Status
Not open for further replies.

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Gov. Rick Snyder vetoes e-cigarette bills, says not tough enough

Snyder said the measures don't go far enough to regulate e-cigarettes, the increasingly popular devices that heat a nicotine solution to a vapor. The devices are used by some in bars and restaurants since the state instituted a smoking ban in restaurants and have become increasingly popular among youth, who can buy flavored solutions.

"We need to make sure that e-cigarettes and other nicotine-containing devices are regulated in the best interest of public health," Snyder said in a statement. "It's important that these devices be treated like tobacco products and help people become aware of the dangers e-cigarettes pose."

:mad:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I think what Snyder actually meant to say is that it's important that these devices be treated like tobacco products so that the taxation of these devices can cover taxes lost in tobacco revenue and eventually replace all tobacco tax revenue when tobacco becomes obsolete.
Maybe.
Perhaps even probably.

But never underestimate the zealous nature of those who actually believe the following...
--Nicotine is evil and bad for you and super addictive
--Kids using nicotine is a disaster
--Flavors lure unsuspecting kids into a lifetime of addiction

All of which I am certain is mostly crap.
Unfortunately, a huge percentage of the population believes said crap.

It's the idea that nicotine is all these bad things...
That's what we HAVE to change.

But first, we have to understand that ourselves.
And too many don't.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
This thread has been alive for two hours now. Where's the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how the evil liberals want to kill vaping on the way to enslaving all of us us in, forced-labor, prison camps? Ohhhh, that's riiiight. Rick Snyder isn't a liberal.

Just because he's a Republican doesn't mean he isn't a liberal. Theodore Roosevelt was a "Progressive" Republican. See also, John McCain, Chris Christie, and too many more to mention, but you'll see them show up on CNN, MSNBC as the "Republican" guests on their shows - like the three "Davids" - David Brooks, David Frum and David Rodham Gergen.... a bit like Pat Caddell on Fox as a "democrat" :)

Plus there are a few Dem sponsors on the legislation that someone forgot to mention.... Bill noted it though.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

AndrewVolstead.jpg

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
This thread has been alive for two hours now. Where's the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how the evil liberals want to kill vaping on the way to enslaving all of us us in, forced-labor, prison camps? Ohhhh, that's riiiight. Rick Snyder isn't a liberal.

Um, seems like your the one gnashing...:p

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
For me, this is the most disturbing part of the article (from the Detroit News):

“The medical science is clear — e-cigarettes are dangerous and threaten the health of children,” said Dr. James Grant, president of the Michigan State Medical Society. “Gov. Snyder has been a remarkable advocate for Michigan children, infants and expectant mothers and his veto today puts the welfare of our kids before the profits of big tobacco companies.”

...um, what?

I'm simply stunned. This man single-handedly allows minors to continue legally buying e-cigs and he is a hero for his efforts to protect them from the dangers of e-cigs? What? How the.....?

If this were about guns, and it were legal fro minor to buy guns in his state, and he vetoed a law that would prohibit selling guns to minors because he wanted to wait for "tougher regulation" he would have been crucified, not applauded for his efforts to protect children.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
For me, this is the most disturbing part of the article (from the Detroit News):

"The medical science is clear: E-cigarettes are dangerous and threaten the health of children," said Dr. James D. Grant, president of the Michigan State Medical Societyin a statement. "This action ensures that the state is putting the welfare of Michigan children and families first."
...um, what?

As bad as it is, at least we have some -- like one of the bill's sponsors -- that appears to get it, or at least he gets some of it. Here is his quote form the same article:

"I think it was a big mistake," said Sen. Rick Jones, R- Grand Ledge, one of the sponsors of the bills. "Recent studies have shown that the use of electronic cigarettes by children is way up and that needs to be controlled by state authorities."

He won't support further regulation — or taxing — e-cigarettes because other nicotine delivery devices, like patches and gum, aren't taxed like tobacco products.

"Many of my friends have used them to get off of cigarettes," Jones said. "I don't want to discourage people from giving up that nasty habit and moving into something safer."

I'm simply stunned. This man single-handedly allows minors to continue legally buying e-cigs and he is a hero for his efforts to protect them from the dangers of e-cigs? What? How the.....?

If this were about guns, and it were legal for minor to buy guns in his state, and he vetoed a law that would prohibit selling guns to minors because he wanted to wait for "tougher regulation" he would have been crucified, not applauded for his efforts to protect children.

Yep, remarkably backwards.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Michigan is where I live. It appears there are some legislators who get it. I'm seeing some respectable news sources who might not be pleased about taxing vaping. Snyder likes to talk about education. That takes money. Most soccer moms would cheerfully send me to an early grave it got their little Jimmy a little better experience at school. I think Snyder is all in on that unless taxing our vape is going to be a real pain in the ....

How many vape shops are there in Michigan? How many new vapers per day or per week who stick with it? How fast is the army growing? Is it fast enough?

Hey, what's with the ... censorship? he he...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread