MM and Shapeways finally got some of my money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
Well I finally pulled the trigger. Going to attempt my first mech mod build (squonker).

I think I have everything required although I didn't purchase the 510 tightening tool. Hope that wasn't a mistake.

Anyone have any advise, tips, tricks for me. I have watched most of Geekay Vapes videos on builds.

Also thinking I want to dye it. Any tips on that would be great too.

Thanks in advance. The 3d printed box should arrive around mid April.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well I finally pulled the trigger. Going to attempt my first mech mod build (squonker).

I think I have everything required although I didn't purchase the 510 tightening tool. Hope that wasn't a mistake.

Anyone have any advise, tips, tricks for me. I have watched most of Geekay Vapes videos on builds.

I know little about 3d printing or the exact plastics involved, but what I have read about dyed plastics is that the dye wears off. This makes sense to me as plastic is pretty impervious generally as well as soft. It’s also hard to effectively paint though for the same reasons. Best results would probably be to incorporate the desired color directly into the plastic when its melted or before. That way it’s the same color all the way through and wear won’t matter.

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
@bombastinator, I was kinda conflicted about this also. Some say easy to dye and set the color. Some say the temperature has more to do with the color saturation and too hot deforms the 3d print.

Also I heard consistency of color among the peices may also be off.
So I went with white with the idea if I dyed it myself I would have matching peices.

This is new to me, I will be learning as I go LOL

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@bombastinator, I was kinda conflicted about this also. Some say easy to dye and set the color. Some say the temperature has more to do with the color saturation and too hot deforms the 3d print.

Also I heard consistency of color among the peices may also be off.
So I went with white with the idea if I dyed it myself I would have matching peices.

This is new to me, I will be learning as I go LOL
That actually makes a lot of sense to me.

It would depend a great deal on exactly what the color is and when in the process it is added.

A boring long winded treatise on the history of pigments:
Way way back in the day when men wore tights and stuff pigment was ground up elemental minerals. Generaly heavy metals or metal oxides, and often quite toxic. Then coal lake dyes happened. Dyes work differently. They’re often safer and cheaper. A lake is a bit of powdered something that has been dyed to make a pigment. The early dyes were made from coal, hence coal lake dye. These dyes had (and to a lesser degree still have) issues though. They are sensitive to heat, light, and a bunch of other things most of which fade them over time. Some colors fade faster than others. Yellow was particularly bad, followed by magenta. This is why really old printed things are often partial images that are just cyan and black. If a colorant in a plastic is a dye, and it is made up of a mix of dyes, those separate dyes are going to react to different environmental factors differently causing a color change.

What would I do in your position if I wanted a predictable color that would be tough? Paint the thing and clear coat it probably. That they’re dying them instead implies there is some sort of problem I don’t know about. You’ll need to pick your paint carefully. You may want to use a primer as well.
A paint is a binder, a carrier, and a pigment.
The binder is what makes paint stick to what you paint it to. Your binder is going to need to stick to the particular kind of plastic you used. Increasing the surface area of the plastic (very rough sanding) will probably help. Primers are paints that specialize in sticking to stuff but have no strength or colors in them. A “self priming paint” is a primer with pigment in it. The paint then only has to stick to the primer which is often a lot easier.

The carrier shouldn’t matter much. That is the stuff that hardens or evaporates away leaving the dried paint. Not all carriers play well with each other.
While The pigment may matter, I doubt very much the thing is going to be lasting 400 hundred years or something so a dye lake is fine. The paint will wear though and it’s even softer than the plastic.
Therefore you also want some sort of thick strong clear coat.
A clear coat is a paint with no pigment in it. They are often quite tough. They do make things shiny though. For a long time laquer (made from bugs) was the one and only clear coat. Real old times laquer generally has to use pretty high proof alcohol as a carrier. That has changed though. Nowadays there’s all kinds of stuff.

Maybe your best bet will be dying it and clearcoating it for toughness.

Reactions: Tmebs

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Cool. Be sure to take some pictures at Various stages of completion.

What Material did you decide to go with?

One thing I would suggest is to Not Handle the Material without wearing Latex Gloves. Oils from your hands can sometimes cause Uneven spots when Dying.

Also, during the Dry Sanding Phase, it can be handy to clamp a Shop Vac Nozzle to your work area to collect the Dust.

Some people like to use a Heat Gun after the Final Wet Sanding is done to give the surface a Glossy, Closed Pore look. If you do, Be VERY Careful. And use a Low Setting for the Heat.

BTW - Don't know if you can Add to your Existing Order?

But what can makes things Nice is if you have 1/2 Dozen 1" -x- 2" -x- .125" or so Samples of the Same Material as your Mod to try different Dye Colours and techniques on.

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
@zoiDman, I ordered the PRNT3D JUICY in white processed.
It has some texture on its own.

You are the first person I've heard say anything about a heat gun!!!
I have one of those. LOL.

My son and I just had the conversation about not having any extra peices to test dye. Didn't know I could order sample squares.
Definitely next time. Thanks, I am just putting all of this info in my memory bank.

If it all goes well, it probably won't be one and done!
I need things in triplicate.
:toast:
Thanks everybody, I can't wait to try to do this!!!!
Come on April

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I told someone one time that there are All Kinds of Cool things you can do with a Heat Gun. And for Every one of them, there are 3 or 4 ways you can Screw Things Up.

LOL

On those Sample Squares...

Some companies offer them as Sample Blanks. Or what some call "Test Coupons". If they don't, you could always make (or have someone make for you) a STL File of one and just say you want 6 or 7 of them as well as the Parts for a Mod.

Having a Test Blank would be a Good Call to try out your Heat Gun Tech. And if the Material gets Soft and or gets Singed, no big deal. Same with trying Dye Colours.

They also can come in Handy when you are not sure what Level of Detail something like a Logo or Lettering may have? So you do 3 or 4 Squares with Varying Depths of Indent/Width and see what looks the Best.

It can be Cheaper than a 3 or 4 Finished Parts sometimes.

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
I'm just about neck deep down the rabbit hole at this point.
I wanted a really nice squonker and recently went to a vape expo where I handled several 300-400$ beautiful mods. WAY too expensive for me. Was about to order my first REO, then took this turn.
I can do this! All silver contacts and parts for two mods, and 1 3d box all in 150$

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm just about neck deep down the rabbit hole at this point.

I hate to Say it...

But once you start to do DIY Mods, I don't think there is even a Bottom to that Hole you have Started Down.

And One day in the Near Future you'll start looking at Stabilized and Exotic Wood blanks in the Net. Wondering How Much it would cost to put some 220v Outlets in your Garage for Wood Working Tools. Or a Mill.

LOL

• Agree
Reactions: CMD-Ky

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
Oh you have no idea LOLOLOL
I have laughed about the idea of making stab wood and all that that entails.
My husband was a HARD NO on that idea!!
I know why they cost what they cost.
I love them from afar.
Champagne taste and beer budget and all that.

I was like "but honey we already have an air compressor" and he just laughed and laughed.
We have lots of woodworking tools already, but I haven't convinced him yet! YET

Reactions: zoiDman

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
IMG_20190402_195049149_zpswm11ylrh.jpg

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
Dead easy.........only actual tool used was a dremel.
I eyed the bend locations and marked and went for it. The cuttout was finished by my SIL. He has better eyes and a steadier hand.
Used Rit dye (for nylon), color Emerald Green, and it came out like faded jeans........LOL but I like it!
Have put a few bottles thru it already and its doing great, no arcing.
.34 build on a dpro mini and new LG HG2, when the bottle is empty the batteries are coming off at 3.63 ish.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Dead easy.........only actual tool used was a dremel.
I eyed the bend locations and marked and went for it. The cuttout was finished by my SIL. He has better eyes and a steadier hand.
Used Rit dye (for nylon), color Emerald Green, and it came out like faded jeans........LOL but I like it!
Have put a few bottles thru it already and its doing great, no arcing.
.34 build on a dpro mini and new LG HG2, when the bottle is empty the batteries are coming off at 3.63 ish.

It Looks Great Tmebs.

Isn't it Cool to use something you made?

Chase Goodflavor

Apr 9, 2019
Looking good! I've been eyeing that mod myself! I bought their older v1 model "Shattr3d 18650" in Alumide and it hasn't failed me yet. Although I'm not sure if they still offer Alumide on Shapeways. I think they changed to PA12. Was a breeze to put together and everything fit perfect, no sanding needed. I didn't even need to put the magnets in the door since it stayed on without them. Though I kinda like the door without them anyway since it's transparent. :D Oh and btw I've dyed a few nylon prints (on med heat) and I've learned that the longer you leave the part in the dye, the darker the color will become. :thumb:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmebs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread