Mod Battery Science

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbanite

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2010
Moscow
Hey all,

reading through the GG section of this forum, I read a conversation discussing the merits of different batteries which could be used with it.

Is there already a thread about the choice of batteries for the mods? I didn't seem to find one.

Basically interested in seeing what the thinking is behind the use of mostly Li-On instead of say Ni-Mh type of rechargeables. Why the particular sizes such as CR2 or CR123, which seem to be a bit hard to find other than by ordering on the internet, etc. Why not just stick normal one charge batteries in there if there isn't a charger around or something? Which type of batteries last longer and so on.

Could someone knowledgeable about this stuff step up and write a mini guide to batteries for use in the mods?

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Hey all,

reading through the GG section of this forum, I read a conversation discussing the merits of different batteries which could be used with it.

Is there already a thread about the choice of batteries for the mods? I didn't seem to find one.

Basically interested in seeing what the thinking is behind the use of mostly Li-On instead of say Ni-Mh type of rechargeables. Why the particular sizes such as CR2 or CR123, which seem to be a bit hard to find other than by ordering on the internet, etc. Why not just stick normal one charge batteries in there if there isn't a charger around or something? Which type of batteries last longer and so on.

Could someone knowledgeable about this stuff step up and write a mini guide to batteries for use in the mods?

Power density and charge memory.

Power density - advantage Li-Ion
Charge Memory - Li-Ion has almost none

So you are asking why folks pick the superior technology for something as important to them as their PV?

The only advantage that Ni-Mh has is quicker charge time.

Since Ni-Mh are easy to get, try an experiment. Discharge it, say 20 times, through a 3 Ohm resistor, 5 watt to be safe, and note how long it produces voltage each time. That produces quite a strain on the battery and damages it quite quickly. That amount of current even damages most Li-Ion batteries, but it will tear up a Ni-Mh even quicker.

You'd have to use a number of Ni-Mh in parallel to keep the high discharge current from damaging the batteries.

Luck for us, Li-Ion prices have been coming down and are getting more common. Hopefully Li-Film cells will follow and spur the next technology.

That is also why Li-Ions are used in all the all electric cars I am aware of, best energy density and low charge memory effect for the money.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
bada bing...bada boom! Like the man said, bigger bang in smaller place for the buck.

Ni-Mh was the answer/replacement for the Ni-Cad memory problem but still in the same volatage/amp/life space. Rechargeable Alkaline was next but still at same voltage - 1.5ish (as Ni-Mh are really 1.2-1.3v)

With Li-Ion you get higher voltage with size giving you longer life (more milliamp/hour). So a 16850 last longer than a 14500 which lasts longer than a 10400 in a side by side test. Also, price for these goes up a bit as the size increases. $12 for 18650 AW's and only $3 for 10400.

The GG is one mod that allows you to grow/shrink the size of its batt holder to accomodate the different lengths of these batts. I don't know that I'd want to carry around a police night stick size mod while running around the mall on a few errands so the 10400 might be a nice choice...that kind of thing.

$0.02

urbanite

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2010
Moscow
cheers for the answers guys, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about all this stuff... So thanks for clearing up a bunch of stuff...

I also finally found the ABCs of batteries thread in the Battery Mod section. Can't link to it though.

Very useful as an explanation. The only thing I deplore about these Li-On batteries is that they are near impossible to find in a physical brick and mortar store round these parts. And overseas post takes anything from 3 weeks to 2 months to get here... :(

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Google "battery university". Everything you wanted to know about batteries, plus some. I used to be a flashlight addict, then got into RC aircraft. So, I have just about every type of Lithium battery around. The best place for the Li-on batteries I've found is Deal Extreme. They ship out of Hong Kong (free), but pretty quick. Usually about 2 weeks to the US. No idea about Moscow though, unless it's Moscow, Idaho. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread