Mixing in flavors - Anyone try this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
When I make a cup of hot cocoa, the kind of just add water powder, I add just a little bit of water to the powder to make a paste. Then, I add a little bit more to thin it out. I keep adding a little bit more water until I have my cup of cocoa that can be heated up in the micro. I get a good cup of cocoa that has all the powder mixed in thoroughly.

I was thinking of trying this method out with my juice, mixing the flavor into a little bit of PG, then a little more PG at a time until I have my PG amount flavored and mixing that into the nic and VG. Does this sound like a sound idea? Anyone ever try this?

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Some people on the ECF have posted that they just add their flavorings to a bottle and let them sit overnight so all the flavoring ingredients mix together first, before adding anymore PG,VG and NIC.

I personally don't see the benefit. Most all flavorings have a PG base to begin with and you really need ALL the ingredients blended well at the end.

Pete

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
^^^ That way actually does work and have a purpose just like mixing order . Iv learned small details and tricks like that sometimes make a world of difference in a finished juice . I cant post exactly what iv learned as i promised someone i wouldnt share my attained knowledge (sorry) but try different ways out for yourself and youll find what works best and makes a difference.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I have a few recipes that only taste right if they are mixed a very specific way, so there MIGHT be a benefit to the OP's suggested method, but I doubt it would make a difference to a vast majority of recipes. Just like most of my recipes can be mixed any which way and still come out the same, but there are exceptions.
(And for some odd reason I seem mix those exceptions more than the non-exceptions. Does that make the non-typical typical?)

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
Yes this is a good idea. This way you can get used to each different flavor, with their own complexities or lack of, and how much you like in your mix, by trying it a little at a time like this. Just be sure to keep a notebook or pad handy, so you can keep up with each amount addition, then mark your fave for each flavor. When you try it the next time, just try the one marked fave first and see if it is still a fave to you. If it is, you are good to go.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Hoosier, as a white man in his forties, I am a minority on my block.

5vz, it actually sounds like a terrible idea for that purpose that you mentioned. What I'm talking about is taking all the flavor for a larger batch, and just mixing in the other ingredients (PG/VG/Nic) a little bit at a time so the flavor gets distributed better throughout. It would taste terrible until it's all put together.

But, you do bring up a good point that I had mentioned to someone last night. I'm going to start a spreadsheet of the flavors, the manufacturer, and the percentages of each that I like. It's going to take a lot of work, and a lot of vaping to get a good solid list.

I've come up with this plan that I think would benefit people, newbies especially. First you've got to find out what it is that you like to vape. This includes vapor production, throat hit, and nic content. You want to find that out first before wasting any expensive flavoring on it. Once you have that down (I like 25% VG and 24mg nic), then you figure out your flavors that you like with the percentage. To do this, I think it's best to keep on the low side (5%) to start, and you should try the flavors on their own first to understand them. If you must increase, then you must increase everything to keep the correct ratios. This is where it gets tedious, as it takes a couple of days for some flavors. And still some longer than that. Can be tricky.

Tona Aspsusa

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Finland
I've come up with this plan that I think would benefit people, newbies especially. First you've got to find out what it is that you like to vape. This includes vapor production, throat hit, and nic content. You want to find that out first before wasting any expensive flavoring on it. Once you have that down (I like 25% VG and 24mg nic), then you figure out your flavors that you like with the percentage. To do this, I think it's best to keep on the low side (5%) to start, and you should try the flavors on their own first to understand them. If you must increase, then you must increase everything to keep the correct ratios. This is where it gets tedious, as it takes a couple of days for some flavors. And still some longer than that. Can be tricky.

Hi, I'm a newbie, but I see some problems with this approach:
IMO different flavours interact with the nic content and the PG/VG ratio in different ways.

I started out with just pre-made no-nic juices. The difference to the taste when I just added nic to them was incredible. I also experimented with just "watering them down" with plain PG and VG, again, big big differences to the *flavour*.

Now, if I had started out with unflavoured nic juices to determine my favourite nic level (seems to be 9-14mg, depending on time of day, flavour, vg/pg/PGA blend, etc) and VG/PG ratio, I might not have noticed how very different the same flavour (either pre-mixed diluted or for instance plain FA Virginia) can feel depending on nic level and PG/VG/PGA.
I might even have totally discounted some flavours that are now on my list of "should be tried again with subtle changes to nic or VG content".

chrismp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Australia
Yes, Xmit, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I think the flavors would blend better if added to a very small amount of vaping liquid, which would increase a little at a time. It works well for hot chocolate.

Someone on the UK forums swears by this method particularly with the real strong flavours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread