The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Might have killed atomizer cleaning, Maybe?

Discussion in 'Experiments With Equipment' started by Okiki, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Okiki

Okiki Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2009
    NW Ohio, SE Michigan
    So I was experiencing some decrease in vapor production and also harder drag from my atomizer. So i decided to try a few things I read.

First I boiled the atomizer with a good amount of baking soda for ten minutes.
    Then I boiled with two tablespoons for maybe 30 mins taking it out every once in a while to rinse under cold water.

Finally took out rinsed and blew out. Then dripped a few drops onto it let it sit maybe 5 mins.

Tried to vape and the results are....

1. I felt the menthol in my whole mouth much like an analog...
    2. There was little to no vapor though
    3. Puffed a little longer and saw vapor.
    4. Then it would disappear.
    5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 over and over again.

I hope I did not kill it, it is my only atomizer and no money for new one yet.....

2. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida

Okiki--the error you made was not allowing it to dry!!! You have to get all the water out of it by allowing it to dry overnight or heating it dry with a blowdryer. You may be still in luck. Let it dry over night. Then reprime again and try to start it by firing it up with short hits. Boiling it for 30 minutes is not good as the mesh may no longer wick and you may have compromised the contact points----5 minutes will do if it is going to do anything anyway. Boiling will not dispose of the residue on the coil and really has not proved to be all that viable at all, but some report it works. And I think they report that because the atomizer was flooded to begin with--so give it a try in the AM-------Sun

3. Okiki

Feb 10, 2009
    NW Ohio, SE Michigan
    Ya thats what I was afraid of thanks for letting me know i have it drying now. Hopefully it still works. Otherwise I might die. Ugh lets hope for the best...

4. Banqer

Banqer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 10, 2009
    Given that you saw vapour, I have hope for you!

Like Sun said... you have to make sure the atomizer is dry. Sometimes, I`ve found, even when I have thought it was dry it wasn`t and it took a while to get it vaping again.

So don`t give up! And order some atomizers! I have four in rotation right now, which seems to work well for me.

5. kinabaloo

kinabaloo Vaping Master ECF Veteran

There's no harm in using it while it is still a bit wet - it's just that it will take a minute or so for the coil to dry out; but don't overdo heating the coil if you have a manual.

After a very thorough rinsing, do a final rinse in distilled water to avoid any limescale.

6. Tone

Tone Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2009
    LI NY
    They way I go about it like this.
    I have 3 atty's in rotation.
    I have one I am using.
    I have one as a spare
    I have one turned upside down with a paper towel while it drys/drains to catch the juice.
    The one I vape with all day get washed and left to dry/drain over night.
    I fire up the spare from the day before first thing in the morning and the one drying from the night before is made as the spare for that day. and i just follow this routine it work for me.

7. Closet Toker

Closet Toker Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 7, 2009
    Trempealeau, WI.
    I don't believe a hard draw is related to a dirty atomizer tip.

Next time it happens, try this before trying to clean atomizer..... blow compressed air through the atomizer's air hole. I do this at least 2-3 times per week. I top my carts heavily, and that's what causes problems for me. Eliquid clogs up the air hole after awhile.

Recently, I have also had poor battery performance (works one minute, then it doesn't). I solved the problem by cleaning my bat./atomizer connections with a Q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol. That takes all of the liquid residue off.

8. Okiki

Feb 10, 2009
    NW Ohio, SE Michigan
    It works now and actually seems like im getting more flavor then before just a little better draw, and average vapor.

@Closet - I tried all of that before believe me this was almost a last ditch effort. I have heard of people killing there atomizer trying to clean it....

9. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida

Okiki--Glad to hear it worked out for you!!!--Sun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.