Minding Your mAhs – Ep19 – Is pulse battery testing more “real world”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Many vapers feel you need to simulate the way we vape, using discharges of a couple to a few seconds long, in order to accurately predict which batteries will be the better performers for vaping.

In this video I review the results of testing four different batteries with pulsed and continuous discharges. Can continuous discharge testing give us the same results as pulsed discharge testing?

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    From my experience with eBike batteries I know, that the internal resistance (impedance) is an impotant indication to the performance of the battery at its life time. So if the 21700 from Molicel has at the same specification like the 40T a higher internal resistance it means, that the battery with higher internal resistance will lose most probably faster on performance (Voltage and capacity).

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Thanks for this test @Mooch. Like yourself (I think), I never put any stock into pulse ratings. For one, there are no standards in the industry for pulse ratings, which makes comparing one battery model against another battery model impossible. While continuous discharge ratings are an industry standard, so we can compare one battery model against another.

The only situation where comparing continuous discharge ratings to a pulse rating might be lacking is your category of "hardest hitting" battery. That seems to be more of a subjective observation than an objective one, unless voltage drop comes into play.

Last edited:
    Reactions: CMD-Ky

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    From my experience with eBike batteries I know, that the internal resistance (impedance) is an impotant indication to the performance of the battery at its life time. So if the 21700 from Molicel has at the same specification like the 40T a higher internal resistance it means, that the battery with higher internal resistance will lose most probably faster on performance (Voltage and capacity).

I don’t think we can say that as the aging of different cells occurs at different rates. Their cycle life could be different, negating any IR advantages one or the other might have at the start.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thanks for this test @Mooch. Like yourself (I think), I never put any stock into pulse ratings. For one, there are no standards in the industry for pulse ratings, which makes comparing one battery model against another battery model impossible. While continuous discharge ratings are an industry standard, so we can compare one battery model against another.

The only situation where comparing continuous discharge ratings to a pulse rating might be lacking is your category of "hardest hitting" battery. That seems to be more of a subjective observation than an objective one, unless voltage drop comes into play.

It’s as objective as it can be.
    It’s based on testing and the DC internal resistance numbers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread