MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
[FONT="][/FONT][/B][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]This is my review on the MonkeyBoxx built by Tomb (ECF name). I received this mod FREE to provide constructive criticism and feedback in order to help improve the mod or help in any way I could. I will use the existing wood mods on the market today that are being offered in the over $100.00 range as my basis for comparison. I will be scoring the mod using a number system (1-5) with 1 being the low end. The Moneybox is a juice fed mod feeding juice from a 6ml bottle to the atty through a needle system commonly used in some juice mods, using protected or HD safe chem 18650 batteries.
[/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
[FONT="]1. [/FONT][FONT="]1.Craftsmanship: Exterior (2)[/FONT]
[FONT="]a. [/FONT][FONT="]Door does not stay on well when mod is loaded [/FONT]
[FONT="]b. [/FONT][FONT="]Would like to see the hole on the door not the body[/FONT]
[FONT="]c. [/FONT][FONT="]Uneven and cross grain (rough) sanding still visible after final finish[/FONT]
[FONT="]d. [/FONT][FONT="]Not a fan of varnish on exotic wood mods.[/FONT]
[FONT="]e. [/FONT][FONT="]Box itself slightly out of square[/FONT]
[FONT="]f. [/FONT][FONT="]Glue line at the top of the mod [/FONT]
[FONT="]g. [/FONT][FONT="]Cutout for the on/off switch could be cleaner.[/FONT]
[FONT="]h. [/FONT][FONT="]Uneven finished corners on all 8 corners[/FONT]
[FONT="]i. [/FONT][FONT="]Catch cup looks a bit unfinished but works as Tom designed it. Juice feeds back in to the atomizer. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]2. [/FONT][FONT="]2. Internal layout and wiring (2) [/FONT]
[INDENT][FONT="]a. [/FONT][FONT="]Battery spring [/FONT]
[FONT="] i. [/FONT][FONT="]Battery spring is too big and will not collapse in the case of an overheated battery
[/FONT]
[FONT="] ([/FONT][FONT="][B][I]HUGE[/I][/B] SAFTY ISSUE, in my opinion)[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]
[/INDENT][FONT="] ii. [/FONT][FONT="]Existing spring is too tight, making it hard to install and remove the battery.[/FONT]
[FONT="]b. [/FONT][FONT="]Wiring [/FONT]
[FONT="] i. [/FONT][FONT="]Wiring around the atomizer connection is too close. Several times while squeezing the bottle the atomizer fired without being activated by the switch.[/FONT]
[FONT="] ii. [/FONT][FONT="]LED wire was disconnected from the power source when it was received[/FONT]
[FONT="] iii. [/FONT][FONT="]LED in the catch cup is not well mounted and had come out[/FONT]
[FONT="] iv. [/FONT][FONT="]In the event of a leak from the catch cup, the mod could short out due to all the wiring sitting under the atomizer connection and catch cup. [/FONT]
[FONT="] v. [/FONT][FONT="]I do like the button. It fires nicely, location is well placed and easy to use[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT][/LEFT]
[/INDENT] [FONT="]3. [/FONT][FONT="]3. Juice Feed (3) [/FONT]
[INDENT][FONT="]a. [/FONT][FONT="]Tested it out using 1ml of juice to see if it would operate when low on juice, the system seamed to pick up all but about 10 drops, so it works well[/FONT]
[FONT="]b. [/FONT][FONT="]The bottle setup I received has little bits of plastic still on the bottom feed tub and in the bottle. More attention to clean parts will go a long way.[/FONT]
[FONT="]c. [/FONT][FONT="]Little tube at the top of the needle is hard to feed in to the atomizer hole. [/FONT]
[FONT="]d. [/FONT][FONT="]Again, the when pushing on the bottle several times I had the atomizer fire due to contact with the button posts or something in the wiring.
[/FONT]
[/INDENT]
[FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
[FONT="]Suggestions and thoughts:[/FONT]
[FONT="]This review is not designed to be a ding against the builder, but simple constructive criticism. My goal here is not to discourage the builder, but to provide him with honest and unbiased feedback in the hopes of helping him produce the best product possible.[/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
[FONT="]I would like to say the MonkeyBoxx hits like a tuck and operates like the builder intended it to operate. I feel it just needs some refinement in order to make this mod a topnotch product and contend with the mods in the same price range and style.[/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
[FONT="]I would like to see more attention to detail on the exterior and to offer different finishes. If that meant a two week lead time, then so be it.
[/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
[FONT="]You may wont to try tucking the wiring in to the body of the mod. If possible, make the side walls thicker to help accommodate the magnets that hold the door on. (Stronger magnets might help as well) I would look at placing the magnets at the top and bottom of the door, instead of the sides.
[/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
[FONT="]In my opinion, the current spring is [B]not [/B]safe. I suggest using a collapsible spring as a safety feature (like all of the other top-of-the-line mods use) to help guard against overheating the battery, the mod and possible damage to the end user, and the builder.[/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
[FONT="]With a few tweaks, the MonkeyBoxx will be in the top “need to have” mods for many bottom feed mod owners. I have owned most of the high end bottom feed juice mods like the REO, Phidias Woodimus, VV Ali’i, standard 3.7v Ali’i and the Journeyman. I see great potential in the MonkeyBoxx and after some refinement, being in the same class as these other great mods.[/FONT]
[FONT="]
[/FONT]
[FONT="]Please don’t take this as a bad review, but as constructive criticism and an opportunity for hands-on feedback that you can trust. I look forward to seeing some of these revisions over time. I am always available to you to discuss my review and answer any questions or concerns you may have. [/FONT]​

023.jpg 049.jpg

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I am writing this review of the MonkeyBox because I initially had some questions about the build of it. Tom, the builder had sent me one saying I would be a believer once I had it in my hand. I have to say at this time I am not a believer. I see many safety issues with the MonkeyBox. I am going to use a rating system of 1 -10 to rate some of the features of this Box mod so you will see some numbers posted next to certain parts of the review below 1 being the low end of the spectrum 10 being of the high end.

My review on the MONKEYBoxx by Tom ecf name = TomB. I was sent my MONKEYBoxx for free. I’m basing my review on all the other 60+mods I have owned and numerous box mods not limited to the Ali’I, VV Ali’I, Reo Grand, Journeyman, Reo Mini, Woodimus Phidilas. I intend my review to be truthful and to give my unbiased opinions and possibly help in any way I can. I need to supply my constructive Criticism and in no way am I putting the modder down by doing this. I see numerous improvements that need to be considered right away to make this Mod better and safer than it currently is, but also recognize some nice qualities in the design especially being the unique catch cup design.

The MOKEYBOxx uses an 18650 power cell or 2 x 123a - 3.0 or 3.7 power cells stacked. It uses a Needle fed juice feed system from a 6ml bottle which is supplied along with a back up bottle with a needle in it. The main power button to power the Atty is the same or similar to the Ali’i and Phidilas. It also has a main power supply on/off switch mounted flush on the upper left side. There are numerous selections of hard wood species to chose from as follows DIFFERENT WOODS available: Wenge (Very dark with light and dark stripes), Paduak (Very Orange-red with light and dark streaks), Cocobolo (Red-brown with streaks and mottles), Canary (yellow shades - like the bird), and Zebra (looks zebra-like) Tom ask that you select (3) choice’s for the 1.top &bottom, 2.the front and 3. the back. Each unit is built one at a time by Tob.B .

The MONKEYBoxx hits & vapes similar to another quality wood box that I own and it hits like a freight train and that's a good thing.

Overall Quality of the Build of my MonkeyBox = 4 out of 10

First off the Box itself is out of square and by a noticeable amount visually (3). The cutout for the main ON/OFF switch is poor (2).

The wiring (3) and the way this needle feed system (3) are built have serious safety issues. All the wiring in this MonkeyBox sits right under the atomizer connection and juice feed. I see a short circuit happening sometime soon with the excess liquid leaking right back onto the wiring. When I push my bottle the needle moves, lights up the blue light and activates my atomizer. The needle feed is touching the wires when it moves and makes contact enough to complete the circuit (2). This is just way too unsafe. It seems to me the actual battery spring (2) is a non collapsible spring. If a short were to happen I would be terrified of a battery venting and going boom before this spring ever collapsed in this unit. I have to say it needs to be swapped out immediately with a collapsible spring.

The feed system needs to be changed to a wall tube feed system from the current needle feed system. You must get that metal needle away from all that wiring. Not to mention, I believe the wall tube feed system is a better system.
The catch cup that Tom designed does work when excess juice runs back out of the atomizer. It is a unique idea to use the blue light to light up the cup for those that like a light. The cup on mine looked a bit unfinished with a bunch of white residue around the inside edges. But this is merely a cosmetic issue.
To recap, here are the changes I would make in order to make this mod worth the money and safer to use. In time, the excess liquids will seep through and drop down into the wiring system under the atomizer connector; therefore changing to the wall tube feed system would stop this with the correct fitting. I would also suggest making this box a ½” wider and running the wiring down one side of the inside of this box it would make it much safer and not to mention much cleaner looking inside, and if a problem where to happen much easier to fix. Please make sure to change your spring to a collapsible one in case of a short circuit, this is a MAJOR SAFTEY ISSUE. Refining your woodworking skills, squaring up the box and the cuts will go a long way to raising the bar and the value. To execute a better fit and finish, try using a dado or other means of joinery, besides end gluing. Make sure your small rare earth magnets line up on the door to match the ones on the main body so the door actually works as designed and holds the Box’s door to the main body together as designed with these magnets.

I don’t mean to be so rough in this review, but this mod needs some tuning up in many areas. I believe the builder could make this box much nicer if he made some minor changes that I suggested above. Of course this is only my personal opinion & review. I believe after owning the nicest box mods in the current marketplace so far, (the Woodimus Phidias, the Journeyman, VV Ali’i x 2, a Reo Grand, a mini Reo) and have now owned over 60 different Mods in the 2 years I’ve been vaping, makes me qualified to review this product accurately and without bias. But this isn’t about me; it’s about you, Tom and your MonkeyBox. Please take this only as constructive criticism. Make some of these revisions and you could turn your pastime of making these Mods into a serious business. I hate to be known as the bad guy who wrote a bad review of your Box Mod, but someone must give the constructive criticism in order to help you build a greater value and a safer vape. Hopefully you’re the guy that says I’m going to take this review and spin this Mod around a bit and improve it to the best it can be. If that is done I feel your business could prevail and take off and you could have many of happy customers, if not you wont. The current price would also be fair if these improvements are done, if not it’s only worth half, not safe and I can’t recommend the unit until I see these issues corrected.

MWA102464

Last edited:

AlmightyGod

My friends call me A.G.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2010
Vaping Heaven
OK, everyone, I just spoke with Tom & he is a heck of a nice guy.

We had an awesome discussion regarding the mixed reviews his prototypes received.
There are several modifications he is planning, to address the concerns of the reviewers.
Be confident in the fact that Tom wants to produce the best quality product he can.

Please be assured that Tom will be doing everything possible to make the Monkeyboxx a "must-have".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread