Millions of smokers in HongKong sentenced to death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Hong Kong e-cigarette industry poised to go up in smoke as city mulls ban
Has anyone lived in or visited a country with more smokers than Hong Kong? Having been a child, adolescent and adult in Hong Kong, I’d found it mostly imposible to give up tobacco. It is everywhere! Since post WWII era, it seems the former British Colony (BCC) was and is inundated with cigarette smoking. For myself, millions more, e-cigarettes saved my life, or at least extended it with improved health.

Regulations have always been harsh in HongKong, yet I fail to see how with health insurance required to provide end of life care to residents dying of smoking related illnesses, banning vaping is a positive step!
Yet sure enough it appears the path Hong Kongs headed down.

Hong Kong e-cigarette industry poised to go up in smoke as city mulls ban.
Hong Kong e-cigarette industry poised to go up in smoke as city mulls ban

We could debate human rights to choose, health, and business aspects for hours.
Chinese innovation’s been at the forefront of vaping industry, tauting as many successes globally.
Hong Kong has served as business capital to South East Asia for centuries.
I personally thought it was a marriage made in heaven. New technology small electronics industry; perfectly poised shipping location; economic investment hub; positive health benefits for population.
It seems the government doesnt see it that way.
Perhaps its only a ploy, while they decide varying regulation and taxation options?
I havent seen support for this. This isnt new either. Hong Kong has purported illegality
of nicotine in liquid forms for a while now. Then, this is HongKong!

Traveling as vapers, you learn differences from country to country.
From access to liquid, hardware, even batteries, theres a wide range of easy to locate vaping industry presence and impossible to find vaping industry presence.

Great optimism for we glass half full people: Young generations in
Hong Kong are more involved in speaking to the future of the place they live and love than ever.
The overall high hope is that the last generations of “death related to smoking” massive numbers should be behind us.
I suspect in this forum we understand this goal is tightly intertwined with vape access and choices.
I know were not alone. Hong Kong seems one of the outward naysayers when is comes to all available choices to stop tobacco ignition in a positive healthy direction.
Share with anyone you know in HK.
Cheers.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I watched a bunch of “about China” videos and one thing I learned is that Hong Kong is a very separate place and the residents like it that way. I would be unsurprised if this rule is partially to piss off the mainland Chinese tourists where ecigs are not regulated at all. Also they have horrendous air quality problems, much like the rest of urban China, and may be grasping at straws

Reactions: stols001

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
I watched a bunch of “about China” videos and one thing I learned is that Hong Kong is a very separate place and the residents like it that way. I would be unsurprised if this rule is partially to piss off the mainland Chinese tourists where ecigs are not regulated at all. Also they have horrendous air quality problems, much like the rest of urban China, and may be grasping at straws
OK, appreciate discussion, TY.
You have not been to HK or lived there?
Since discontinuing lease w/UK, they compete heavily w/burgeoning Malaysia for business and industry. HK
Isnt tourist economy like Macau for North.
Sometimes I feel Monkey see Monkey do, the loud vocal christian right playing the age old “our kids, our kids” card
Junk science.
Malaysia ruled on vape, HK should NOT follow suit.
Vapers around the world might be in different place without Chinese e cig innovation, and China cant conduct its western business w/out HK.
Cheers.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
OK, appreciate discussion, TY.
You have not been to HK or lived there?
Since discontinuing lease w/UK, they compete heavily w/burgeoning Malaysia for business and industry. HK
Isnt tourist economy like Macau for North.
Sometimes I feel Monkey see Monkey do, the loud vocal christian right playing the age old “our kids, our kids” card
Junk science.
Malaysia ruled on vape, HK should NOT follow suit.
Vapers around the world might be in different place without Chinese e cig innovation, and China cant conduct its western business w/out HK.
Cheers.
I have not. I just watch a couple of china vlogger channels. So I effectively have only my interpretation of the opinion of one or two other people.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm going to HK for a week at the beginning of next year, and to be honest I'm really fearful of vaping there.
The impression I get is if you step into mainland China suddenly everything is fine. That may be difficult to do of course. It’s possible that while vaping is restricted iQOS may not be, so it’s possible there is that option. You’d have to check though.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
E-liquids care classified as a Type I Poison. Sale or possession is punishable by a fine of up to HK$100,000 and/or a prison term of 2 years. Though apparently most officials are not bothered. However if one decided to the consequences are unthinkable. I may take some zero nic juice just to be on the safe side.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
I'm going to HK for a week at the beginning of next year, and to be honest I'm really fearful of vaping there.
Well please dont be. Recently many vape shops have opened up both on Kowloon, & Hong Kong Island. Dont know about Lantau and other islands. If they decide to create complete ban law, no knowing when it would take effect, but it likely would not be in effect immediately.
Govt is being asked to consider the impacts on local businesses before making a decision.
Above all else HK is about business success so I hope business interests will win.
Gear is really cheap w/Plenty of choices. Like everything in HK, make sure you barter- buying and selling in USAis different
Than other cultures.
Just enjoy the trip. If they do change the law it will certainly be all over the HK news. (SCMP is #1 english print news)
Cheers

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
E-liquids care classified as a Type I Poison. Sale or possession is punishable by a fine of up to HK$100,000 and/or a prison term of 2 years. Though apparently most officials are not bothered. However if one decided to the consequences are unthinkable. I may take some zero nic juice just to be on the safe side.
yeah but then again its Hong Kong! Really, the police arent vape police.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
e liquids containing nicotine

Jack H

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
Kunming, China
I just returned from HK. I live in China. I took all my gear, including nic juice. I had no problems and nobody concerned about my vaping. I vaped in restaurants, on the street openly and no one cared.
The B&M vapes shops in HK are dismal. Very limited hardware, and WAY overpriced. I thought I could pick up a Innokin Pronto there. Impossible!
As for juice. They sell juice (no nic). But many people just get nic online and add it to juice. Get caught doing this, and I would mean trouble for you.
As a visitor there, I had no problems at all coming or going. I think personal consumption nic juice is not a problem. I saw a lot of people there vaping.
I was a bit worried before I went, but found it was not a problem. Just don't expect to find hardware at any bargain price there. If you have time, just go to Shengzen, but be careful where you buy or get ripped off with cheap copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread