Misquoting the ECA - A Message From Matt Salmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Recently, there was a press release by an electronic cigarette company that implied Matt Salmon, President of the ECA, had said certain things, and also stated some other information that was incorrect. That press release was by a member company of the ECA and a full retraction of the release should be forthcoming as soon as possible.

However, another Press Release was brought to attention by Treece regarding some misquoting by a company who is not an ECA member and this is the second press release of the type by the same company. Matt has contacted them asking them to stop misquoting him as the quote in their press release both times is actually a quote by Dr. Nitzkin.

Those particular press releases, the one from August has been discussed before, are UK Electronic Cigarette Company push for parents to quit smoking and Electronic Cigarette Company Urges Parents To Stop Smoking.

In response to ALL of the misquoting going on, here is Matt's response:

To whom it may concern:

In recent days, electronic cigarette companies have been using my name in quotes that are not attributable to me, or have received my permission to be quoted. I do not agree to this use of my name, and in effect the misrepresentation it has for the industry.

The electronic cigarette industry is not a scientific or medical association, and the policy of the ECA is that electronic cigarettes are not marketed as a healthier alternative than cigarettes nor as a smoking cessation device, they are simply alternatives. The companies that belong to the ECA market their products to those who seek an alternative to combustible tobacco and are above the legal smoking age.

As the president of the ECA, I am more than happy to talk with individual electronic cigarette companies and support the efforts that help secure the future of the industry, but I will not allow quotes to misrepresent me and the industry.

If you’d like to quote me, please contact me at (202) 737-5339 or via email mattsalmon@gmail.com, for approval.

Sincerely,

Matt Salmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread