Status
Not open for further replies.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
As many of you may already know, I started out with the penstyle usb passthrough from bestecig. After seeing how well one worked, I bought 2 more but actually have only been using 2 of them (one for home and one for work). For the price, I think they are the best thing since sliced bread, particularly if you have a mobile power supply (such as the APC). And fortunately for me, I have never had a problem with faulty wiring nor atomizers not fitting, etc.

I then felt I needed something I could actually carry around with me (no wires) so ordered the BE112 also from bestecig. Outside of the normal wear and tear of batts/atomizers, I just love the penstyle. And perhaps I am fortunate, but I have never had a problem with carts nor atomizers fitting with each other.

I then ordered one of David Yang's penstyle manual switch kits. I wasn't too crazy about the manual switch at first (remembering to push it!) but now I really enjoy that too. I think the best thing about it is because it has a little battery box attached, you can actually carry it around with you and use it with ease. I did buy a charger and batts so I could switch them up but I would have to say this is definitely an advantage over the regular passthrough I have that would require an actual power pack to carry.

I did have a problem with one of the switches working with the actual battery that came with it but I never bothered contacting David because I don't use that regular battery anyways...just the passthrough.

I then purchased a Janty KB from a member here and I have also been quite pleased with that. I have to be honest and say that I really see no difference between the KB and David's usb. They work equally well when used either on my laptop or alone on the battery box. And yes, I did use the Janty atomizer that came with it and again, I honestly see no difference between that and the regular penstyle atomizers I have been using. I think the only advantage might be the Janty switch has no hole so nothing can seep through but keeping in mind that even with the hole, stuff can still seep down into the manual switch but not so much to the battery-looking part.

I then purchased a "partial" Sedansa.....just the manual switch and usb passthrough....and the separate battery box. I did this when they had that big sale and ended up only spending like $68 for all that. Well I like this too! It has worked fine with my penstyle atomizers and carts. I know that some have raved about the Sedansa atomizer (just as they have about Janty's) but I personally would not spend the extra for that.

So as you can see, I tend to have a penchant for penstyle usb type devices because they are quite versatile and compatible with many other products, but also because I am trying to get away from the ecig batts But, I also don't go along with the hype of being "battery-less" because in some respect, you will always have to carry and charge some type of battery power. Just the way it is. Also, I am still looking into something I can actually sit out in public with as I refuse to sit in a nice restaurant or club, whatever, with a wire hanging out of my mouth! And making sure I have a pocket to stuff the wire into just doesn't work very well for me either. I mean, this is alright for home, the car or friends' houses, but not out in public (not for me anyway).

If I had to do it over again: I think the cheapo usb passthroughs I initially bought are great products for their intended use BUT....because I do prefer the manual switch type....I would just buy the KB usb cable ($29 and I believe that includes the little battery box) and the KB manual switch ($18)...plus the $18 shipping of course. I would use my own atomizers and carts and that would fulfill its purpose for me.

Now I also just received a penstyle SD from Trog. That review is next! ;)

Lu

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Good stuff Lu, lots of useful information there! I haven't had as much experience of pen styles but from what I've tried (Heavens Gifts DSE801's and various RN4072's), they both work pretty well. The RN4072's seem to work better with cartridges than the 801's - wick better etc. The 801's are excellent when dripped, and I find have an easier draw and produce a bit more vapour. I've just got a USB passthrough from e-cigs UK and it works very well, although maybe a bit pricey at £20. This is going to get a lot of use :)

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Thanks everyone!

As far as the penstyle SD....some time back, I was hemming and hawing about getting an SD. I mean, I really, really wanted one but was not crazy about having to use it with the 901 attachments since I had none, but tons of penstyle stuff.

I finally said the heck with it and sent Trog an email to go ahead and send me one of the 901 SDs. Wouldn't ya know....they were out of them! Then I saw where he was tinkering around with making a penstyle one so I said I would wait but if he ever made the pen one, I'd like him to keep me in mind. He said he would.

Meanwhile, another member here broke her penstyle adapter (I guess you can make those yourself) and was unable to fix it herself so she (probably) begged (lol) Trog for one of the penstyle ones. Well, she lives in NY State and so do I so I wrote and asked him if he could (please, please, please!) send another one out with it.

So that's how I got mine. What? You think it was easy? :D

Lu

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
excellent review and comments, also hints and tips.

Well done Sambucalu,

I agree with most of your comments,
I love David Yangs products, all of the 801 products,
I have and use them all.
my only complaint is for the wire on the usb penstyle,
I would like to see them made with mouse wires,
much better wires, I think.

my original usb 801's from beci chen are still going strong after 3 months of very heavy usage.

my usb penstyle with manual switch from David Yang
is still good after 2 months,

I am amazed that the atomizers seem to last well on the usb cigs. averaging about 8 weeks,
1 still going after 10 weeks on the pc usb.

thanks again, Sambucalu.......

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Meanwhile, another member here broke her penstyle adapter (I guess you can make those yourself) and was unable to fix it herself so she (probably) begged (lol) Trog for one of the penstyle ones. Well, she lives in NY State and so do I so I wrote and asked him if he could (please, please, please!) send another one out with it.

So that's how I got mine. What? You think it was easy? :D

Lu

Yep, that was me. And I did beg, literally! :oops:

But it was worth it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread