Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Interesting - thanks for the link to the video review.

It seems like a nice-looking knock-off of the Empire, but with a 510 connector.

The demonstration appears to show it is absolutely gastight. Since ECF is not the safety police, we won't be doing anything about it; probably 90% of similar devices sold by vendors registered at ECF don't comply with what we think are reasonable safety standards. We don't make any rules about this kind of thing, all we do is make suggestions.

If buyers don't care if the products they buy are intrinsically unsafe, and vendors don't care if the products they sell might result in a large civil suit against them, there is nothing solid we can do about it: both groups are telling us they don't care. We have produced a set of safety specifications, and we were going to start to publicise them strongly in June, but the IECSB is most likely going to do this and more, so we have held off (www.iecsb.org).

They will start testing products and giving them a safety rating (or a fail). Luckily that takes the weight off us. Eventually this issue will probably be resolved because the IECSB will provide the standards, and vendors who decide to sell products that fail safety tests will be sued out of business.

As regards the current situation, as I have repeated many times, ECF doesn't make rules - only suggestions. If vendors wish to sell products that don't comply with our suggestions then they can't complain if we assist a member, who has been injured by one of these products, in their legal action against the vendor. So far it's a miracle that no one has lost their eyesight although there have been several very close calls (including temporary blindness, and one civil action currently where eye damage is alleged). Eventually someone will run out of luck and the vendor will lose their house.

They can't complain they weren't warned - every vendor on ECF selling these things knows they are sailing very close to the wind.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
The danger is that someone will stack batteries in it. Mind you, even one battery failing in a totally gastight device might be risky - unless it does actually vent gas at high pressure. All devices have single battery meltdowns, after all - even Provaris get them.

Still, people continue to buy this sort of product even though they know the risks. It's up to the individual. If someone buys a product with obvious safety issues with full knowledge of the risk they are taking, then it's their choice. It's a problem though if:
- A user is somehow unaware that the first thing they need to do with a device like this is drill a bunch of holes in it. Maybe if it's secondhand, or lent to a friend, or something.

- If the person is badly injured and taken to hospital, and the press get hold of it.

So there is a strong argument that it isn't just about someone who knowingly bought a product like this - it's about their friend, who doesn't know the risks; and about the rest of us when we get another 'dangerous exploding ecigs' article in all the papers.

Not sure if people know, but there is a big civil case against a vendor at the moment where a beginner was bought a twin-battery device by a friend. When they travelled away from home due to work commitments, they were isolated from correct advice about batteries, bought the wrong ones, and the device exploded in their face. So, a device needs to be safe because the user can make mistakes. Imagine putting two of the wrong batteries in the APV in the video - it doesn't bear thinking about.

whiskey

Moved On
Jan 13, 2010
I also feel bad for the noobies that may have bought one of these that have no idea what they have.:facepalm:

If they don't frequent the news updates and forum..omg

I would suggest that a required E-mail or letter be sent out telling the customers that bought this unit about these dangers, reguardless if they know about them or not.

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Thanks Roly, I was concerned what will happen to those who have already purchased these and are not on the best of terms with GV...I appreciate your post.

Whiskey,,

I believe the manufacturer is making a new bottom piece ( Vented ) and the vendor, vendor's are asking people to send back there bottom tube to get the new one sent out to them now. Anyone who would use this Mod without both venting and a Hot spring would be nuts in my opinion,,, It's also a shame that manufacture and Vendors would even make or sell a Mod of any caliber with no venting and a Hot Spring, just crazy. Especially the fact that it took a review to make all this return thing even happen, if no one spoke up just think of how many of these would be out there, shame on them :mad:

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Unfortunately, price and availability are a big deciding factors with how a lot of people make their buying decisions these days. Not everyone will do their homework regarding the risks involved before buying products like these. My feeling is that if a vendor decides to bring a device up for sale, then they better do their homework as far as device safety goes, before they sell the device to their customers. Going by manufacturer hearsay is not the way to go in this case. Test the device like you are the consumer yourself. I applaud FieldOfVapor for creating that video. As far as I have seen so far in my limited time using e-cig devices, too many things like this have fallen between the cracks, or have turned a blind eye, just to make a profit. Some of these 'knock-off' devices that are coming out of China factories are far from acceptable. It's all about a profit for them too. Kind of a shame.

Thanks

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Granted, that is admirable, and the way it should be, but it shouldn't have gone that far to begin with if you ask me. This my own opinion.

Whiskey,,

I believe the manufacturer is making a new bottom piece ( Vented ) and the vendor, vendor's are asking people to send back there bottom tube to get the new one sent out to them now. Anyone who would use this Mod without both venting and a Hot spring would be nuts in my opinion,,, It's also a shame that manufacture and Vendors would even make or sell a Mod of any caliber with no venting and a Hot Spring, just crazy. Especially the fact that it took a review to make all this return thing even happen, if no one spoke up just think of how many of these would be out there, shame on them :mad:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Granted, that is admirable, and the way it should be, but it shouldn't have gone that far to begin with if you ask me. This my own opinion.

I think I made that my point when I said

" It's also a shame that manufacture and Vendors would even make or sell a Mod of any caliber with no venting and no Hot Spring, just crazy. Especially the fact that it took a review to make all this return thing even happen, if no one spoke up just think of how many of these would be out there, shame on them "

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Yes, you did. :toast:

" It's also a shame that manufacture and Vendors would even make or sell a Mod of any caliber with no venting and no Hot Spring, just crazy. Especially the fact that it took a review to make all this return thing even happen, if no one spoke up just think of how many of these would be out there, shame on them "

chinsk

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012

What is concerning to me is that said vendor made statements to the effect that both above mentioned safety features were in the product. Selling the mod lacking the safety features is one thing, but implying that such features exist when they do not is a whole different issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread