Message for those finding that vaping is too "harsh"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

moze229

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2011
Central NC, USA
I tried to post this is the new vapers section, but I guess since I'm not "new" anymore, I can't start a post there.

I've read in threads over and over again, especially in the newcomers, that sometimes or perhaps even all of the time, excess harshness is an issue. A new vapor might claim that when smoking a regular cigarette that they do not get this "harshness". However, picking up a vape creates an uncomfortable experience. Over the last couple of years of vaping, struggling with changing up between smoking and vaping, and trying to stay off cigarettes, I've found a few bits of solid information that cause this "harshness", at least for me. At first I thought that it was the juices that I was trying, and in some cases it may be. People tend to focus on juice strengths and bases (PG vs. VG) rather than a couple of more simple things to consider. Some people even just try saying that you just have to "get used to it" or "that's just the way vaping is". Well, I'm here to tell you that's not the case. The vaping experience should be no more "harsh" or uncomfortable than smoking a regular cigarette. This is not comprehensive, but rather from my experience. Most experienced vapers will know these things, but newcomers may not.

1.) Dry hits - I don't know why or understand the science behind it, but when you take a rather long drag off of your vaping equipment of choice and very little vapor is produced, it's bad. It can be really bad. If you remember ever having a little cigarette smoke go down the wrong way and recall how you coughed…imagine that times like 20. This is always caused by malfunctioning equipment. It may not be the equipment's fault, but there is a malfunction somewhere. Bad connection, bad coil, gunked up coil, bad juice mix, not using the equipment properly, dirty battery, etc. Look for these things first.

2.) Gunked up coils - This is the number one cause of lung irritation for me. As I mentioned, I've been struggling between vaping and smoking for a long while. Sometimes when I go on a vaping strike, my coil sits around and the coated juice on the coil hardens. Then when you go to use it, all of that hardened, carbonized, concentrated material burns off the coil and goes into your lungs. I'm not sure what this "gunk" is comprised of, but it's going to depend on the juices you are using. I suspect some type of sugar base to the culprit. I even have this happen on occasion when vaping regularly. Sometimes you can just vape it for a while and it will go away, but more often than not it just needs to be burned off.

If you are a tank user, use your coils properly and clean them often. I find that dry burning is the most effective cleaning procedure for me. Don't be a cheap a like me and try to use them until they are falling apart and leaking everywhere. Cartomizers can be cleaned also, but should likely just be chucked after a few refills. (I've gotten more dry hits off of cartomizers than anything else, and there isn't always a good explanation.)

3.) Juice sensitivity - This is one that held me back for a while until I discovered what the deal was. It's not just certain juices that do it to me, but all of them. I cannot vape juices straight. My personal opinion is that the trend in juices right now is to make the flavors as strong as possible without gagging someone to death. I mix my juices 50/50 with unflavored juices. Unflavored juices can be purchased just like flavored juices and have the same available nic content and VG/PG base. And vaped alone, they aren't bad, at least to me. There's something in the flavorings that irritates me. I like to have some flavoring though, so I tried mixing 50/50 one time and never went back.

These are just some things to look at if you are struggling with the switch to vaping because of "harshness". I'm sure that there are many others, but I believe these to be the biggest culprits. PG/VG is one possibility, since some people tend to have sensitivities to one or the other. But I think all too often, the flavorings that we are using and the equipment we are using is overlooked. People jump to the juice type or nicotine strength as the problem and I just don't think that's the case as often as I see it.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Good post. I particularly agree that gunk/slow wicking is a main culprit (OMHO).

For those doing DIY juice, a bit of water in the mix helps too. For purchased juice, steeping is different from different vendors...some have sat, others are made fresh and need to steep.
Nic % is the biggest factor in harshness, but if it isn't vaporized well it's harsh no matter what. Overly hot is harsh too, but differently.
Air flow matters too. A lot more than you think.

That's why VV or VW is so nice, you can adjust the heat easily as juice/coil/wick changes. I always find a new coil+wick to be the smoothest, regardless of juice.

sos2001

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2014
South Carolina
I made the mistake of thinking I needed the highest possible nic level. I thought I had to have 24mg to have any chance to quit analogs. I eventually dropped to 18mg. The funny thing is I didn't stop analogs all together until I switched to 12mg. I'm now ordering 6mg and using 3mg in drippers. That 24mg made me cough worse than a hand rolled cig. Once I found juices that didn't smell or taste like perfume or a chemcial plant helped also.

moze229

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2011
Central NC, USA
You can't start a thread in the New Members after you have 70 posts. A lot of us never would have moved on to the other areas with out that rule but you can still post in there. Nice post! :)

Good to know. Thanks!

Good post. I particularly agree that gunk/slow wicking is a main culprit (OMHO).

For those doing DIY juice, a bit of water in the mix helps too. For purchased juice, steeping is different from different vendors...some have sat, others are made fresh and need to steep.
Nic % is the biggest factor in harshness, but if it isn't vaporized well it's harsh no matter what. Overly hot is harsh too, but differently.
Air flow matters too. A lot more than you think.

That's why VV or VW is so nice, you can adjust the heat easily as juice/coil/wick changes. I always find a new coil+wick to be the smoothest, regardless of juice.

I agree. New coils/wicks are always the most enjoyable. After a week or so, I have to resort to dry burning to get the gunk off. UNLESS I'm using flavorless.

I sometimes suspect people not shaking their liquid enough. And wonder about full bottles with no space to shake in.

I never shake really. I didn't know that was required. Is it? LOL Maybe that's another one of my problems. I don't really see what that's going to do though, since the makeup of e-juice doesn't really separate.

The problem I had is, I just had to give my throat a chance to heal from the smoke damage as well as just get used to the vape. Now I can vape anything at any nic level.

It's been two months now and the only time I choke anymore is when I first wake up.

This is a good point. I've read where many people say that once they stop smoking all together, this variation in harshness goes away for them. This may be a part of the "getting used to it" thing. Perhaps there is some portion that our body does become accustomed to after a while.

Some people talk about how they gagged and coughed when they first started smoking. I never had that problem. Smoking has always been easy and trouble free for me. Not a good thing, but true. I was so disappointed when I was having problems when I first started vaping, thinking that it just wasn't going to work for me.

I think a lot of issues people have are due to cheap juice and using wicks/coils beyond their ideal life..

Yeah. I started with a not-to-be-named vendor that had juice from China. Whether or not that made any difference, I can't be sure. They were also pre-filled cartomizers that were probably all dried out to begin with. That's where my problems started.

moze229

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2011
Central NC, USA
I made the mistake of thinking I needed the highest possible nic level. I thought I had to have 24mg to have any chance to quit analogs. I eventually dropped to 18mg. The funny thing is I didn't stop analogs all together until I switched to 12mg. I'm now ordering 6mg and using 3mg in drippers. That 24mg made me cough worse than a hand rolled cig. Once I found juices that didn't smell or taste like perfume or a chemcial plant helped also.

I never seemed to have an issue with higher nic levels. I'm using 24mg now, and it seems to be about right. When I'm vaping regularly, it seems to handle my cravings. Nic is going to have some harshness to it - the higher the nic level, the more harshness. But there is a difference between throat hit and harshness. The harshness that I was referring to is NOT throat hit. It's like inhaling acid or something. Nic seems to help with throat hit. It's hard to explain this stuff in words, but I know what you mean. Glad that you are moving down the ladder on levels.

Juices that are perfumy or alcoholic in nature irritate me the most. I just don't understand how anyone vapes any of the stuff full strength. It's all so strong. I guess we are all different. :) I could smoke a filterless cigarette or even inhale a cigar and it wouldn't phase me. Give me full strength juice and I'll hack up a lung. Go figure.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
I remember how harsh the vape seemed when I first started vaping. It was very hard to inhale, very scratchy for a little while. Bu this did`nt last for more then a few days. And now I`m easing into full on throat hits.

While I think you offered some good info, I do believe some of it is just getting used to the totally new delivery system, IE, you are trying to inhale vapor instead of smoke. The throat has to adjust to this and the only way to do it, for me, was to keep acclimating my throat to it. I was`nt an addicted smoker overnight, it took a few years to get there. Vaping is not something that you just pick up and everything goes hunky dorey overnight.

The easiest way for a new vaper to get used to the radical change that is vapor vs. smoke, is to go with a straight VG mix with as little nic as they can handle without getting too twitchy. Once you get used to it you can make changes slowly as you see fit and as you acclimate to the new delivery system. Right now I am vaping straight PG and digging the throat hit (and scratchiness) it produces.

And lets face some facts, if you were never a smoker to begin with, and are finding that vaping is irritating your throat and there is nothing you can seemingly do about it, maybe, just maybe, vaping is not for you. Stop trying to be cool and let it go.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Harsh Vapes come in many forms from flavoring to gunk to one of the most often missed. Poor Air flow.

If you are not getting smooth flow over the wick and coil, it matters not what juice or How new the coil is. When using a topper like a Kanger, I pop the chimney before installing and make sure the coils are properly spaced and aligned in the center of the air path.

One of the reasons I moved to RBA devices. I like being in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread