modded Vmod : RBA , DNA20D, and blind squonking

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
hey guys, I'm finishing up modding my Vmod and figured I'd put a thread here to show what I've done, how I did it and maybe give some information that may help others do the same. it is a bit of work and space is very tight but the end result is a really cool mod that can vape with the best of them

just a little background, I've been a dripper for several years, since back when that was pretty much the only game in town besides sponge filled cartridges, and I've been happy with dripping up until recently, my mods and batteries were all used up and I was in need of some new gear and decided to hit the forum again to see what's new... wow the options have changed in the past few years, i seen so much new stuff and I bought a bunch of different new things to try, I started to think maybe I don't have to drip all day to still get a good vape all day. first I bought some vivi novas and pro tanks and tank over carto setups but these all just proved to be not for me, too finicky, unreliable and leaking here and there, just didn't do it for me. I've been dripping at 6v up until now and I like a nice strong vape, the little almost disposable tank things just didn't cut it.

so then I started looking at bottom feeders, sounds like the best of both worlds, promising the vapor of a drip, but without all that dripping. I looked and quickly realized that the REO is generally the best regarded bottom feeder here, and I see that the construction of it is def high quality, it was almost a no brainer for me, but personally I just can't warm up to the boxy feel and look of it no matter how hard I try, and try I did, but I just can't bring myself to actually buy one. this is NOT to say anything negative about the reo, I wholeheartedly agree that it is probably one of, if not THE best commercially available bottom feeders out there, this is just more about personal preference and personal opinion of the aesthetics for me. while looking I also seen the Vmod, and although it is very obvious that it is a much more cheaply made, cheap product, it did still have a look that I liked, and the box format of side by side battery and tank, but without that stuffed in a box look, this thing looks sleek, and even though I generally hate cheap crap I decided to buy it and try it out.

at first I thought it would fall apart soon, but the aluminum case over plastic skeleton proved to be more durable than I first imagined it would be, I beat the crap out of it, treating it like the cheap piece of crap that I thought it is, but it just kept on going, the composite construction really isn't as bad as I first thought it would be and I started to almost even like the thing, but it def has some shortfalls too, so I decided to mod it to make it better, and that's what this thread is about.

the first thing that I didn't like after using it for a while is the way it feeds, there is a small upper secondary chamber, and to feed it you have to turn it upside down, then right side up, then squeeze, or turn it up side down and squeeze it just a little, then turn it back over and squeeze it to purge... overall was not so cool, and it leaked a bit sometimes when overfed. the stupid cone thing that is part of the whole upper chamber design was a pain too, if I flooded it a bit and tried to blow it out, it would shoot juice in my eye, plus being restricted to carto's and atty's proved to be a drawback too since I also started playing around with rebuildables, so my first thing to do was to convert it to a rebuildable atty and eliminate the whole upper chamber/cone setup. then, once I'm in there and taking it all apart anyway, I decided why not also eliminate the cheapo switch design that I also dislike and just rewire it while adding a DNA20D chip that I had laying around from a different project, now were talking... end result would hopefully be the awesome feeding of a reo, with the ergonomic look fit and feel of the Vmod, and all while being regulated by the 7-20 watt DNA chip. I figured if I cram enough awesomeness in there the end result should at least be pretty good, so I started chopping :)

first is the upper chamber, after releasing the positive positive spring from the atty connection by pushing the end of it down to disengage the bent tip inserted into the firing pin and pulling, pivoting it out of the hole you then push the lower part of the inner chamber down a bit from the top to release the negative spring wrapped around the feed chamber, then remove the ground spring from the chamber and push the chamber all the way out. the right sized socket from the top should allow you to push the center of the assy from the top and just push the bottom part out, then lift the top out.

when I did mine I didn't know how it was assembled so I winded up just pushing the whole mess out through the bottom, this works fine too as I had no trouble reassembling it and for all I know you too may wind up having to push the whole thing through but after seeing the.way it's designed you should try to just push the inside part down

this is what the chamber looks like, it is reassembled by pressing the top part in from the top, and the bottom part in from the bottom, all the way until the white oring in the lower seats to the upper chamber, easily done in a vice, just line them back up and squeeze. the top part is larger inside and this is the upper chamber, the 2 holes you see in the lower one at the lip are the holes that feed the upper chamber. ideally you seal these holes to completely eliminate the chamber. i did this with a tight fitting o ring right over the holes and then stacked a few thin orings to close the rest of the space and keep the lower o ring in place. this chamber is now inactive a sealed off, if you just put an o ring at the top it can work without disassembling this whole head, but the chamber will still get juice and get crudy after a while, better to just eliminate it if you can

if you look at the lower part of this next picture you can see that the upper chamber has met where the white o ring is, but has not yet fully seated

and here you can see fully seated. this is how far you must squeeze them back together on reassy

and here are a few shots of the dna install, I'm still tweaking it here and there and will put up completed shots and more complete dna install stuff when I cut the cover out for the dna display and have it done, but it is working great so far, I'm vaping with it right now at 17 watts, squonking away and blowing clouds :)

I'll put some more pics up soon with more details. I just kicked it up to 20 watts, man this thing hits nice so far :)

BadDaddy4007

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
San Antonio, Tx. U.S.A.
That is so cool! I love seeing stuff like this, no that I'd try it though. I've been tinkering with stuff since I got a Mr. Machine for Christmas one year and you'd have to be as old as I am to remember one of those.
I've been hanging on to my Groove, thinking I can use the battery, some parts form Bogger and Mad Vapes to make one heck of a bottom feeder. I'm still drawing it out before I start my little project.
But seeing this had made me think that I may be able to pull it off. Keeping my fingers crossed.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
yeah, I do hope to inspire others to mod there Vmod, it's just such a sleek device and not very difficult to work with, I've been looking at things to stick my DNA20 into, but then figured why use an altoids tin or a generic box when you can cram it into this sleek looking thing instead :)

I should have more pics and details tonight

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
thanks

ok I've had a setback and haven't done much to finish this thing past few days, seems the plastic tube that I used to attach my bottle was some sort of plastic that really leaches into the juice, after I did this remote bottle conversion my vapes tasted like I was vaping plastic so I stopped using it until I get a chance to replace this tube with something that's juice friendly.

how I did the remote bottle connection is I cut the top off of a Vmod bottle and then inserted a very tight fitting 1/4" plastic tube, pretty much making it a 1/4" threaded tube.screw that into the atty chamber base and then drilled a Vmod bottle cap to also accept this 1/4" tube tightly. it works great except for the fact that the plastic itself is obviously the wrong plastic for the job. this was done for easier bottle changes and to lower the bottle a bit for more clearance for the DNA20 module. before the bottle was a bit tight to the DNA module and made bottle switching a bit tough, remote mounted like this there's a much better fit and easy bottle changes, just need to get an appropriate 1/4" tube that's not going to be affected by the juice, maybe a silicone hose? but something a bit more ridged might be better for a really solid fit and seal.I wonder what material other bottom feeders use for the tube? pics

and here is a diagram of how the stock Vmod chamber is set up

how this system is designed to work is, the feed will reach the atty while also filing the overflow chamber ~25% or so, then, on the return suction when you release the bottle squeeze it will suck all the excess and overflow back. it's really designed for the intended use of the Vmod with carto's and disposable atty's, but once you convert to an RBA you need to either seal off or eliminate the overflow chamber to avoid leaks. sealing it off can be accomplished with just an o ring at the top of the chamber, but then the chamber will still be allowed to collect and hold fluid which I think isn't ideal. disassembling the head and sealing off this chamber directly at the bottom feed holes the way I showed in my first post is probably the best long term solution to convert the Vmod into a more conventional squeeze box type feed.

more when I get the feed tube sorted and finish this thing completely :) sucks cause it was vaping so nice before I did the remote bottle mount thing with that plastic tube

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
bay ridge

wow, I was vaping with this mod last night as just a dripper and everything was fine, this morning I pick it up to vape and the display don't light up. the module works, still vapes, still adjusts up & down, still turns on and off with the 5 presses, but no display. the ribbon is fine, the display has no damage I can see, nothing got wet, it worked fine last night, just doesn't light up today, weird. I can't even be sure at this point if it is def the display or if it is a problem with the board and communications with the display. I was using it uncovered and was touching it as I was using it, maybe static electricity or maybe resistance from my finger affecting a delicate circuit? I guess what I'll do now with this one is just use a pot instead of up/down buttons and use it with no display, pot will make for easy adjusting blind with no display I guess, sucks

I just ordered another dna20 to build another one of these, I'm thinking this time I'm only going to order a few Vmod shells instead of a complete vmod and build my own whole internal skeleton from stainless steel instead of using a whole new Vmod for the plastic guts. the shell is really the attracting part of the Vmod for me I guess, the plastic guts are just something that's ok I guess, but it would be a whole different animal with a stainless steel skeleton inside. I guess technically at that point it'll really no longer even really be a vmod, just a mod with a vmod shell, I think I can live with that :)

I did wind up getting the right 1/4" tubing for this today so at least from tonight on I'll be able to use this thing all buttoned up, but no display :( won't make that mistake again, from now on only power it up and use it when fully isolated, has to be me touching the board while using it I guess?

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
from what I see even in stealth mode it will still display the press 5x to unlock msg, I even did try the button sequence for stealth mode, nothing.

now what's even more strange is it sat all day with no battery in it, tonight I stuck a battery in it and it lit up for about a second, then nothing again... I try pressing on the ribbon connection to see if there's any loose connections, I may try to reflow the solder on the display cable but everything else still works, I'd hate to make it not work at all, I just rewicked it and it's the best vape I've had all day :)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
the solder from the factory looked like they were pretty cold solder joints, rough dull and bumpy, def not great, so I reflowed the solder just a bit then checked it and the display came back on, then a little while later it went out again, so tonight I completely re-soldered the whole ribbon connection really well, I had to add some solder because once it really flowed the existing solder into the joint there wasn't even much solder there, now I think it's soldered really good and it's working fine again so I'm happy :)

the up and down buttons were giving me some clearance problems and I'd have to hack some more to fit them, and I'm also concerned that accidental button presses will change settings if it's not locked. on this dna20 even accidental up/down button presses will make the display come on and also adjust up and down, even if it's in your pocket, so instead I decided to use a micro screwdriver adjustable pot. this works really nice, just adjust it with a flat blade screwdriver right through a small hole in the cover to adjust it to exact wattage in .1 increments, it takes a little less than half a rotation to go from 7 watts to 20 watts and I could never accidentally change it up or down after it's adjusted. I always have a tiny screwdriver with me and I'm probably just going to set it and leave it most times anyway so this works ok for this one I guess, next one I do want a dial or buttons though :)

I ordered a few more Vmod shells to play with, a blue, a green and a black along with a bunch of extra Vmod XL squeeze bottles. now I def want to build a completely custom stainless steel skeleton frame and just use the Vmod shell casing for the next one, I want it to be pretty much like this one, but completely metal instead of plastic. building my own skeleton from scratch will allow me to fit recessed buttons or a recessed knob where I want them and I'll also be able to add the charging module to the next one so I can just plug it in to a usb cable to charge. I'd also love a way to set up the bottle system so I can just inject a refill instead of having to unscrew an atty and remove the cover and the remove the bottle to fill it but that might prove to be a bit difficult, I'll be able to recharge without removing the cover, I'll try to figure out some way to refill without removing the shell too, then it'll just be very convenient but overall I'm happy with this first one too,

tomorrow I'll cut and drill the cover and it'll be 100% completed and I'll put up some shots of it done

you can see the adjusting pot towards the bottom of the mod, right below the dna module, I'll make a tiny hole for access

I love this mod, I love the way it fits in my hand and the way every vape is perfect, squonking gives a really great vape, you always have a saturated yet not flooded wick and each hit is really perfect, even at 20 watts no dry hits, just sweet vape after sweet vape. this really is as good as dripping but much more convenient

it's pretty ironic to me that a cheap hacked up thing like this actually gives me an even better all around vape than any of my high end mods.

I do like the vape of my kayfuns on my high end mech and on my high end VV/VW device, but I'm just loving the vape of my modded Vmod :D

I can def see the appeal of the reo because of the squonking, perfect vape after perfect vape, hell screw what it looks like, the vape is just awesome.

anyone with a Vmod should at least convert it to blind squonking with a tube, it's probably the best juice feeding design out of everything out there. everything else tries to give you consistent feed and a consistently fed wick without over feeding to various degrees of success but squonking is the one approach that just never fails to deliver just that, no dry hits and no flooding ,just perfect vape after perfect vape, to me squonking with a cotton wick and a micro coil just really can't be beat by other current feed designs, others can come close but nothing really touches it.

Last edited:

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
this thing has frustrated me so much, teases me with a great vape but the screen has again started to go in and out again, erratic static on the screen, dim then bright, then flashing in and out before going completely out again, plus I have a bit of leakage from my Igo o rings so it has gotten a bit of juice on it from the inside, then it would fire and not fire, on and off erratically, I just got so frustrated with it that I threw it on the side and just ordered a REO... I say F it, if you can't beat them then join them. I know I can build a bottom feeder that I may like better than a reo eventually but I just don't have the time and don't want to wait any more, I'm back to my kayfuns until I get my reo, hopefully by the end of the week... the kayfuns can't really handle high wattage vaping so well, I keep evaporating the cotton wicks so I'm down to just 11 and 12 watts until I get the reo. I'll revisit this one when I have the time and patience again, maybe I will try to send the dna out to see if they'll warranty it, something is def screwy and has been since even before the juice all over the place problems... ahhh, reo here I come, reluctantly, but I have no choice, I have seen how great squonking can be and I'll take that over every thing else, even if it does look like a damn square box :D

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
That is to bad.....I have been following this thread as I have been modding a friends Reo (mosfet switch, fusses, lowered the atty, and vdrop issues)....been using the Reo off and on and quite enjoying it and really liking what you have started here.

If interested PM me and I might be able to stop that thing from collecting dust on your shelf :D

When I first got my friends Reo I swapped out the stock Reo spring with a top spring from a sigelei #19 and gained ~0.25v under load at the atty with a 0.8ohm coil. So I would look to ditch the spring in the Reo.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
this thing has frustrated me so much, teases me with a great vape but the screen has again started to go in and out again, erratic static on the screen, dim then bright, then flashing in and out before going completely out again, plus I have a bit of leakage from my Igo o rings so it has gotten a bit of juice on it from the inside, then it would fire and not fire, on and off erratically, I just got so frustrated with it that I threw it on the side and just ordered a REO... I say F it, if you can't beat them then join them. I know I can build a bottom feeder that I may like better than a reo eventually but I just don't have the time and don't want to wait any more, I'm back to my kayfuns until I get my reo, hopefully by the end of the week... the kayfuns can't really handle high wattage vaping so well, I keep evaporating the cotton wicks so I'm down to just 11 and 12 watts until I get the reo. I'll revisit this one when I have the time and patience again, maybe I will try to send the dna out to see if they'll warranty it, something is def screwy and has been since even before the juice all over the place problems... ahhh, reo here I come, reluctantly, but I have no choice, I have seen how great squonking can be and I'll take that over every thing else, even if it does look like a damn square box :D

A valiant effort nonetheless, turbocad. Enjoy your new square box. ;)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
oh I think I will finish it, just not today, not this week, and I don't want to wait for whenever that may be. I do still intend on building another steel skeleton for the Vmod cases I ordered too, eventually, but right now I have bigger things to worry about so unfortunately this just get's pushed to the back burner... for now at least :)

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Here is some inspiration while you wait for your Reo.....just finished it up

null_zpsa4b83c94.jpg

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
hm, I really hated the look of the reo at first, now I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival tomorrow to see if my opinion changes when I have it hold it and use it, I'm almost thinking I may wind up liking it a little, I guess the only fair way to really know is for me is to actually have one. it pretty much was inevitable that I would eventually get one, think I always knew that, if for nothing else but to just really have a base line as to what the "best" is. how else can I know that anything else is as good or better :) few times before I almost bought one but this damn Vmod just pushed me over the edge and made me say I give up, I need a reo right now...

I played with this vmod a bit more and I learned a little more about the problem. if I unscrew the atty and put a battery in it, it lights up and works fine, if I screw the atty on and fire it the display goes out and stays out, but it vapes at wattage set, adjusts up and down no problem. pop the battery in and out over and over, no display no matter what. if I unscrew the atty and reinsert the battery, then the display works again, until I try to fire the atty again.

the atty is not shorted, it does still work fine, even if it was, this of course isn't normal so I think this dna is just broken. I probably ruined it by using it uncovered and touching the board all over while powered up and in use, and then getting juice on it a few times sure didn't help, I've also cleaned it a few times with electronic circuit board cleaner, this removed a clear coating the dna board had it seems. I don't know that it's even worth sending back, I butchered it. I can still use it fine without the display though, I've vaped it a lot and it vapes great,I really do need to improve my battery connection a bit and play with raising the 510 connection slightly too so I can use the cover on it. learned how delicate these boards are and won't be making that mistake again I hope :)

I received my new Vmod covers and a bunch of Vmod bottles, also my new dna20 and charger module. not sure exactly what I'm going to build again with the new dna20, who knows maybe it would fit in the reo :oops:

I still want a really nice bottom squonker. I started thinking again about what to build what to build and I now came up with another idea for building something I think would be pretty nice. it would take some work, machining of a few custom parts and even butchering a high end telescoping tube and a few atty's but it would be a really sweet "side tank tube mod". I would build it for my poldiac as the base, all high polished jewelry like, bottom fed squonking mechanical. I'll show you what I have in mind later but I guess it really doesn't even belong in a vmod thread. if I build it I'll put a different thread for it but I'll show here later what I'm now thinking might work really nice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread