Micro coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrl

Oct 24, 2013
New Zealand
Hi guys,

Just got into making my own coil and was wondering if you guys could comment.

I was planning wrap my coils around the tip of the juice dripper. My coil is a kanthal a1 wire 32AWG.

I want to achieve 1.5-2ohm. To reach 1.5ohm how many wraps do I need? I am using a Vamo V5 and Protank 2/2 mini.

Any advice will help thanks :)

AtDiJ1Y.jpg

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
With a 1 mm inner diameter and a target ohm of 1.8 that would require 7/6 wraps according to my "vaper's toolbox" app.

So that's me assuming the needle is 1 mm in diameter.

What are you planning to use for wick? Are you planning to thread wick through or surround the coil with a "cloud" like a dragon coil build?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

unrl

Oct 24, 2013
New Zealand
With a 1 mm inner diameter and a target ohm of 1.8 that would require 7/6 wraps according to my "vaper's toolbox" app.

So that's me assuming the needle is 1 mm in diameter.

What are you planning to use for wick? Are you planning to thread wick through or surround the coil with a "cloud" like a dragon coil build?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Using cotton as wick :) Am not sure how the "cloud" looks like, any pics? May try it out :D

I don't know about 32g but 9/10 wraps of 28g will get you right at 1.2ohms.

Basically 28g is thinner than 32g am I right? So I read somewhere that using a cocktail tooth pick will give me about 2ohms if I wrap 5-6 so if I wrap less around 3-4 I may just get between 1.5-1.8ohms. Possibly?

Tugg n chase

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
South Jersey
Will definitely try to get an ohm meter.

The coil will have to be set into the protank before I can measure the ohm am I right?

Just screw the coil in the base and attach the base to the reader. The good thing about rebuilding your own coils is that kanthal is cheap and if you aren't happy with the build, or are shorting out, you can rebuild it again

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
unrl:12028367 said:
"Second nature" can get you in trouble :)
As Dice rec, get an ohm's meter or a multimeter to be safe :)

Will definitely try to get an ohm meter.

The coil will have to be set into the protank before I can measure the ohm am I right?

No, you NEED an ohms checker. Don't build without one, unless you want to short your batteries and ruin your stuff. Don't just "try" to get one.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi guys,

I was planning wrap my coils around the tip of the juice dripper. My coil is a kanthal a1 wire 32AWG.

I want to achieve 1.5-2ohm. To reach 1.5ohm how many wraps do I need? I am using a Vamo V5 and Protank 2/2 mini.

AtDiJ1Y.jpg

Get an Ohm meter and measure what length of the wire gives you 2 ohm; that is the LENGTH to use; it is not the number of wraps that matter, it is the LENGTH.

Remember to check the meter for zero offset

Hi guys,

AtDiJ1Y.jpg

I know nothing about building E-Cig coils, but I do know about resistance wire.

It'll have a very linear resistance per foot measurement.. You can check it with a multimeter (Or if it's spec'ed, just look at that) and divide from there to get the length you need.

If you're wrapping a coil, a small, coarse thread screw might help.. Maybe wrap it around that?

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
Using cotton as wick :) Am not sure how the "cloud" looks like, any pics? May try it out :D

Basically 28g is thinner than 32g am I right? So I read somewhere that using a cocktail tooth pick will give me about 2ohms if I wrap 5-6 so if I wrap less around 3-4 I may just get between 1.5-1.8ohms. Possibly?

No, you are wrong. 28 guage is thicker. the thicker the wire the less resistance the lower the ohm, depending on the wrap. 32 guage is a nice guage to learn to wick coils. Since you got that you should be in good shape. harbor freight ohm meter get one they are only 5 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread