Michigan first state to ban flavored ecigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
I still don't get why carding purchasers isn't an option. Sure, there are fake ID's and teenagers who look 21, but you don't hear the same cry going out about under age alcohol purchases. I also don't hear threats of tobacco Cigarette bans.

vaping for teens is obviously the new way to deliver other banned substances. I can see, as AttyPops mentioned, the use of things that we know are bad when vaped, but uninformed teens will use to deliver whatever it is they want to inhale.

Coca-Cola has long been a medium for administering alcohol in teens, and yet it hasn't been banned.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
A politician fudging numbers, perish the thought.

Technically, the actual Tweeking will come from the Michigan Department of Health. Who is Not supposed to be a Political entity.

But for All Intent and Purpose, they have All become Political Entities in one form or Another.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Technically the actual Tweeking will come from the Michigan Department of Health. Who is Not supposed to be a Political entity.

The Kentucky Department of Public Health has been politicized for several years. In larger cities the D'sPH have become rather radical in their quest to save us from our selves.

Dr. Seuss

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2019
It appears to me that it isn't about health and saving teens or any of that. It is about power and money, period. Those with the money/power to influence win.
Bingo! Believing “they” have your best interest in mind is foolish. Here’s the thing, your vote doesn’t mean anything either. All that matters in life is money and control through money.... not logic, not reason, definitely not truth and in that circle, not love. Money, and keeping people running. You can’t control people if they have time to sit around and think or formulate plans past “gotta make rent”.

It’s all a lie, based on some Leave it to Beaver fantasy these idiots posing with their wonderful perfect 8 children sell. Carding doesn’t work, never has never will... everyone has an older brother or a friend with an older brother that will be happy to buy whatever for you. I stood outside of stores and waited for “the right guy” to get me half gallons of vodka. I worked with older guys who bought me beer and liquor. You can not stop it, you might make it difficult on any random weekend, but you won’t stop it, ever. All of these things are just excuses that you can’t counter because if you did you would be “the bad guy”.

Vaping is killing a flow of currency to these people that can not be ignored. So, you have what we see. Not health, not the babies, nothing... it’s money. Realizing this makes the whole debate very simple. This logic applies to all matters of our current system. Idolatry at it’s finest ladies and gentlemen, get in line to receive your mark.

Last edited:

Dr. Seuss

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2019
Also, as an example of your options, medical herb is not around because someone “saw the light” it’s because people risked freedom, financial ruin, losing job opportunites, and their lives to keep it here. It was worth it.

It’s here because those powers that be had no choice. How bad do you want to vape?

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Lol! Geese.. why didnt they ban menthol cigarettes decades ago if it was the whole reason why kids started smoking????

6 month ban that she can renew for another 6 months!

Hopefully she's out the next election!

Personally I could care less for me as I've been vaping flavorless for 5+ years now. Make my own.

But ya know it's all about killing off vaping and it starts with kids. Kill the growth.

Sweet flavors never stopped young kids from starting to smoke in the first place.

What are people that vape menthol going to do now? Go back to cigarettes??

Guess that's the point!

Theirs way more important issues in mi then vaping!!

Damn government trying to control the people per usual.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Not sure I understand the whole 6 month timeline with a possible renewal for 6 months after. What's that all about? Will things be different in 6 months as far as underage vaping, other than all the vape shops that go out of business leaving sales to 7 Eleven and the gas stations? Isn't that sorta the opposite of what you want, as vape shops have a very good record on age verification and compliance, while the convenience stores have a terrible one?

I mean, we all get that these bans are irrational, but this one seems more irrational than others.

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
Not sure I understand the whole 6 month timeline with a possible renewal for 6 months after. What's that all about? Will things be different in 6 months as far as underage vaping, other than all the vape shops that go out of business leaving sales to 7 Eleven and the gas stations? Isn't that sorta the opposite of what you want, as vape shops have a very good record on age verification and compliance, while the convenience stores have a terrible one?

I mean, we all get that these bans are irrational, but this one seems more irrational than others.
I think it's because she can't get the state legislature to cooperate with her. I think the 6 month thing is her equivalent of an executive order.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
Lol! Geese.. why didnt they ban menthol cigarettes decades ago if it was the whole reason why kids started smoking????

If they banned that how would they ever pay for private jets to fly from Coast to Coast. I can think of many things they are, which I won't go into but stupid isn't one of them. :)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Why haven’t they banned menthol cigarettes, flavored cigars/cigarillos, sugary energy drinks, fruity alcohol? The list goes on and on. I thought that progressive politicians cared about marginalized groups in society. Apparently, vapers aren’t worthy of such special treatment.

In Chicago, we tried to tax soft drinks, and the public fought back hard until it was repealed. I’d bet my entire life savings that they wouldn’t create even a fraction of that uproar if flavored e-cigarettes were taxed (or banned for that matter).
Because I suspect the data and money are coming from obfusticated BT sources. Even the ANTZ can wind up with BT money and data if they’re not looking hard enough.

Reactions: NolaMel

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I think it's because she can't get the state legislature to cooperate with her. I think the 6 month thing is her equivalent of an executive order.

Hard to believe the legislature opposed this because they thought it was a bad idea, it was an idea being pushed by a Governor from the other party.

Given their history Indiana probably won't be far behind Michigan. I suppose I'll write some more letters to them when the time comes. But they are a one party State so they don't care, their reelection is a foregone conclusion. California is a one party State, from the other party, and they are just as bad as Indiana when it comes to social engineering. Michigan is a divided government State and that apparently wasn't any better.

Based on history I think there's a chance that some States won't go along with this tide for whatever reason. But will there be enough to sustain a national vape industry? Small vendors will be hard pressed to keep up with constantly changing State regulations and who they are allowed to mail what to this week.

When it's time for the feds to come in and clean up there might not be much left for them to do.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not sure I understand the whole 6 month timeline with a possible renewal for 6 months after. What's that all about? ...

I would say that the Governor wants Immediate Action.

But in the Absence of a State Law, that She leaves herself open to a Stronger Legal Challenge by using Executive Powers.

So she signs her name to an Action. But then gets the Legislative Body to back her down the road.

BTW - Wouldn't a piece of Legislation Exempt FDA Approved e-Cigarettes to give the Illusion of Fairness to the average Citizen?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

Incrementalism, like the frog in the pan of water. Well, the ban is just for six months, see how it goes, it might work. At least she's doing something. Well, give it six more months, the first time around may not have been long enough. Gosh, it's been eighteen months - we haven't seen any more stories about dying kids, this ban must work. Heck, make it permanent.

The goal is not to keep kids in gas stations safe; the goal is a ban on vaping. They will get there and the majority will happily go along.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Michigan bans flavored e-cigarettes to curb youth vaping epidemic

In a joint statement, the American Heart Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Cancer Society, American Lung Association, the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids and the Truth Initiative called Whitmer's action "necessary and appropriate."

"In the absence of strong federal regulation, parents have been blindsided by the e-cigarette epidemic," the groups wrote. "The time for waiting is over. The FDA must immediately remove all flavored e-cigarettes from the market nationwide, prohibit all marketing to children and prohibit online sales of e-cigarettes."

Harbinger of things to come. May have to double my frozen DIY stockpile of flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread