The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Micro coil

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by unrl, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. unrl

unrl Full Member

Oct 24, 2013
    New Zealand
    Hi guys,

Just got into making my own coil and was wondering if you guys could comment.

I was planning wrap my coils around the tip of the juice dripper. My coil is a kanthal a1 wire 32AWG.

I want to achieve 1.5-2ohm. To reach 1.5ohm how many wraps do I need? I am using a Vamo V5 and Protank 2/2 mini.

Any advice will help thanks :)

[​IMG]

2. Btsmokincat

Btsmokincat Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2013
    Waterville ME
    With a 1 mm inner diameter and a target ohm of 1.8 that would require 7/6 wraps according to my "vaper's toolbox" app.

So that's me assuming the needle is 1 mm in diameter.

What are you planning to use for wick? Are you planning to thread wick through or surround the coil with a "cloud" like a dragon coil build?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. el Jexican

el Jexican Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I don't know about 32g but 9/10 wraps of 28g will get you right at 1.2ohms.

4. AmandaD

AmandaD Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    So Cal
    I use a needle tip also, but with 30 gauge. 12 wraps gets me to 1.95 ohms. I either use rolled cotton, or - more recently - 2 strands of Peaches and Cream threaded through the coil, which gives a very nice vape!

5. unrl

unrl Full Member

Oct 24, 2013
    New Zealand
    Using cotton as wick :) Am not sure how the "cloud" looks like, any pics? May try it out :D

Basically 28g is thinner than 32g am I right? So I read somewhere that using a cocktail tooth pick will give me about 2ohms if I wrap 5-6 so if I wrap less around 3-4 I may just get between 1.5-1.8ohms. Possibly?

6. dedi

dedi Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2010
    Rochester NY
    No matter how many wraps or what gauge wire you use make sure you test the resistance BEFORE you fire it on your battery:)

7. dedi

Mar 8, 2010
    Rochester NY
    As the numbers go down the wire is larger.

8. Joka

Joka Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    CleVegas TN.
    Lower gauge increases the size, like wire or needles, zero gauge is about the size of a pencil, 24 gauge is the "normal" standard for ear rings, a nail is 8 gauge I think, make a little sense?

9. dice57

dice57 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Wa
    It's best to just get an atomizer ohm meter and know for sure, guessing can be dangerous. Once you get micro's down, it becomes second nature to know how many wraps it takes to get the desired ohm's build. They are just that consistent of a build.

10. dedi

Mar 8, 2010
    Rochester NY
    "Second nature" can get you in trouble :)
    As Dice rec, get an ohm's meter or a multimeter to be safe :)

11. unrl

unrl Full Member

Oct 24, 2013
    New Zealand
    Will definitely try to get an ohm meter.

The coil will have to be set into the protank before I can measure the ohm am I right?

12. cramptholomew

cramptholomew Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 2, 2013
    Maryland
    6 or 7 wraps of 32g around that tip should put you in the range you're looking for. Get a multimeter and/or an ohms checker thing. I use sterile cotton for all my wicks.

13. Tugg n chase

Tugg n chase Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    South Jersey
    Just screw the coil in the base and attach the base to the reader. The good thing about rebuilding your own coils is that kanthal is cheap and if you aren't happy with the build, or are shorting out, you can rebuild it again

14. cramptholomew

cramptholomew Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 2, 2013
    Maryland
    No, you NEED an ohms checker. Don't build without one, unless you want to short your batteries and ruin your stuff. Don't just "try" to get one.

15. Tugg n chase

Tugg n chase Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    South Jersey
    And if you do like the build....you can remove the wick after a while, dry burn the gunk off the coil, and rewick it again

16. dedi

Mar 8, 2010
    Rochester NY
    Yes, that is correct. I am not that familiar with protank but I do know it needs to be in place with rubber thing that holds the legs of the wire.

17. unrl

unrl Full Member

Oct 24, 2013
    New Zealand
    Sweet cheers guys. Will definitely give this a go. And will definitely get the ohm meter cramptholomew :D

Btw so far using 100% cotton gives me good results with having another cotton on top of the wick (as a flavour wick) and flipping the grommet around also stops gurgling etc.

18. edyle

edyle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Get an Ohm meter and measure what length of the wire gives you 2 ohm; that is the LENGTH to use; it is not the number of wraps that matter, it is the LENGTH.

Remember to check the meter for zero offset

19. Jh_X

Jh_X Full Member

I know nothing about building E-Cig coils, but I do know about resistance wire.

It'll have a very linear resistance per foot measurement.. You can check it with a multimeter (Or if it's spec'ed, just look at that) and divide from there to get the length you need.

If you're wrapping a coil, a small, coarse thread screw might help.. Maybe wrap it around that?

20. sky4it

sky4it Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 6, 2013
    Minnesota
    No, you are wrong. 28 guage is thicker. the thicker the wire the less resistance the lower the ohm, depending on the wrap. 32 guage is a nice guage to learn to wick coils. Since you got that you should be in good shape. harbor freight ohm meter get one they are only 5 bucks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.