Been a lot of years since I worked in the science/medical realm so I may be miswording the above. Basically, the study you cited equates to menthol being easier for the body to process, so our bodies being the lazy things they are, they process that first. Putting the nicotine on a back burner until the menthol levels decrease...

Hope this helps
Sarah

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
Me too! I find that Menthol is my natural inclination - even though I prefer RY4 and 555 more I always come back to Menthol as my primary.
I find that the menthol liquid satisfies me more than the other flavors. But, I do like vaping the other flavors too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread