Millimeter, aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nattylite

Nov 24, 2013
roanoke, va
I'm having some serious trouble with my multimeter. I test the resistance of the leads and it will give me anywhere from 1.8 down to .4ish, then when I go to check on my atty it gives me a ridiculous reading like 8.9 or something. Now I know my 6/5 wraps of 30g kanthal is not 7.1 ohms, so what is going on here? Tried changing the battery and that didn't help.
Im having a similar problem with checking battery voltage. The meter starts at a reasonable number or some off the wall number and either jumps all over the place or just keeps gradually going up.
I'm almost positive based on what I've read and stern on YouTube that I'm using the correct ranges and testing correctly.
This is frustrating because I just got my first mech (sentinel m16 clone, slowtech special ;-)) and I want to be careful.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

nattylite

Nov 24, 2013
roanoke, va
I was trying to avoid a kick since I'm liking the idea of clean direct power from the battery.
Do you mean my connections to the meter? I'm pushing them in there pretty good.
I don't have an apv yet, but may just get an ohms meter soon. I do want to be able to check my battery voltage accurately at least, I am wary of my charger

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I have learned the cheap meters - like the ones at HarborFreight - are just junk. They can't meter anything correctly below 10 ohms and guessing at ohms when dealing with 2 ohm coils or lower just isn't worth it. If you have one that is bouncing all over the place when you are trying to get a voltage reading even it's auto zeroing function just ain't working.

Try replacing the battery but it it's still flaking out you got a bad one.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
"A vaper without a multimeter is like a doctor without a stethoscope."
-Switched

buy a multimeter. Any digital multimeter will do, you don't need a Fluke! You can get a good one for $15-25 from Sears, Lowe's or on the Amazon. You need your multimeter to check the resistance of your atomizers and/or voltage of your battery.

Connect the black test lead to the jack marked "Common" or "-"; connect the red test lead to the jack marked with the Ω (Ohm symbol) or letter "R" near it.

To check the resistance of your atomizers:

1. Turn your multimeter on and select the lowest Ohms setting, usually 200Ω.

2. Look at the display; the left side of the screen should display number 1.

3. First, test the resistance of your leads. Touch to two leads together, firmly, and wait for numbers to stabilize. On the right side of the screen, you should see a number between 0.0 and 0.4, or so. This is the resistance of your leads. Remember that number.

4. Now, to test your atty. Position your carto firmly on your desk; you don't want it to slip and slide all over the place. Touch one lead to the hole in the center of the atty and the other lead to the threads. Again read the display after the numbers have stabilized.

5. Subtract the resistance of your leads (#3) from the resistance of your atty(#4). This is the resistance of your atomizer.

This process takes some getting used to. Steady hand helps. Just keep practicing and you'll figure it out.

There are many tutorials on Youtube--watch them if you're a visual learner:

I like this one by GeekGirlVaper:

If you only want to check the resistance of your atomizers, you may want to consider buying this Atomizer and Cartomizer Ohm Meter--a very nifty, albeit single use, device:

1342887452113-981768337.jpeg

It can be used with all native 510 and 901/808 connectors; extensions or adapters are needed to test other atomizers (including eGo-threaded heads, which require a 510>eGo adapter). Many vendors carry them, including Smoktech, MadVapes, IndyVaporShop and others.

If you own an APV that checks the resistance of your atomizers, like Vamo, Zmax, eVic or ProVari, you don't need to buy a multimeter.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I'm having some serious trouble with my multimeter. I test the resistance of the leads and it will give me anywhere from 1.8 down to .4ish, then when I go to check on my atty it gives me a ridiculous reading like 8.9 or something. Now I know my 6/5 wraps of 30g kanthal is not 7.1 ohms, so what is going on here? Tried changing the battery and that didn't help.
Im having a similar problem with checking battery voltage. The meter starts at a reasonable number or some off the wall number and either jumps all over the place or just keeps gradually going up.
I'm almost positive based on what I've read and stern on YouTube that I'm using the correct ranges and testing correctly.
This is frustrating because I just got my first mech (sentinel m16 clone, slowtech special ;-)) and I want to be careful.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

hows the battery in the meter? is it a fresh battery? a weak battery in the meter will result in oddball readings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread