Mixing tool, or just shake or stir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find an answer to this, so it is probably so obvious that it is staring me in the face, but some feedback would be helpful. Do people generally use a mixing tool, such as a stick blender, or just shake and/or stir their mixtures?

Also, I have seen some flavor reviews that warn against over-mixing, which supposedly alters the flavors, so has anyone here found that to be an issue? If I could get some feedback regarding not just the mixing method, but how much mixing (e.g. shake for 10 minutes, or blend for 1 minute, etc.), it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
It matters not if you stir or shake. It does matter if you over flavor. Be sure to know the recommended percentage usually given in a low to high range and start with the lowest and work up, taste, steep for the recommended amount of time, taste again then adjust.

Read my blogs before getting started

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

then read hoosier's blogs.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Last edited:

derogg

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
Socal
I mix everything together in my bottle and then just shake it for 30 seconds. Sometimes I will let the bottle sit in some hot water for an hour or whatever and come by and shake it every so often.
Lately though its just mix and shake and put it in the cupboard to rest . When I go to the cup board to get some liquid to refill I will shake my new mixes up a bit. I have never heard of over shaking a mix.
:2c: -Dirk

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I also just shake the bottle for a minute. I mix 45 ml in 50 ml bottles which leaves enough air space at the top to shake into. I vape right after I mix and enjoy the flavor change over the first few days.

Used to steep my tobacco recipe with M-type in it for a couple of weeks before vaping, but I don't make tobacco juices anymore.

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
I use a drink whip for a minute. Then shake it after it steeps for about two days. For me, steeping is overrated. The only reason it sits for a few days is because I always make a fresh batch when I open my last bottle of 15ml. I make 250ml at a time and it costs $30.50. Or about $1.83 for a 15 ml bottle. I use choc/hazelnut/tobacco/raspberry flavorings. It tastes the same to me all the time, at the beginning or the end of the 250ml.(about 70 to 80 days worth) It tastes yummy.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I use a drink whip for a minute. Then shake it after it steeps for about two days. For me, steeping is overrated. The only reason it sits for a few days is because I always make a fresh batch when I open my last bottle of 15ml. I make 250ml at a time and it costs $30.50. Or about $1.83 for a 15 ml bottle. I use choc/hazelnut/tobacco/raspberry flavorings. It tastes the same to me all the time, at the beginning or the end of the 250ml.(about 70 to 80 days worth) It tastes yummy.

I Don't Think steeping is Overrated. Not at All.

All of my mixes Taste Better when they sit in a Cool, Dark Place for 4 ~ 5 Days.

Thanks for the input everyone. As I've come to expect from this forum, I have a range of opinions and experiences to draw my own conclusions from.

Sounds like I won't need a dedicated mixing tool, at least initially, but using one might shorten the required steeping times. That makes a lot of sense to me, since steeping basically allows diffusion to occur over time, while mixing utilizes dispersion which accelerates diffusion by allowing more contact between the substances being mixed. Application of gentle warming also accelerates diffusion, as some have suggested, so I will be shaking and warming my creations soon.

I ordered my first batch of materials today, and I am eager to get started.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread