Minimal flavor on Kayfun V5 in temp control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacman377

Nov 17, 2018
Ok I've got a question. Been vaping in wattage mode for a little over a year now and a couple of months ago I started trying to get the best flavor out of my juice. Been using a therion bf with a gas mods nixion s and a mirage with a Kayfun V5. Both had a spaced 5 wrap on a 3mm bar kanthal 26-36 clapton ohming out to about .8 -.82 ohms at 30 watts. With that I was able to get a nice warm flavorful vape.
I desided I wanted to try temp control. I was finally able to get good results with the therion/nixion. A 10 wrap ni 200 coil locked at .082 ohms. 36 watts 530°. The preheat is one click from being maxed and is set at 45 watts. This is very similar to what I was experiencing running just wattage. A nice warm vape full of flavor. By the way I'm vaping jam monster ble berry on this.
Now on to the mirage/Kayfun. I put a 10 wrap ni 200 with slightly longer leads so I have room for the coil to sit without touching. It's ohming at .092 ohms. I set the wattage and preheat at the same as they are on the therion. Started at 420° no warpth and can't taste much flavor. Moved on up once I got to 460° it still wasn't very warm but I could taste a little more flavor. I finally got up to 520° - 530° here I get that warm vape I'm use to and the first hit has the flavor I'm use to. However the second to third draw its very plain and has muted flavor. On this one I'm vaping naked unicorn.
If I'm unable to get a vape with the flavor I'd like I'll go back to wattage but I wanted to ask in case I'm missing something. I haven't tried stainless yet the 2 local shops don't have any but I'm not wanting to order it if temp control is unable to give me what I can get with kanthal.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Some people just don’t like TC much. I’m one of them. It’s just flat out too finicky to bother with. The preloaded values are never quite right and you have to mess with them and to do that you have to know how they work, etc.. too much bollocks (love that word. There’s no real good anguish translation) imho.
My salvation was the replay feature on the therion bf. You need both the version with the dna75C chip AND the international version of the firmware (it’s downloadable) but for me replay acts like the automatic transmission of vaping. It’s awesome.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
I got fairly good results with the pico in TC but I had it set around 570 to get the vape I liked. It can be a total pain because you have to set the coils when they are around the same temp as whatever environment you are in/ set it when the coils are cold.

I would imagine the reason you get less flavor as you hit it more is that the TC is kicking in when the coils get around the temp you like to vape at.

I ultimately gave up on TC because my mod would randomly fall out of TC and screw everything up. It was good when it worked but it really wasn't worth the trouble.

Reactions: stols001

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I'd try stainless steel before you give up on it. I've found the Kayfun not to work well, even in TC, with resistances below 0.5 ohms. A higher gauge SS 316L coil with a resistance of around 0.8 - 1 might give you what you're looking for.

I'm also not familiar with your mods, but I've found TC with a DNA chip to be worlds apart from TC with any other mod I've tried. There's more to it that this, but one of the effects is that non-DNA TC never worked properly below a certain temperature (that would depend on the coil and the juice), while DNA TC provides flavourful vapour at any temperature - just more or less of it at different temperatures.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'd try stainless steel before you give up on it. I've found the Kayfun not to work well, even in TC, with resistances below 0.5 ohms. A higher gauge SS 316L coil with a resistance of around 0.8 - 1 might give you what you're looking for.

I'm also not familiar with your mods, but I've found TC with a DNA chip to be worlds apart from TC with any other mod I've tried. There's more to it that this, but one of the effects is that non-DNA TC never worked properly below a certain temperature (that would depend on the coil and the juice), while DNA TC provides flavourful vapour at any temperature - just more or less of it at different temperatures.
There is the kayfun 5, and the kayfun 5 squared.
The plain kayfun 5 is a mtl only tank. If you want to DL, get the kayfun 5 squared. Careful though the tank is huge

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The therion and mirage both are dna 75c by lost vape. And the Kayfun I have is the V5 squared .It is the big one. I know that the size can impact the warmth I'm getting. Maybe I didn't realize it would impact it as much as it actually does in temp control .
If I’ve got a dna75c available I don’t even bother with regular TC. I downloaded the international firmware version and got replay on it. Just vape in wattage mode till you get a hit you like and hit the replay button. No mud no fuss no messing with curves or other math bollocks

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
The therion and mirage both are dna 75c by lost vape. And the Kayfun I have is the V5 squared .It is the big one. I know that the size can impact the warmth I'm getting. Maybe I didn't realize it would impact it as much as it actually does in temp control .

Well, that certainly renders my previous advice useless.:) You say that it's bigger - does it have more airflow as well? That can make a huge difference in the target temperature. If you're mixing more air into your vape, you'll need considerably more and warmer vapour to get a good experience.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well, that certainly renders my previous advice useless.:) You say that it's bigger - does it have more airflow as well? That can make a huge difference in the target temperature. If you're mixing more air into your vape, you'll need considerably more and warmer vapour to get a good experience.
I’ve heard it described as a 4 3rds size kayfun 5

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Ok the mirage came with replay already on it. But I'm assuming I'd have to have a ss coil for the replay. The kanthal wouldn't work in replay would it?
It wouldn’t work in regular TC either. That’s probably your problem btw. You need tc coils to use tc

• Agree

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
You're using two different devices it sounds like. Some devices are better than others in TC mode. I have been vaping in TC mode since it came out. I always had a good vape. Just adjust the temp for the experience you want and vape away.

Also keep in mind, longer coils(more wraps) take longer to warm up. If you're using a larger coil that can be part of the problem.

Last edited:

Pacman377

Nov 17, 2018
Looks like I need to at least try the ss then. The therion if fine in TC with the ni 200 and I'm liking it. With the nixion rda being so small. If I forgot to squonk it a dry hit was inevitable. And with tc it doesn't matter if I forget or not. The Kayfun is awesome in wattage. But I'll try the ss and build it up to a higher ohm and try out to again with it and see how it does .

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've found the Kayfun not to work well... with resistances below 0.5 ohms. A higher gauge SS 316L coil with a resistance of around 0.8 - 1 might give you what you're looking for.
I had a Kayfun Lite Plus. I found it performed best with a resistance of 1.2 ohm. Might be worthwhile to try a higher resistance.

Also not a fan of TC. Too finicky for my tastes. Its wattage mode only for me.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread