Mold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egicn

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
california
I work with a woman who has seen me vaping. She came over to me and told me her friend got mold in his lungs from vaping. Is this possible?

The AAPHP released a statement that electronic cigarettes “
could save the lives of 4 million of the 8 million
current adult American smokers who will otherwise die
of a tobacco-related illness
over the next 20 years." enuff said!

SpiritBear

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2013
Maricopa Co, Arizona, USA
I wonder if the OP's co-worker meant "fungus" when she said "mold". Because there can be fungal infections of the lungs. Mold is a fungus, per se, but "mold" is a pretty generic term. This medical document has information about fungal infections of the lungs:

http://www.thoracic.org/statements/...ulmonary-critical-care-and-sleep-medicine.pdf

An internet search on "fungal infections of the lungs" will turn up a good deal of information.

It seems to me that what with PG being used in inhalants for asthma, it would be safe for essentially similar use in vaping and not put the lungs at risk of fungal infection, but I'm no doctor.

egicn

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
california
I find it interesting that Propylene glycol is used to help fight mold.
I guess I am good..my ejuice contains PG :)

Propylene glycol has been found effective against mold and termites. It has proven mostly safe for people in low doses, though large concentrations can have negative effects. It is used as a moisturizing agent in lotions and beauty products, and in food and tobacco. Propylene glycol is an "organic compound (a diol alcohol), usually a tasteless, odorless, and colorless clear oily liquid ... ," according to Chemical.net.

Effectiveness Research

In 2007 a product known as Durazol was tested on unseasoned southern pine wood. Propylene glycol is one of the main active ingredients in Durazol. The Durazol-soaked wood completely resisted mold, fungus and termites for eight weeks, while untreated specimens were nearly completely covered by mold and termites. This test was done by the Wood Protection Association in cooperation with the U.S. Forest Service, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Forest Products Laboratory.

What is Propylene Glycol?

It sounds a little scary at first, but manufacturers of everything from pharmaceuticals to animal food and hair care products use propylene glycol. Often called "regulating solution" in smoke and cigar shops, this hydroscopic agent is completely safe to use or consume and acts as an antibacterial solution to prevent molding.

The propylene glycol causes the material to absorb excess water when the humidor is too moist. To dampen dry air, the propylene forces water out of the sponge to increase the humidor's humidity level.

Read more: Propylene Glycol for Treatment of Mold & Termites | eHow Propylene Glycol for Treatment of Mold & Termites | eHow

Propylene Glycol for Treatment of Mold & Termites | eHow

http://www.cigars4dummies.com/cigar-storage/cigar-humidification-systems.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread