Modern Vapor Requires a Driver's License?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...I was having trouble finding Halo TruPure (still am) in the level I wanted (18mg) at a decent price, and I came upon Modern Vapor...good prices, seemed like fast shipping at a reasonable rate.

So I placed my order and I got a message telling me my order was on hold and that I had to fax them my driver's license.

I replied, "You're kidding me."

They told me that this is required in the state of CA...and I do get that selling nicotine products to underage people is against the law. I have to show my license when I buy them in a store, too. However, I have bought other juices from other marketers and did not have to fax them my license.

The truth is my scanner is out and I'd have had to go to the library to fax it, etc. and I didn't feel like it; plus, I have other suppliers, including one I can drive to (right around the corner from me), so I told them to just cancel my order.

But here was my question to them: If I am an underage girl who stole her mother's credit card long enough to place an order online, what would stop me from stealing my mother's driver's license long enough to scan it and e-mail it? I mean...this is their proof that it isn't a minor? :p

No answer from Modern Vapor. :D

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
If that's a law in Cali... then they would be (sufficiently adequate to meet the letter of the law - probably) in compliance by needing to see a license. Who's license? Well, they can only, reasonably, do so much.

So... that's a law in Cali? Apparently, for in state transactions... same as buying smokes on line I guess. :blink:

I'd imagine we'll be seeing more of that sort of thing nation-wide.

yaypudding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
Unfortunately in this time and climate small businesses need to limit their liability. The potential loss of business does not compare to any fines or litigation that may occur. It's gov't making changes that seem right but are in fact baseless, like so many other regulations, gun control for one. It defies logic, but they need a paper trail for any audits that might happen.

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
I have never heard of this before. I have seen young people in stores buying ciggs getting ID'ed. But never have heard of online sales asking for this. I made a purchase just this sunday from a California vendor and didn't have to do that, The vendor did know i was a member here, but I don't think that should make a difference.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Maybe they are preparing for the upcoming FDA regulations perhaps? Seems a bit silly because it would be easy for an underage person to photoshop a license. I doubly they would actually look up said number.

licence-to-drive-corey-feldman-21697995-980-655.png

gmb225

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
somerset ky
they have to do it to stay in business its the law doesnt matter if it makes no sense. u mind as well use a library computer and make a copy to a flash drive of ur license so ur ready the next time it happens. i saw a thread the other day and 26 states passed laws making it illegal to sell vape gear to minors.

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
So...I was having trouble finding Halo TruPure (still am) in the level I wanted (18mg) at a decent price, and I came upon Modern Vapor...good prices, seemed like fast shipping at a reasonable rate.

So I placed my order and I got a message telling me my order was on hold and that I had to fax them my driver's license.

I replied, "You're kidding me."

They told me that this is required in the state of CA...and I do get that selling nicotine products to underage people is against the law. I have to show my license when I buy them in a store, too. However, I have bought other juices from other marketers and did not have to fax them my license.

The truth is my scanner is out and I'd have had to go to the library to fax it, etc. and I didn't feel like it; plus, I have other suppliers, including one I can drive to (right around the corner from me), so I told them to just cancel my order.

But here was my question to them: If I am an underage girl who stole her mother's credit card long enough to place an order online, what would stop me from stealing my mother's driver's license long enough to scan it and e-mail it? I mean...this is their proof that it isn't a minor? :p

No answer from Modern Vapor. :D

Anytime I get such an email (asking for personal information) I contact the business through their website or by phone. For security's sake I never reply to emails asking me for info. Addresses can be easily spoofed. I would be wary on this one. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread