Mesh Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
I do believe the opposite to be true.

Mesh relies in quickly warming up a wide area of the wick in presence of a massive airflow, with much lower thermal gradients, and lower temperature in general.

All of this - in a very nimble fashion, following the small thermal inertia which is conseguent to the lower heather mass.

Therefore, a single large mesh coil is, from an engineering point of view, the most effective setup.

Multiple mesh brings back excessive heating mass into the coil, defeating the very reason which brought mesh coils into being.

Of course, not everybody vapes with thermal gradients in mind, and they may prefer a less efficient setup with slower ramp up time that - in turn - produce vape droplets of bigger size, which are perceived as "better flavour" by some.

I prefer the biggest single mesh coil I can find, waiting for the SS versions to hit the shelves.

Variety is the beauty of vaping...

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Single SS mesh strips give me exceptional flavor in my mesh RDA's running the DIY's I mix for them. The mesh RDA's have been my favorite top gear for around a year. I have 14 +1 of them... the +1 is in town but hasn't been delivered to my mailbox yet - maybe today. I run the Digiflavor Mesh Pro's, Wotofo Profiles and Vandy Vape Mesh RDA's on 2X700 battery regulated squonk mods almost all of the time. But occasionally 2-3 may find their way to 18650 single or 18650 dual parallel battery mech squonk gear for a while (and for maybe a couple of weeks now 2 have been being dripped at my desk on dual series 18650 battery TC mods for a change).

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I do believe the opposite to be true.

Mesh relies in quickly warming up a wide area of the wick in presence of a massive airflow, with much lower thermal gradients, and lower temperature in general.

All of this - in a very nimble fashion, following the small thermal inertia which is conseguent to the lower heather mass.

Therefore, a single large mesh coil is, from an engineering point of view, the most effective setup.

Multiple mesh brings back excessive heating mass into the coil, defeating the very reason which brought mesh coils into being.

Of course, not everybody vapes with thermal gradients in mind, and they may prefer a less efficient setup with slower ramp up time that - in turn - produce vape droplets of bigger size, which are perceived as "better flavour" by some.

I prefer the biggest single mesh coil I can find, waiting for the SS versions to hit the shelves.

Variety is the beauty of vaping...

Interesting perspective even if a little too technical for a groggy Wednesday morning. The actual density of the mesh changes with the different style of coils to keep resistance at check. So, despite the triple may not be as dense and a single, they are able to achieve the same or greater surface area while keeping the mass to a minimum. But where I believe the multiple mesh coils shine is by condensing the airflow through them. What is the vapor to air ratio of a single large opening vs multiple smaller openings?

I haven’t tried the quad mesh coils. I seem to prefer the dual and triple over the single.

Reactions: dennism

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
eQHcrmg.jpg

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
What is the vapor to air ratio of a single large opening vs multiple smaller openings?

The parameters to consider in design, which influences the "flavour" are air speed, and vapor density - which I mentioned above as "size of the vape droplets" for sake of clarity.

The relationship between size of the heating chamber, the air inlet chamber, and the exit chamber, only influences how thermal power vaporise the liquid, following the exact same maths used in a car engine design.

The basic consideration about air speed, is the longer the air is in the heating chamber (in contact with the coil) the more flavor and nicotine it will extract.
Low air speed is for low nic e-liquids, higher air speeds are used for MTL with high nic e-liquids.

The correct design of an atomiser is an highly complex task, and to the best of my knowledge, there are no modeling software available.

Often, in an attempt to improve flavour, you may increase a parameter, which in turn will unknowingly overlook another one, with the net result of decreasing the perceived total flavour.

I haven't proceeded with calculations, but my feeling is that multiple mesh coil do increase air turbulence - the enemy n. 1 of flavour, offsetting all the advantages of low coil mass, lower temperature and faster ramp-up times.

In parallel to drop in coils, the current RTA business - it seems to me - is following instead a trial-and-error design process, as no specs are released from the manufacturers about their devices.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The parameters to consider in design, which influences the "flavour" are air speed, and vapor density - which I mentioned above as "size of the vape droplets" for sake of clarity.

The relationship between size of the heating chamber, the air inlet chamber, and the exit chamber, only influences how thermal power vaporise the liquid, following the exact same maths used in a car engine design.

The basic consideration about air speed, is the longer the air is in the heating chamber (in contact with the coil) the more flavor and nicotine it will extract.
Low air speed is for low nic e-liquids, higher air speeds are used for MTL with high nic e-liquids.

The correct design of an atomiser is an highly complex task, and to the best of my knowledge, there are no modeling software available.

Often, in an attempt to improve flavour, you may increase a parameter, which in turn will unknowingly overlook another one, with the net result of decreasing the perceived total flavour.

I haven't proceeded with calculations, but my feeling is that multiple mesh coil do increase air turbulence - the enemy n. 1 of flavour, offsetting all the advantages of low coil mass, lower temperature and faster ramp-up times.

In parallel to drop in coils, the current RTA business - it seems to me - is following instead a trial-and-error design process, as no specs are released from the manufacturers about their devices.

Nice post…intriguing! :thumb:

Agree that turbulence is flavour enemy #1, but turbulence can be mitigated with multiple smaller holes vs 1 large. I am open this would be dependent on design and placement of air flow. And yes...a lot of trial and error!

As for low vs high mass coils – I am of belief that the quickest ramp up is not necessary the best and will be dependent on the flavour notes of the juice. Certain notes can be activated at certain temperatures, extending the time in which it takes to reach the final temp of a higher mass coil could mean said notes arrive at our taste buds at different intervals thus giving the perception of improved flavour. However, a happy medium still needs to be achieved for too long of a ramp up is just impractical. And of course I have no objective data to back this up. But using different mass coils of similar dimensions with complex juices may demonstrate this in effect. A chocolate coffee flavour as an example, the chocolate could be more pronounced with one coil vs another. At least with my findings.

Saying that, higher mass usually dictates lower resistance which also dictates current draw – how much does this play into effect? And with mesh being very low in mass to begin with, is there enough of a difference in mass with a triple mesh coil vs a single to really make a perceived difference with ramp up?

Vaping is very subjective and I do not think there is hard evidence that dictates one design will always be preferred over another.

Last edited:

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Getting into the fluidodynamics of a tank can became complex quickly. All I can say, only few tanks carry the "imprint" of airflow and liquid flow design, and they are the usual suspects, i. e. the Svoemesto, Taifun, Squape, and the Kabuki - with its signature laminar airflow... It didn't happen by chance!

Did a test now, regarding the single vs multiple mesh coils: they both achieve pretty impressive results, but you can still spot a difference if you Vape them comparatively.

Which I did with two same tanks, same mod, same e-liquid, but with a single and triple mesh, to verify my ipothesys.

And Yes, the single mesh generate lower temperature compared to triple - with same power applied.

Therefore, the triple mesh do seems to produce better flavour with some e-liquids, but only because you have those 20 C more.

So, triple mesh, has better flavor, but the counter altar is, coil life of the triple is a pity compared to single mesh.

Mesh is free from the quick buildup of burned sugary residue, because of lower operating temp, but this is less true with triple mesh.

Again, the differences between single and multiple mesh can be marginal. I prefer single. But as everything in vaping, it is subjective, and ultimately dependent on the properties of the e-liquid used.

In the single / multiple mesh case compare, depends on the temperature your e-liquid gives the best flavour.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
But there is no fact behind a triple mesh coil not lasting as long as a single. In order to achieve any kind of conclusion, tests would have to be conducted in a controlled manner…how we vape is not controlled.

It is easy for us to compare a coil/mesh of different values while applying the same amount of power. But is that a fair comparison? As soon as you change a parameter such as resistance, the rest of the playing field is no longer equal despite the fact your device reads the same amount of power in watts.

You have concluded that a triple mesh reached 20 C more than a single therefore produced better flavour. Not sure how you came to that but what if we increased the power to the single so that it reached the same temperature, would that also increase flavour?

I do not think there is any easy way to objectively say a single coil will last longer, or that a triple will produce more flavour - therefore we rely on our subjective opinions to draw conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread