(Micro Coils): One winding starts to glow first, then (after a fraction of a second) the entire coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
This is a "typical" micro coil build using Kanthal on a 13W (MTL) mod, my trusty Evic Vtwo.

I am building coils for years, but I still don't understand why it sometimes happens, and it happens often, especially when coils are a little older. (But otherwise look fine).

When I pre-burn a coil (which I do usually when changing wicks), only the first winding of a coil glows red and it takes a fraction of a second until the entire coil glows. I already tried to get behind this eg. suspecting that a coil might not be screwed on well, or that it's the coil shape or whatever. No idea. Most of the time when it happens I make a new coil.

I do not know whether what I see when I "pre-burn" also translates to actually using the vape. If that's so, it would mean that power on the coil, at least for a fraction of a second, is not evenly spread out but concentrated on a single winding. As if the beginning of the wire has a lower resistance than the rest.

Anyone an explanation for this phenomenon?

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
The last coil I made did that (simple 26 ga round wire) I did a combination of squeezing the coil from the sides with needle nose pliers (not while firing) then "raking" in the direction away from the troublesome wrap. Took several tries but it works. Might have just been easier to make a new one (and round wire is so cheap) What wire did you use? When I went to re-do the wick, it was still fine. Doing the wick a third time (if the coil still looks OK) This is a contact coil but if there is room I like to use spaced coils (generally don't have issues at all)

Reactions: Mordacai

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I don't know why it happens but...

- Tighten the leg screws.
    - Compress the coil (if you've been doing this a long time then you already know what that means and how to do it).
    - Rake/strum the coil.

If none of the above fixes the problem, the coil is probably needing to be changed out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread