Not open for further replies.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Everybody is beatin' round the bush. I'm just gonna say it--you need to walk well before trying to run.

Plain Jane, 24 or 26 g single wire coil that measures out somewhere around or North of 0.50 Ohm's. Get that coil burning bright and right first.

Exotic low Ohm coils are sexy and all that, but you really do need to take this one step at a time.

Like ... Even Michael Phelps started at the shallow end.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I have its not my thing at least on a series mech yesterday I made a nice coil with22 kanthal and it seems to hit the spot a little bit too much with full batteries but I might try 20 gauge i am also going to get some single core claptons to try out
20 gauge? Holy cow man! That's got to be like a coat hanger. Just don't see why someone would want to use such thick wire, but that's just me...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
im not realy sure what to say i didnt see any problem the legs just kept getting hot it was a stainless clapton wire the post screw messed a bit with the wrapping wire but that shouldnt affect alot right? i made new coils 3 times and each time a new hot leg appeared and the old disappered. i might buy some smaller wire i am runing it on a series mech
Do you mean a single hot coil (like if you have six wraps and one is hot) or do you mean that the actual leg connecting the coil to the post is hot?

I am new too, and I found that strumming the coils works for both issues.

I did a 22g dual build today that was coming in at .16 ohms. I decided to make it a single coil build after realizing that I was going to have to recharge my batteries at lot at a 20amp draw.

7fc897637fdc399ee80cc2f90a7f7a3f.jpg

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
I use two Buddha minis regularly and have for awhile, don't think 20g would fit in the post holes :laugh:
But my sub-ohm build is a simple 24g .6Ω and I never have hot leg problems unless I butchered the coil. Maybe something got stripped and there's debris in there.

bab123

Apr 14, 2017
I use two Buddha minis regularly and have for awhile, don't think 20g would fit in the post holes :laugh:
But my sub-ohm build is a simple 24g .6Ω and I never have hot leg problems unless I butchered the coil. Maybe something got stripped and there's debris in there.
i got a build in mine now that realy peforms its the geekvape caterpillar wire 28x4 with a 30 wrap comes out to about 0,32

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
inter
interesting
Hi OP,

What ever happened with this?

Also - were you referring to hot wraps? Say I wrap seven times, and one of them is hotter than the other six. That's not a leg, it's a wrap (or a coil). I think "leg" refers to the straight part of the coil that connects to the post.

In my limited experience, it's near impossible to get a hot leg unless something is really wrong with the coil or it's not screwed in tight, etc. Coils kind of want to heat evenly.

Also - did you try strumming the coils with a ceramic pair of tweezers?

I think the reason the thread veered off-topic is because people were waiting for substantive feedback on suggestions that we offered.

Also, some of had problems understanding exactly what you were saying.

Coil builds are fun. I wind new coils several times per week. But I also experiment with pre-made coils. Here is a pic of two .85 ohm claptons (about .40 ohms installed because I cut the legs super short).

The RDA is a Goon clone.

That combo doesn't take a lot of amps/watts and produces nice clouds.
2b281bf2f46941895b20efa85752aed2.jpg
5a048aea9f465525a3df4af4b53cdaf4.jpg
d60c9043bb8cf7549195d5e8f7ab4723.jpg

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
It just occurred to me that there is a good Zen story on point. I know you are not a newbie. I am, however.

As long as I am willing to let go of what I *think* I know, then I can learn.

--------

A Cup of Tea

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

------

Again, that only applies to me, since I am new and I only know one thing. That one thing is "I am new."

bab123

Apr 14, 2017
Hi OP,

What ever happened with this?

Also - were you referring to hot wraps? Say I wrap seven times, and one of them is hotter than the other six. That's not a leg, it's a wrap (or a coil). I think "leg" refers to the straight part of the coil that connects to the post.

In my limited experience, it's near impossible to get a hot leg unless something is really wrong with the coil or it's not screwed in tight, etc. Coils kind of want to heat evenly.

Also - did you try strumming the coils with a ceramic pair of tweezers?

I think the reason the thread veered off-topic is because people were waiting for substantive feedback on suggestions that we offered.

Also, some of had problems understanding exactly what you were saying.

Coil builds are fun. I wind new coils several times per week. But I also experiment with pre-made coils. Here is a pic of two .85 ohm claptons (about .40 ohms installed because I cut the legs super short).

The RDA is a Goon clone.

That combo doesn't take a lot of amps/watts and produces nice clouds.
2b281bf2f46941895b20efa85752aed2.jpg
5a048aea9f465525a3df4af4b53cdaf4.jpg
d60c9043bb8cf7549195d5e8f7ab4723.jpg

i suspect the titanium screws messe up the wire so i just gotta watch out for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread