ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
YouTube - Minicigarette.net video review and demo

Name: MiniCigarette.net
Category: Super-Mini
Model: DSE-103
Items purchased and Price: Starter Kit, $59.95
Shipping, tax, etc.: N/A (review sample)
Total Price: N/A (review sample)
Warranty/Guarantee: 180 Day parts replacement warranty.
Length: 100mm
Weight: 14.9gr

Overall Rating: 3.6

Pros: Lightweight, easy draw.

Cons: Inconsistent performance. Limited interchangeability. No other source of cartridges

Atomizer Performance: 3.75
1- Smoke; 3.5
2- Draw; 4

Battery Performance: 3.75
1- Switch; 4
2- Battery life; 3.5

Overall reliability and performance: 4

Appearance: 3

Customer Service Experience: None. I was offered a review copy, which came from the marketing department, not CS.

Contents: 1 atomizer, 2 batteries, 1 charger, 1 power cord, 1 mouthpiece, 6 cartridges (2 high, 2 medium, 1 low, 1 non).

Extras: None.

Battery charging times: Initial charge 8 hours, regular charge 3-4 hours.

Atomizer interchangeability: RN4081.

Battery interchangeability: RN4081.

Charger interchangeability: RN4081.

Cartridge interchangeability: None.

Narrative review:

First off, in the interest of full disclosure, I want to note that I received this e-cigarette for free from the manufacturer. They approached me through my Youtube channel, and offered to send me a unit to try and, if I liked, to do a review. No preconditions or obligations.

Second, I should admit to a personal bias against minis in general. I like to have one with me, but really just as a backup to the penstyle, which is my main e-cig and accounts for 2/3 or so of my puffs. The mini serves for a change of pace, a fill-in for when the penstyle is in auto-cutoff mode, or for a different nicotine level or flavor.

The size limitations on the atomizer, cartridge, and battery, mean that they simply cannot match the performance of their bigger cousins. So they will always score a bit lower, so much so that I considered making a separate scale to rate minis. But where do you draw the line? Do you rate DSE-901 minis separately from 100mm superminis? What about the new 89mm superminis? They have even smaller size limitations.

I decided that minis and superminis had to be rated on the same scale as penstyles. But it should still be born in mind that they will naturally score lower in some areas, and performance that might be below average for a pen or 117mm mini might be average for a 100mm mini, or above average for an 89mm mini. In other words, instead of adjusting the scale, we should adjust our expectations.

So that said, and at the risk of sounding like I’m giving a back-handed compliment, or damning with faint praise, the Minicigarette is pretty good, for a mini.

My initial expectations weren’t high. The battery appearance is identical to the first DSE101 I tried, which didn’t perform well at all. And at first, even with a fully charged battery, the switch performance, draw, and reliability were about as bad as I had feared. But that only lasted a battery cycle or two, before they got broken in and loosened up. So these do seem to need a breaking in period.

But once broken in, the performance has been above average, for a mini. The draw is fairly light, about a 4, and the smoke volume averages a 3.5, up to a 4 with fresh cartridge and battery. The switch responsiveness is quick, but it does have reliability issues. About one draw in 4 or so, it fails and doesn’t produce any vapor or light up the LED. A sharp puff or two usually loosens it up, and it works after that.

Battery life is very good for a mini. I rate it at a 3.5 on a scale of 1 to 5; up to 80-90 puffs per full charge. You can actually get a bit more than that, but vapor production drops off too much, and I don’t find it worthwhile. Similarly, cartridge life can be pushed to 35 or 40 5-second puffs, but really, only 30 or so are good. That works out to 2-3 cartridges per battery. A score of 3.5 doesn’t sound that good, but for a mini, I would expect a 2 to be average, so a 3 is really above average.

Overall, while it does have reliability issues, they’re pretty infrequent and bearable. I give it 4 out of 5. The appearance is fine albeit plain. There is no variety, and I personally don’t like the glossy enamel look, or the lengthwise stripes. I think it has the worst of both looking like a cigarette, with the white and brown colors, but with the glossy enamel and stripes making it look like a fake. But it’s a decent quality finish, and the build quality is fine, so it gets a 3, average or acceptable.

That averages out to 3.625, rounding down to 3.6. Above average overall, but again, for a Mini, above average is really pretty exceptional.

There’s one small downside which doesn’t come into play on any of my ratings, limited interchangeability, and no other source of cartridges. It’s partially interchangeable with the RN4081 supermini. You can swap batteries, atomizer, and chargers, but not cartridges. I have not found another compatible cartridge for this atomizer, or another source for the cartridges. The cartridge price, however, is more reasonable than most, at $39.95 for 50, and they have at least a little variety of flavors; regular, mint or apple.

So, all in all, it’s a quite good, above average mini, at a below average price, but with some limitations and drawbacks. If you don’t mind, or even like, the appearance; if the battery and cartridge life span are ok for you; and if you aren’t bothered by not being able to swap parts, this might be a good choice. At the price it certainly makes at least a good starter for a first e-cig, or a good backup. It may not get me excited, but I have to recommend it as a good value.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
You gotta get the loongtotem for a review- if that mini vapor was a 3.7, the loong will be a 9 (although it will suffer in other departments liek battery charge length & cut off for inhaling (I only get 3-4 seconds- too short in my view- but you can immediately take another). I doubt loong would give ya one ot review, but might be worth a try asking- they are loathe to do anythign htough to pelase the consumer.

The mini you review looks liek it gives more vapor than the SmartFixx mini, and looks easier to draw. Will be itnerestign to see how it's still performing in a week or two. Nice review

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Leaford, we're living right. I got a private message not long ago informing me I was being sent one of these minicigarette.net models for testing, the same one you tested. I did not request it, but thanked the sender. I've had it about a week now and have used all six cartridges.

You have created a fine formula for evaluating e-smoking products and I will neither copy nor add to what you have done. I'll simply complement your comments with some observations from my use. They don't differ dramatically from yours.

First off, I think it looks classy. The vertical lines on the battery practically need a magnifying glass to see, and don't detract from the beauty of this cigarette. I'm not fond of the "mini cigarette" scripting at the base of the battery, however. It's done in gold lettering with a distinctly feminine font.

The compact appearance might lead one to believe this is a combined cart/atomizer, a disposable. But the atomizer is covered by the cartridge and this is really a three-piece unit. It manages to keep the three pieces within a 100mm length.

The battery screws tightly to the atomizer and the cartridge fits very tightly over this combination. Removing the cartridge takes some real twisting and tugging.

After the break-in period, I, too, found performance not always consistent. It was capable of producing a good quantity of vapor with some easy inhalations on occasion, followed by nothing at all in the next use. I never measured cartridge life, but it seemed short to me, on the order of a half-day of near-regular use.

One thing I did note is that the vapor is hotter than any I've experienced from a pen style, e-pipe or e-cigar. The atomizer on this is less than a inch from the lips and the result is a warm blast on inhalation. Some real cigarettes do exactly the same, but my other devices deliver a cooler "smoke."

Certainly, this is vastly superior to my first mini cig purchase, the Health mini cig. That unit never produced decent vapor. This one does with a charged battery and fresh cartridge. The hang-up is how quickly that diminishes as liquid is withdrawn and the battery winds down.

The vapor I found tasteless. Later, I began dripping my own favorite fluid into used cartridges -- and that improved matters.

We both know the price is right for something like this. The person this should please is the new user, unfamiliar with the advantages of more expensive pen styles and unwilling to spend Big Bucks on an uncertain practice. Certainly, this little cig could help a person cut down on real cigarettes smoked. It will also please those who want an e-smoking device that looks exactly like a real cigarette. At even a short distance, the minicigarette.net e-cig looks real.

I don't test a device the way you do when it comes to inhalation. I want an e-cigarette to replicate a real cigarette -- and no one sucks a real cigarette for four or five seconds. So I don't even attempt to draw until the light blinks. I inhale for about two or three seconds, exactly as I would a real cigarette, and then see what is exhaled. Used this way, the little mini works well. The draw is quite easy, unlike the fish-face suck needed with some. In fact, a very light draw -- exactly as would be done for a cigarette or cigar -- produces the best, more predictable vapor cloud. Hard draws actually produce less vapor.

I'd recommend this to anyone who hasn't been to the mountain.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Sometimes, a device you love turns bad after a period. Sometimes, the opposite happens. In the case of the minicigarette.net DSE-103. I'm enjoying it more every day. No, it can't equal the (much more expensive) Janty Kissbox that I use non-stop, but the Kissbox is a larger pen style while the 103 looks very much like a real cigarette. I find myself now using it more frequently. Decent battery life for me and improving vapor production. Move from it "recommended for newbies" to just "recommended" in my book.

DeviLFisH

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2008
yup now I seem like to use V2 instead 901 ...weird..

the vapour suddenly on v2 seem can constant produce huge vapour

and ya holding it , it feel like holding a real cig .

whereas my 901 nowadays the vapour consider below average bit on vapour production.

I even bath the 901 ..seem improved abit but not like the first time
maybe atomiser is not working at peak performance anymore.
and I don;t wish to order another atomiser for as it still can be used.

let see how .;)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
One reason I don't like reviews of new arrivals is that first impressions don't always hold up. Take this minicigarette.net DSE-103. I've had it almost a month now, and it's not my daily go-to device, but has seen intermittent use. For the past couple of days, I've been toting it with me to use out of the home (I use a tethered USB Janty Kissbox at my computer).

And it's been very good. It produces good vapor as long as I keep the tiny cartridge soaked -- and maybe drip onto the atomizer every so often. I'm using my own liquid, so the taste is great. The atomizer functions perfectly after I've dried up all six cartridges that came with the starter kit. The charger is good. Battery life is many hours.

Overall, this is a darn good little e-cig, one that looks very much like a real cigarette, unlike my Hunter Thompon-like Janty pen style or Meltrex pen style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread