Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
i think anything but the kayfun will feel lighter in the TH. are you interested in a tank system like the kayfun? if so then maybe the fogger. although it is a native dual coil atty, you can set the coils real low to the deck and get a vape that has a lot less TH feel compared to the kayfun. also because of its open draw (when adjusted) the loose draw also reduces the feel of TH. have you tried lowering the coils in the kayfun? sometimes if you set them up kind of high, it will increase the TH.

eddiezheadiez

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Boston
lower the PG..... In other words use a higher VG juice and then raise the nic level. I suggest about a 25 PG 75 VG for less throat hit.

Te effeciency of the Kayfun is not the problem in my opinion.

I'm not saying the kayfun is causing the problem, I just don't think it's suited for me. I want a mild throat hit. But, I also want to use higher mg e-liquid. The pg/vg ratio isn't an issue for me. I'm using a 100% VG base. I feel throat hit comes mainly from nicotine anyway, at least in my experience.

i think anything but the kayfun will feel lighter in the TH. are you interested in a tank system like the kayfun? if so then maybe the fogger. although it is a native dual coil atty, you can set the coils real low to the deck and get a vape that has a lot less TH feel compared to the kayfun. also because of its open draw (when adjusted) the loose draw also reduces the feel of TH. have you tried lowering the coils in the kayfun? sometimes if you set them up kind of high, it will increase the TH.

My coils are about as close as they can get to the airhole, maybe 1 mm above. Airflow control screw is removed. I think the small chamber is what causes so much throat hit. Will a larger chamber produce less throat hit? I was looking at the expromizer, it's very similar to a kayfun but with a slightly larger chamber. I'm beginning to think the kayfun draw is too tight for my liking. Even wide open the draw seems more restricted than some clearos I've used.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I'm not saying the kayfun is causing the problem, I just don't think it's suited for me. I want a mild throat hit. But, I also want to use higher mg e-liquid. The pg/vg ratio isn't an issue for me. I'm using a 100% VG base. I feel throat hit comes mainly from nicotine anyway, at least in my experience.

My coils are about as close as they can get to the airhole, maybe 1 mm above. Airflow control screw is removed. I think the small chamber is what causes so much throat hit. Will a larger chamber produce less throat hit? I was looking at the expromizer, it's very similar to a kayfun but with a slightly larger chamber. I'm beginning to think the kayfun draw is too tight for my liking. Even wide open the draw seems more restricted than some clearos I've used.

yes then you are about as close as possible on the kayfun for height. yes usually the bigger the deck the more it could be reduced in TH but not 100 percent thats the only reason. take for instance my aqua, it has a fairly small deck and the throat hit seems less intense then the kayfun. don't have the emp so cannot comment but it does seem like as the airflow opens up the TH decreases.

eddiezheadiez

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Boston
yes then you are about as close as possible on the kayfun for height. yes usually the bigger the deck the more it could be reduced in TH but not 100 percent thats the only reason. take for instance my aqua, it has a fairly small deck and the throat hit seems less intense then the kayfun. don't have the emp so cannot comment but it does seem like as the airflow opens up the TH decreases.

How does the TH from a kayfun type compare to a genny or a dripper with the same coil setup and airflow? I've had all of them at one point but have never done a comparison. Does wicking material affect TH as well? Currently the only atty I have is a Kayfun. Thanks for the help.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
How does the TH from a kayfun type compare to a genny or a dripper with the same coil setup and airflow? I've had all of them at one point but have never done a comparison. Does wicking material affect TH as well? Currently the only atty I have is a Kayfun. Thanks for the help.
its funny because my kayfun with a 1.3Ω coil has more TH then my .5Ω dripper has. resistance for resistance the kayfun has more TH then my drippers for sure. same with my gennys, although its been a while since i vaped anyone of my gennys, i believe the kayfun has more TH. this is why i love the kayfun because of the intense TH, it definitely reminds me of the cigs i used to smoke. the kayfun definitely brings out the nic levels in the juice for sure. i remember receiving a juice a few months back, they must have forgot to include the nic and ehat a difference! there was absolutely no TH at all, so usually lowering nic levels can balance out the TH that you require. micro coils imo increase TH because of all the close small wraps, i would venture to say that if you tried a larger diameter coil with the wraps spaced out, then used silica as the wicking material, the TH would be less.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia

100% VG ? and you still have a hard throat hit ? Wow.

Maybe a Carto....... or if you Can you get your hands on a Taifun GT and try it ? Its has a lesser "hit" than the Kayfun. The cotton lasts longer and is easier to set the cotton up in one than the kayfun. I dont know if this will help your throat hit situation though.

I hate to suggest one, but maybe a Protank is what you need. It mutes flavors pretty hard compared to a Kayfun....just dont know about the throat hit.

The more I think about it, Ive got nothing for you.

Vg is mild and PG is harsh. most flavorings are in a base of PG, so a mild flavored juice, at best, will have 10% PG/90% VG....... the norm being 20/80 for a heavy VG juice. ( nicotine is of course harsh) Some nicotine brands are harsher ( more peppery) than others. This is assuming that you DIY like me.

Are you vaping a custard or buttery juice by any chance ? These are very harsh on many peoples throats... ( I cant vape them)

I really wish I could help. Sorry.

eddiezheadiez

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Boston
not a good move with thinner wire and less wraps

I basically tried to emulate a coil in a kanger clearomizer: small diameter coil and thinner wire. It definitely reduced the TH, I could barely taste my juice tho. I'm thinking of increasing the diameter a tiny bit and using a few more wraps of 30g to get a good balance of flavor and TH.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I basically tried to emulate a coil in a kanger clearomizer: small diameter coil and thinner wire. It definitely reduced the TH, I could barely taste my juice tho. I'm thinking of increasing the diameter a tiny bit and using a few more wraps of 30g to get a good balance of flavor and TH.
finding that balance is all part of it for sure but with these bigger mods and rebuildable attys I would not use 30g unless you twist 2 strands together, by itself it's just to thin imo. Also if using cotton and doing micro coils the amount of wraps is important, my opinion is at least 8 wraps for proper wick coverage and upwards to 12 depending on coil diameter. you may find a good balance that has less throat hit but now your getting dry hits because the coil doesn't have enough wraps. but wattage also comes into play, the less wattage can afford less wraps and thinner wire, so like you said it's finding that balance according to your power levels and type of juice

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread