Mixing VG To Lessen Harshness (How Much Recommendations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

Aug 11, 2013
Ft. Lauderdale
For some reason lately my vape had been giving me some pretty harsh hits so I finally decided today to try and figure it out. I saw a suggestion to mix a bit of VG and then further saw I could get it at Wal Mart so I went out just now and bought some (the Humco brand for those wondering. Couldn't really find it but got lucky and found a single one in the same section near band aids and rubbing alcohol but wrong place. Pretty good value price vs size as well).

Anyways for the actual question (I put whats above to help out lurkers with a similar problem): I've already mixed a small bit to test it out and it does help though lessens flavor a tad. How much should or is recommended to mix in vs. liquid before I get down to doing a more full mix? Don't wanna waste anything and figured I'd get some suggestions. I'm also liking the side effect of a bit more vape as I felt that was lacking as well and I thankfully knocked out two birds with one stone.

Thanks in advance guys. This is a pretty helpful place :p

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
For some reason lately my vape had been giving me some pretty harsh hits so I finally decided today to try and figure it out. I saw a suggestion to mix a bit of VG and then further saw I could get it at Wal Mart so I went out just now and bought some (the Humco brand for those wondering. Couldn't really find it but got lucky and found a single one in the same section near band aids and rubbing alcohol but wrong place. Pretty good value price vs size as well).

Anyways for the actual question (I put whats above to help out lurkers with a similar problem): I've already mixed a small bit to test it out and it does help though lessens flavor a tad. How much should or is recommended to mix in vs. liquid before I get down to doing a more full mix? Don't wanna waste anything and figured I'd get some suggestions. I'm also liking the side effect of a bit more vape as I felt that was lacking as well and I thankfully knocked out two birds with one stone.

Thanks in advance guys. This is a pretty helpful place :p

You've probably already discovered how much you can get away with because it is diluting flavor as well, and only you can tell how much flavor loss you're willing to put up with. The good new is that it doesn't take a lot of vg to increase vapor production and smooth things out.

For what it's worth I did the same thing back when I was starting out and adding 1ml to 10 was about as high as I could go. I like strong flavors though.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Well if you take 10 ml of premade juice at a 50/50 and mix it with 10ml of vg you would end up with a 25PG 75VG mix but would cut your flavor in half. Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Steve

I'm not sure what % you are aiming for. If it's a really strong flavor you might be able to get away with it. I guess I would take 2ml premade and mix it with 1ml of VG and test it out. That would get you to 33.33PG 66.66VG.

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I use Humco VG, and normally thin it about 15% with water before using it to make it flow better. I would add 10% vg to start, as that will cut the flavor somewhat without diluting it too much. As the flavoring is a big factor in the harshness, cutting it is probably a good idea. I've been experiencing harshness with a couple of my caramel-heavy VG based juices and found adding about 10% PG smoothed them out, so perhaps the dilution of the liquid will solve this whether by VG or PG.

You may have also found an inexpensive way to stretch your liquid out, particularly with stronger flavors!

Metallo

Aug 11, 2013
Ft. Lauderdale
Thank you all for the recommendations and opinions so far! I can definitely see how different people would enjoy and tolerate different mixes

I guess a good question would be if I was to simply pour some liquid into the vape and some VG on top to "cut"/soften/top it off and shake how much should I throw in to maximize smoothness/vapor but not sacrifice all the flavor? 10%? 20%? More? I know it's a bit of a difficult question to gauge because I sense some people want more and some want less and everyone is different but I figure members have a better idea from experience than I do

Metallo

Aug 11, 2013
Ft. Lauderdale
Only you can decide as far as how it effects flavor. I would recommend starting with 10% and taste then add more if needed in 5% increments.

Thanks! I figured in about the 10-15% area but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask anyways. I'll be doing that for starters but if anyone else has anything to say in addition feel free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread