Missouri to exclude ecigs at state level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Missouri HB 2103 has been referred to the Small Business Committee, and we are asking vapers to show their support of this legislation by completing the attached Witness Appearance form and by close of business TUESDAY, APRIL 24TH, 2012:

1. Fax the completed form to Representative Kathie Conway at 573-522-0414 with the title “HB 2103” on the fax, OR

2. Email the completed form to Representative Kathie Conway at Kathie.conway@house.mo.gov with the title “HB 2103” on the email.

Here is a summary of the proposed legislation:

This bill specifies that a local political subdivision cannot restrict the use of an electronic cigarette in a public place and exempts any public place that derives at least 60% of its retail sales from alcohol, tobacco, or entertainment from any local ordinance or rule relating to smoking in public places.
The text of the bill can be found at:
http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills121/biltxt/intro/HB2103I.htm

COMMENTS SHOULD BE IN YOUR OWN WORDS. We have heard time and time again that emails/faxes/letters that are identical are largely dismissed by legislators as spam.

Some reasons why people might be in favor of this legislation--

1. It allows private property owners to make decisions about whether to allow e-cigarette use on their premises.

2. It provides more certainty for businesses by enacting a state-wide exemption.

3. It ensures that e-cigarettes, which do not create smoke, will not be treated as cigarettes for purposes of smoking bans.

Some potential talking points:

1. Tell your story on how switching to an e-cigarette or smokeless tobacco has changed your life.

2. Explain how electronic cigarette use is easy to distinguish from actual smoking. Although some e-cigarettes resemble real cigarettes, many do not. It is easy to tell when someone lights a cigarette, from the smell of smoke. E-cigarette vapor is practically odorless, and generally any detectable odor is not unpleasant and smells nothing like smoke.

3. Let them know that vapor does not behave in the same manner as smoke. There is no "side stream" vapor like the side stream smoke coming from the lit end of a cigarette. There is also no ash or litter.

4. Inform them that the ability to use electronic cigarettes in public spaces will actually improve public health by inspiring other smokers to switch. Surveys of thousands of users indicate that the majority of those who switch, completely replace tobacco cigarettes with the electronic cigarettes, reducing their health risks by 98-99%.

5. Tell them that by switching to a smokeless product, you have greatly reduced your health risks.

6. Direct them to the CASAA.org website for more information.

While forms completed by Missouri residents will obviously have the greatest impact, vapers from other states should feel free to share their views regarding this legislation with the Missouri House of Representatives' Small Business Committee.

I am having trouble uploading a copy of the Witness form, so here's a Google docs link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B26hMMO97qS6VlZzek9FcXZOV3M/edit

Last edited:

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Sorry it's taken me so long to update this thread . . . I got home from Jefferson City and crashed Wednesday, and then I spent most of the day yesterday catching up on all of the stuff I had neglected to get ready for the hearing.

The hearing for the bill before HB2103 went longer than expected, so the chairman asked that anyone who would NOT be able to return to testify to step forward. (There was just enough time for one person to testify.) A doctor from Kansas City stepped forward to testify against the bill, and while he had some nice things to say about e-cigarettes, it was pretty clear he wasn't a huge fan, noting that we were all continuing our addiction.

The best part is that Representative Conway vaped throughout the entire proceeding, and no one minded . . . they're all used to it.

In any event, I will be returning when the hearing is rescheduled, probably sometime next week.

Thank you to those who've helped out by sending a Witness Appearance form. For those who haven't, the upside to the hearing being continued is that you now have more time to get in your form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread