Merlin by Augvape and Roxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
It is going to require a large coil(s) and high wattage considering the size of it. She originally told me That it was going to be flavor chaser along the lines of a kayfun or Hurricane types. This is about as far away from that as you can get.

No worries just was not what I was expecting.
Of course flavor is first and foremost subjective. That being said, flavor is not dependent on an atty's chamber size but on all aspects of it. How much airflow and where it hits the coil. Your build and how you wick it. How the inner chamber is shaped. How wide the chimney is. Hell, even what kind of driptip you use. Then there is the juice of course....

I'll reserve judgment on the Merlin but if Roxy's other design is any indication , this rta is going to kick ...! Just to be clear, I have over 30 RTA's and the Boreas produces better flavor than most of them at 40 watts with a big fat claptoned vertabraid build in it.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I ordered the black from STS. Didn't see the 10% off...oh well.

@suprtrkr - I was also curious about how the juice wells get fed. Hard to tell from the angle of that shot. Just wondering what the flow path is (or if there is) to the bottom of the deck well from the juice cups. Can the wick tails be spread into that other section of the deck or is it just the two small juice cups that get fed?
No idea, Raja. I'm waiting too. Those are good questions. Wicking rayon, as I do, I would probably cut 98% of the tail flush with the deck, and leave a tiny few threads to go down into the juice cup. That technique works on my Advken Ωega. But that's just a guess.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
No idea, Raja. I'm waiting too. Those are good questions. Wicking rayon, as I do, I would probably cut 98% of the tail flush with the deck, and leave a tiny few threads to go down into the juice cup. That technique works on my Advken Ωega. But that's just a guess.

It seems there might be some wicking options. Especially if you are doing vertical coils. Looking forward to getting delivery on this. But I will tell you a different drip tip will be one of the first things I do! Not a fan of tapered tips.

Reactions: MMW

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
It seems there might be some wicking options. Especially if you are doing vertical coils. Looking forward to getting delivery on this. But I will tell you a different drip tip will be one of the first things I do! Not a fan of tapered tips.
I heard that. FWIW, I hear the conical tip is gone in the production run. The new one is supposed to flare at the top, or something.

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
Of course flavor is first and foremost subjective. That being said, flavor is not dependent on an atty's chamber size but on all aspects of it. How much airflow and where it hits the coil. Your build and how you wick it. How the inner chamber is shaped. How wide the chimney is. Hell, even what kind of driptip you use. Then there is the juice of course....

I'll reserve judgment on the Merlin but if Roxy's other design is any indication , this RTA is going to kick ...! Just to be clear, I have over 30 RTA's and the Boreas produces better flavor than most of them at 40 watts with a big fat claptoned vertabraid build in it.
This! Well done Jim!
While chamber size has a part, it is only a fraction of what makes the RTA work to it's potential. As you pointed out, the Boreas. Big deck/chamber! Crazy flavor though. This has to do with the saturation and efficient juice feed with the direct airflow. Also, I don't build huge coils which was false reasoning posted earlier. My Boreas(huge deck/chamber) is running a dual coil, single strand, spaced 26g 7 wrap.

You mad, bro, or just waking up?
HI Dom! Just reading unsubstantiated comments and drinking coffee!

Exactly what I was thinking DP2Raja! I nice spaced vertical coil with outer wicking! Should be easy to build on!

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa

I'll reserve judgment on the Merlin but if Roxy's other design is any indication , this RTA is going to kick ...! Just to be clear, I have over 30 RTA's and the Boreas produces better flavor than most of them at 40 watts with a big fat claptoned vertabraid build in it.

It will be a good atty I am sure.

But not for a 1.5ohm coil at 15w. This is what I thought it was going to be for that is all I meant.

You guys will have a good time with it im sure and that is what counts :)

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
How is the omega?

CorallineAlgae

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Washington, LA
Thanks for the heads up, Todd. Looks like one hell of a tank. <3

Just a heads up if it hasn't been mentioned in here. Subtank Supply has been kind enough to give ECF members a 10% off coupon, that will work on the Merlin RTA.

ECF10 is the coupon code!
Thanks for posting the code. Just ordered the black version.

Reactions: Petabread

CorallineAlgae

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Washington, LA
I ordered the black from STS. Didn't see the 10% off...oh well.

@suprtrkr - I was also curious about how the juice wells get fed. Hard to tell from the angle of that shot. Just wondering what the flow path is (or if there is) to the bottom of the deck well from the juice cups. Can the wick tails be spread into that other section of the deck or is it just the two small juice cups that get fed?
Here's a computer image that shows the wicking pretty clearly. Also has a shot of how the 2.4mm airflow reducer is installed.
13140775_10154115624847346_1721691084_n__66567.1462417584.1280.1280.jpg

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
How is the omega?
It's a fine atty, actually. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention. Nothing super special, but a solid workhorse. Good flavor, and flexible in build. Mine is currently out of rotation; broke the glass.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Has anybody heard when we can expect the Merlin to start shipping? I wonder if it will take longer for the black tanks to arrive.
No definitive date, AFAIK. I'm sure STS will ship the day he gets them. He did with the Boreas, and he's a super dude. I have heard the blacks are expected "several days" after the stainless.

CorallineAlgae

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Washington, LA
No definitive date, AFAIK. I'm sure STS will ship the day he gets them. He did with the Boreas, and he's a super dude. I have heard the blacks are expected "several days" after the stainless.
Thanks a bunch suprtrkr. Glad I went with STS. It's my first order with them so it's great to hear he's a stand up guy. I definitely don't mind waiting for the black one. Stainless steel tanks have been piling up atop my mods lately. Time to get matchy-matchy.

Reactions: suprtrkr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread