Mod/Coil/Juice suggestions for a new vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
So I am new to vaping, just short of 3 weeks in now and I am thinking about getting a new mod. Currently using the VOOPOO Mojo with a 0.4Ω coil and sometimes the smok Stick V8 with a M2 0.25Ω. I was told that I have a long deep draw and draw more frequently than some. So I was wondering what kind of suggestions you guys might have for a Mod and Coil that can handle the heat and what would be the best vg/pg juice ratio for someone who vapes a lot so that my coils don't burn up quickly.

Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
What nic mg/ml are you using?

Do you prefer MTL or DTL style inhale?
MTL - smooth slower longer, inhale, restrictive to fairly open & airy.
DTL - hard fast short inhale, wide open non restricted airflow, almost an inhale strength like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose but free of restriction.

Both tanks you mention are more for DTL, trying to MTL a tank designed for DTL causes the head to over heat from not enough airflow = poor head life rapid gunk build up & burnt tastes.

Are you saying you like hot vapor "when you say can handle the heat" ?

Are you looking for a replaceable head delivery device or an RBA of some sort?
Do you want something where you wrap the coil(s), then mount in the base/build deck and install your own wicking or just replace the head?

Flavorings and especially sweeteners is what clogs wicking & gunks coils ~ gives off, odd, funky & burnt tastes. If you enjoy highly flavored & sweet liquids head life suffers, nothing you can do about it besides using an RBA of some sort.
Pg/Vg ratio is a personal preference unless you're using a monster size wicking hole cloud blower type tank, then high % Pg may cause seeping / leaking.

Medium / high power chain vaping will shorten head life, enough time has to pass after a couple to a few vapes for the wicking material to fully re saturate or you'll get an odd, off, funky or burnt tastes.

Last edited:

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
What nic mg/ml are you using?

Do you prefer MTL or DTL style inhale?
MTL - smooth slower longer, inhale, restrictive to fairly open & airy.
DTL - hard fast short inhale, wide open non restricted airflow, almost an inhale strength like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose but free of restriction.

Both tanks you mention are more for DTL, trying to MTL a tank designed for DTL causes the head to over heat from not enough airflow = poor head life rapid gunk build up & burnt tastes.

Are you saying you like hot vapor "when you say can handle the heat" ?

Are you looking for a replaceable head delivery device or an RBA of some sort?
Do you want something where you wrap the coil(s), then mount in the base/build deck and install your own wicking or just replace the head?

Flavorings and especially sweeteners is what clogs wicking & gunks coils ~ gives off, odd, funky & burnt tastes. If you enjoy highly flavored & sweet liquids head life suffers, nothing you can do about it besides using an RBA of some sort.
Pg/Vg ratio is a personal preference unless you're using a monster size wicking hole cloud blower type tank, then high % Pg may cause seeping / leaking.

Medium / high power chain vaping will shorten head life, enough time has to pass after a couple to a few vapes for the wicking material to fully re saturate or you'll get an odd, off, funky or burnt tastes.

For the first question I am more comfortable with the DTL. I have tried the MTL method and it just doesn't seem to catch on for me.

No don't really prefer the hot vapor I do seem to like the cooler feeling I get. With my VOOPOO my vents are all the way open so I never really feel any heat.

Probably for now just the replacement heads because I don't know the first thing about building my own yet.

I do like the sweet liquids and since all your other great advice on my other posts I have been able to get my current coil to last 4 days so far and it hasnt burnt up on me yet, so doing great compared to burning them up in 1 day like I was before your advice.

Someone did help me with a trick to re-saturate my coils quicker in between hits which is working great and also keeping things from burning up.

I am sure after I have been vaping for a while I won't feel the need to draw so often or so deep.

As for the %pg I was told to try maybe a 70vg/30 pg. if I have that right still confused as to which one makes it more watery.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
For the first question I am more comfortable with the DTL. I have tried the MTL method and it just doesn't seem to catch on for me.

No don't really prefer the hot vapor I do seem to like the cooler feeling I get. With my VOOPOO my vents are all the way open so I never really feel any heat.

Probably for now just the replacement heads because I don't know the first thing about building my own yet.

I do like the sweet liquids and since all your other great advice on my other posts I have been able to get my current coil to last 4 days so far and it hasnt burnt up on me yet, so doing great compared to burning them up in 1 day like I was before your advice.

Someone did help me with a trick to re-saturate my coils quicker in between hits which is working great and also keeping things from burning up.

I am sure after I have been vaping for a while I won't feel the need to draw so often or so deep.

As for the %pg I was told to try maybe a 70vg/30 pg. if I have that right still confused as to which one makes it more watery.
VG = thicker & cloudier

PG = thinner & throat hit (sensation like smoking) & flavour carrier

If you don't care about emitting obnoxious clouds for the vape-peen then if you're buying ready to vape juices, consider buying a selection of different VG/PG ratios 70/30 (Both ways VG/PG & PG/VG) is common and 50/50 VG/PG. Obviously higher PG is going to wick quicker. With any juice, particularly high VG, you can increase wicking uptake between puffs by doing primer puffs .that is taking a few short sharp toots on the driptip without firing the coil

Yup sweeter juices kill coils. In general diy coils last longer than pre-built ones, and you can generally (depending on the wire) remove the wick, dry burn the coil at a low wattage to clean the coil and then rewick to reuse to extend life even further...diy rebuilding is a long term goal...saves a ton of cash...more control over your vape, and easy to learn for most folks, Ive done it since my first vape...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Original / v1, Uwell Crown tank.

As far as power devices go, there are too many to list, I suggest looking into removable battery 2 cell devices, a good external charger and name brand cells with a sufficient CDR to support the power ranges you intend to use bought only from a known reputable source.

While you research new power devices you can use the crown on your mojo.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I have two kits I’d recommend for a newer dl vaper. The vaporesso Tarot nano and eleaf pico 21700.

The first is an internal battery, so less costly to start. No need to buy a battery and charger. Coils come in various ohms, and last me a good 2-3 weeks even with my sweet juice preference. Battery life is really good for such a tiny device. I can vape all day on a single nano.

The pico needs an external battery - which has its pros and cons - but it’s very good quality for the money, and not too hard to find coils for. I like the tank that comes with this better than some of their other ones. Not leaky, easy to fill, looks well made.

Both tanks are dl, but the nano’s tank has a little less air. Both have adjustable AF.

Either works well at 70/30 vg/pg, or there about, which is how I make juice for subohm drop ins. High enough pg to wick okay, high enough vg to discourage leaking.

For over 1 ohm, I go closer to 50/50 and for RBAs I go closer to max vg.

I would recommend that, whatever you do get, please share with us. Someone here has used whatever it is, and can advise how to get the most from it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The Uwell crown is a great choice (I base that from what I hear about it, I am a MTL vaper.) I really can't give too much feedback on tanks other than that one.

As far as a mod to pair it with, I'd suggest a two battery external battery mod (and you'll need a charger, to buy the right batteries from an authentic source). For more on that go here:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blogs/mooch.256958/

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/baditudes-blogs.7609/

As far as two battery mods, I have a few l like (despite my puny MTL-ness). The Steampunk nano, it only goes to 120 watts, but it's a two battery door. Early reports of issues with the battery door although they appear to have fixed it fairly inexpensive.

The Smoant Cylon (Smoant makes some other really great mods, too. Vaperesso isn't a bad maker at all for the price either. It's not heavy. The Eleaf invoke is tiny, and super small form factor, and pretty durable despite it's size, I've dropped it many times. An Innoken mod (they're really nice and durable and reasonably priced) and lots of offerings there, too. Finally if you are looking for durability, a Geekvape Ages (it's a one battery mod, but you may wind up preferring it if you are hard on mods and out and about a lot.) I have a Geekvape Legend which is the "two battery" version of the ages.. It is certainly durable but also quite LARGE, some folks would have a hard time carting it around all day (I'd say that about the Steampunk nano too, it's all metal and it is heavy.) With that said, Teslacigs, who manufactures the Steampunk has a lot of other offerings in a variety of style and options including the Wye which I think is plastic, and lighter.

Best of luck,
Anna

• Informative
Reactions: PoeticChaoss

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
VG = thicker & cloudier

PG = thinner & throat hit (sensation like smoking) & flavour carrier

If you don't care about emitting obnoxious clouds for the vape-peen then if you're buying ready to vape juices, consider buying a selection of different VG/PG ratios 70/30 (Both ways VG/PG & PG/VG) is common and 50/50 VG/PG. Obviously higher PG is going to wick quicker. With any juice, particularly high VG, you can increase wicking uptake between puffs by doing primer puffs .that is taking a few short sharp toots on the driptip without firing the coil

Yup sweeter juices kill coils. In general diy coils last longer than pre-built ones, and you can generally (depending on the wire) remove the wick, dry burn the coil at a low wattage to clean the coil and then rewick to reuse to extend life even further...diy rebuilding is a long term goal...saves a ton of cash...more control over your vape, and easy to learn for most folks, Ive done it since my first vape...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info. I have been watching some videos for the diy coils, one thing I am not sure about is, do you have to use certain mods for the diy coils or any mod can use them? Are there any really good correct videos out there that I should watch if I want to try making one?

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
Original / v1, Uwell Crown tank.

As far as power devices go, there are too many to list, I suggest looking into removable battery 2 cell devices, a good external charger and name brand cells with a sufficient CDR to support the power ranges you intend to use bought only from a known reputable source.

While you research new power devices you can use the crown on your mojo.

Thanks again for the info.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
I have two kits I’d recommend for a newer dl vaper. The vaporesso Tarot nano and eleaf pico 21700.

The first is an internal battery, so less costly to start. No need to buy a battery and charger. Coils come in various ohms, and last me a good 2-3 weeks even with my sweet juice preference. Battery life is really good for such a tiny device. I can vape all day on a single nano.

The pico needs an external battery - which has its pros and cons - but it’s very good quality for the money, and not too hard to find coils for. I like the tank that comes with this better than some of their other ones. Not leaky, easy to fill, looks well made.

Both tanks are dl, but the nano’s tank has a little less air. Both have adjustable AF.

Either works well at 70/30 vg/pg, or there about, which is how I make juice for subohm drop ins. High enough pg to wick okay, high enough vg to discourage leaking.

For over 1 ohm, I go closer to 50/50 and for RBAs I go closer to max vg.

I would recommend that, whatever you do get, please share with us. Someone here has used whatever it is, and can advise how to get the most from it.

Thank you for the mod suggestions I will check them out.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
It would really depend on why you want another mod, really.

Tell us what you dislike about your current devices/setups, would it be the wattage limitations, battery life, tank capacity, vapor production, flavor production, etc, and we could point you towards devices that will fit your needs

Well I would like a bigger tank but also someone suggested to me that having 2 mods that work well for me and rotating use of mods would also help make my coils last longer. I like the way the voopoo works and it does great now that I am not burning up my coils in a day.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
The Uwell crown is a great choice (I base that from what I hear about it, I am a MTL vaper.) I really can't give too much feedback on tanks other than that one.

As far as a mod to pair it with, I'd suggest a two battery external battery mod (and you'll need a charger, to buy the right batteries from an authentic source). For more on that go here:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blogs/mooch.256958/

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/baditudes-blogs.7609/

As far as two battery mods, I have a few l like (despite my puny MTL-ness). The Steampunk nano, it only goes to 120 watts, but it's a two battery door. Early reports of issues with the battery door although they appear to have fixed it fairly inexpensive.

The Smoant Cylon (Smoant makes some other really great mods, too. Vaperesso isn't a bad maker at all for the price either. It's not heavy. The Eleaf invoke is tiny, and super small form factor, and pretty durable despite it's size, I've dropped it many times. An Innoken mod (they're really nice and durable and reasonably priced) and lots of offerings there, too. Finally if you are looking for durability, a Geekvape Ages (it's a one battery mod, but you may wind up preferring it if you are hard on mods and out and about a lot.) I have a Geekvape Legend which is the "two battery" version of the ages.. It is certainly durable but also quite LARGE, some folks would have a hard time carting it around all day (I'd say that about the Steampunk nano too, it's all metal and it is heavy.) With that said, Teslacigs, who manufactures the Steampunk has a lot of other offerings in a variety of style and options including the Wye which I think is plastic, and lighter.

Best of luck,
Anna

Thank you for all the great suggestions and links I will check them out.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Well I would like a bigger tank but also someone suggested to me that having 2 mods that work well for me and rotating use of mods would also help make my coils last longer. I like the way the voopoo works and it does great now that I am not burning up my coils in a day.

If you want a bigger tank, all you need to change is the tank, not the mod. I've seen someone suggest the Uwell Crown which I've heard only good things about.
One tank that I've used and really liked is the Eleaf Melo D22, which would be too small for you, but its big sister D25 holds 4.5ml of juice. Not sure a 25mm will sit flush on your mod though. Not that I won't work on it, but lots of people, myself included, don't like it when the tank overhangs on the mod.

Rotating won't make your coils last miraculously longer actually, they'll last twice more but you'll use two of them at the same time, so basically you'll run though them at the same rate. Having different tanks to choose from is good if you have various flavors you want to vape throughout the day, or if you want a cloudy sub-ohm tank at home, and a more stealthy tank with a coil near 1 ohm to use outside, for example

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Thanks for all the info. I have been watching some videos for the diy coils, one thing I am not sure about is, do you have to use certain mods for the diy coils or any mod can use them? Are there any really good correct videos out there that I should watch if I want to try making one?

You don't need a specific mod. What you need however is a specific coil head for your tank, which is often called RBA, and is not your traditional coil head, but rather an empty shell in which you build and wick. Not all tanks have a matching RBA, though, and it's probably not the best experience you can have with rebuildable.

There are other attomizers, which are not standard tanks, that are exclusively for rebuilding, and can work wonders!
Read up about RBA, RDA, RTA, RDTA. They're pretty close acronyms, but they're actually different things. Read from various sources, some are more or less accurate.

Once you know a little more what type of attomizer you want to try, watch reviews of different products from this category. That'll give you some good comparison starting point, most of them show how to build efficiently for them, so you'll get a general idea on how DIY coils work.
The reviewers I'd suggest would be Rip Trippers (too kind on his reviews but provides good close ups), Mike Vapes, and Suck My Mod (which I haven't watched a lot, only a few videos actually, but he seems to know his ....)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you have enough setups, rotating mods DOES increase coil life (unless in TC mode). Chain vaping is a coil killer. Now that I rotate setups, my coil life DOES increase, and not just twice.

If you keep your coils and mods cooler, the coils will last longer. It's just my observation but I have consistently observed this.

Anna

Reactions: PoeticChaoss

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
If you want a bigger tank, all you need to change is the tank, not the mod. I've seen someone suggest the Uwell Crown which I've heard only good things about.
One tank that I've used and really liked is the Eleaf Melo D22, which would be too small for you, but its big sister D25 holds 4.5ml of juice. Not sure a 25mm will sit flush on your mod though. Not that I won't work on it, but lots of people, myself included, don't like it when the tank overhangs on the mod.

Rotating won't make your coils last miraculously longer actually, they'll last twice more but you'll use two of them at the same time, so basically you'll run though them at the same rate. Having different tanks to choose from is good if you have various flavors you want to vape throughout the day, or if you want a cloudy sub-ohm tank at home, and a more stealthy tank with a coil near 1 ohm to use outside, for example

Thank you again I appreciate all the information you have given.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
You don't need a specific mod. What you need however is a specific coil head for your tank, which is often called RBA, and is not your traditional coil head, but rather an empty shell in which you build and wick. Not all tanks have a matching RBA, though, and it's probably not the best experience you can have with rebuildable.

There are other attomizers, which are not standard tanks, that are exclusively for rebuilding, and can work wonders!
Read up about RBA, RDA, RTA, RDTA. They're pretty close acronyms, but they're actually different things. Read from various sources, some are more or less accurate.

Once you know a little more what type of attomizer you want to try, watch reviews of different products from this category. That'll give you some good comparison starting point, most of them show how to build efficiently for them, so you'll get a general idea on how DIY coils work.
The reviewers I'd suggest would be Rip Trippers (too kind on his reviews but provides good close ups), Mike Vapes, and Suck My Mod (which I haven't watched a lot, only a few videos actually, but he seems to know his ....)

Ok, thanks so much I will do some research and vid watching.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
If you have enough setups, rotating mods DOES increase coil life (unless in TC mode). Chain vaping is a coil killer. Now that I rotate setups, my coil life DOES increase, and not just twice.

If you keep your coils and mods cooler, the coils will last longer. It's just my observation but I have consistently observed this.

Anna

Taking it all in. I know different people will always have different solutions so I am taking it all in and will be experimenting to see what works best for me. But you all have been great with the advice and I appreciate all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread