Mod knocked into dogs water bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazr

Aug 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Long story short after finding my mother in a bad way, either a paramedic or FF bumped a table and my mod fell into her dogs water bowl.

I'm not sure how long it was in the water, but I can say the batteries were dry ( two 18650) and so was the battery area.

It's a Revenger, so it has the physical buttons on the front. My pocket book says maybe the Do Not Eat packets and rice will absorb any water that may have gotten into the interior that I can't see.

My brain says cut your loss bury it in the backyard becuase hoping for the best with a regulated mod that could fail on a low build is really a stupid thing.

With all the stress of the 911, I just freaked grabbed it and did a batt pull. I didn' think to look at display to see if it would light up. That probably wouldn't have been a smart thing anyway.

So what do y'all think I should do?

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
Your instincts are correct and pulling the batteries was a smart move: Do not try to operate any electronic device to see if it is still working, until it has enough time in rice and/or silica packets to dry out the internals... You will fry the board if it is wet... Don't do it! :shock:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Give it time to dry then pop the batteries back in and assess the damage if any. I’d think it would be alright because you took the right action removing the batteries immediately and not trying to fire it. Good luck, I hope your mod comes out of this unscathed and all is well with your mother. Also do a quick wash on the dog water bowl in case there was any contamination from the mod.

Blazr

Aug 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I did rinse the dog bowl and fresh water put in. My son was kind to lend his mother a mod at 10pm. Talk about vunerable..after 911 left, thinking about the whole ordeal, mothers dogs, the mess, and I couldn't vape...

I did it after 5 1/2 months, I took one of her disgusting cheap cigarettes and smoke it. Obviously a sign I was beyond stressed out, it actually tasted good. It was only one..

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
My pocket book says maybe the Do Not Eat packets and rice will absorb any water that may have gotten into the interior that I can't see.

This is pretty much urban legend. The best way is to disassemble as best you can and let air dry for 48-72 hours.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Distilled water is pure, meaning it's been through the distillation process. It's unlikely to harm anything more, but you won't have dog water residue on your vape. It would be as good a thing as any (and probably better than many) to give a quick wipe down of your mod's surfaces in case anything "got" on it, although I wouldn't overdo it.

Smart moves so far, you may or may not need to bury it in the yard but in all likelihood if it's wrecked after you dry it, it most likely won't power up would be my guess. Not quite time to start digging... yet. Sometimes electronics will surprise you. If I were powering it up, I might do so outside, but oftentimes mods can be salvaged....

Anna

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Long story short after finding my mother in a bad way, either a paramedic or FF bumped a table and my mod fell into her dogs water bowl.

I'm not sure how long it was in the water, but I can say the batteries were dry ( two 18650) and so was the battery area.

It's a Revenger, so it has the physical buttons on the front. My pocket book says maybe the Do Not Eat packets and rice will absorb any water that may have gotten into the interior that I can't see.

My brain says cut your loss bury it in the backyard becuase hoping for the best with a regulated mod that could fail on a low build is really a stupid thing.

With all the stress of the 911, I just freaked grabbed it and did a batt pull. I didn' think to look at display to see if it would light up. That probably wouldn't have been a smart thing anyway.

So what do y'all think I should do?
I would take it apart and rinse the electrical componets with 90% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alchol) and rinse the rest with the distilled water.

Dropped one of my eleaf pico 25's into think mud, pulled the battery and did the rinsing, let it dry and it was fine!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
Legitimately curious, why distilled water? Isn't distilled water just water purified in a different way?

Distilled as Stols said, no impurities.
So much of electronics these days is such high impedance is doesn't take much to influence it.
Also what ever was in the dog's bowl may promote corrosion, and even bacteria.

I have resurrected quite a few laptops with a good bath in distilled water.

SupplyDaddy's suggestion of an IPA bath first is a good shout too.

Blazr

Aug 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK
So I opened the container and no water/moisture present. Got out precision screwdriver (geesh those be tiny @$$ screws) and no moisture present around screen or cicuit boards. But I saw kinda crustys around outside of housing. So I' gonna let it air a few more days... Water like sand can get into and goes where it wants.

I had considered the IPA because it evaps, just didn't know where on internals it would be okay to wipe down beyond housing and screen? I wipe my mod down at least once a day with baby wipes, I'm a blind over dripper...

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I had considered the IPA because it evaps, just didn't know where on internals it would be okay to wipe down beyond housing and screen? I wipe my mod down at least once a day with baby wipes, I'm a blind over dripper...

The IPA can go on all the electronics. I would use a water dampened cloth on the screen, just to be safe. Otherwise, IPA is what I use to clean boards after I solder them together (PWM's) with all the small diodes, mosfets, resistors and what not.

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
Distilled as Stols said, no impurities.
So much of electronics these days is such high impedance is doesn't take much to influence it.
Also what ever was in the dog's bowl may promote corrosion, and even bacteria.

I have resurrected quite a few laptops with a good bath in distilled water.

SupplyDaddy's suggestion of an IPA bath first is a good shout too.
Distilled water itself doesn't conduct electricity

Blazr

Aug 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Thank you all for all thoughts and fixes. Ive always steered clear of electronics because I simply didnt know.

Mother is at my house now and has a compression fracture. Comfortable in my bed, only allowed to smoke a few ciggys in the house. Have asked her to step out door for the rest. I'm a mean insensitive daughter with alterior motives. This makes her get up and move to fresh air, but also limits laying in my bed smoking. I'm just using I don't smoke anymore reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread