More Than Just to Quit Smoking, But A Hobby as Well !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
So,,, I quit cigarettes for 8 months,, spent 6-7 hundred on everything e-cig.
Went back to cigarettes for 8 months. Quit again for 9 months and spent several more hundred dollars on e-cig this/that. Then a 3rd time went back to analogs for months. And now I'm back to vaping.......
Cleaned out all the gak from any of the good tanks,,, ( Arctic,, Aspire,, Kangertech-[Nano-Mini-Subtank],, Zephyrus,, Goblin,, Vostro,, Melo 2 and all the clones as well....
Charged up all the batteries,,, fired up the--Pioneer 75w Joul mode,, iStick TC 60w,, Kangertech Sub Box & K box,, Cloupor T8,, Hell, even my 2 Eleaf/iStick 50w & Dovpo T50 took and held a charge..
Built new coils... Vertical,,, horizontal,,, kanthal,, SS,, Nichrome,, Titanium....
BUT I STILL NEEDED, and so I purchased,,, Kangertech Juppi Kit,, Smok Alien (KIT) + another Bay Beast, more Nichrome 22ga./ 24ga.,, Welded Ni200-SS-Ni200 (for an excellent .5ohm vertical build),, a Troll Styled RTA Rebuildable (10.58 CHEAP),, AZEROTH Styled RTA Rebuildable (11.88 CHEAP).... AND I'M STILL LOOKING FOR WHAT ELSE I MIGHT NEED,,, LOL
I sometimes think its a good thing I'm not a gambler. I would be betting on absolutely anything & everything......
On another note, I/We must be keeping China's economy going strong. ( I don't think the average Chinese employee could afford a SMPL Styled 18650 Mechanical Mod,,,Kangertech Mini (Clone) and a 30ml bottle of Hangsen Chinese ZhongHua )

Are we all like I am? Most YouTubers have an arsenal of equipment on a shelf behind them..
And those that don't, like Tripper, comes out with the must have, best unit I own every 3 weeks...

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
Dam ive spend thousands over the years on vaping , started to quit smoking then for high power big clouds , now back to small high end styled RTA,s like the Flavours from these low power dam expensive 100-200£ per RTA , Dna mods 50-200£ each an now high end stabilised wood mods 150-1000£ ++ per mod , there are some absolutely stunning stabilised wood mods,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
Ive also spent several thousands of pounds buying as many different brands of Flavour Concentrates from all the top high end brands of Flavours to be able to mix up practically any Flavour combination currently i have 17+ liters mixed up in various Flavours that i provide to family and friends who all have different Flavour profiles like dislikes , then just require nicotine adding to them keeps them fresher, ,

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Ive also spent several thousands of pounds buying as many different brands of Flavour Concentrates from all the top high end brands of Flavours to be able to mix up practically any Flavour combination currently i have 17+ liters mixed up in various Flavours that i provide to family and friends who all have different Flavour profiles like dislikes , then just require nicotine adding to them keeps them fresher, ,

WOW,,,You just reminded me of $550.00 more spent on ,,,, Flavoring (Cappella,, Signature,, Flavor West,, ecigexpress,, The Flavor Apprentice,, Flavour Art,, Flavors Express,, Totally Wicked [For some of the best coffee flavoring].. 7- 32oz VG,, 2-32oz PG...16oz 100mg Nicotine VG base + the same in PG base..
Countless glass dripper bottles of all sizes ( and all their squeeze plastic counter parts. )
I don't think I mentioned all the ego twist batteries( at least 12),, Nova,, Nova Mini,, C-2,, C-4,, C-5,, CE-4,, CE-4S,, Clearomizers that I never got around to throwing out.( Some I never got around to using.) {BEFORE SUB OHM WAS INVENTED}

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
WOW,,,You just reminded me of $550.00 more spent on ,,,, Flavoring (Cappella,, Signature,, Flavor West,, ecigexpress,, The Flavor Apprentice,, Flavour Art,, Flavors Express,, Totally Wicked [For some of the best coffee flavoring].. 7- 32oz VG,, 2-32oz PG...16oz 100mg Nicotine VG base + the same in PG base..
Countless glass dripper bottles of all sizes ( and all their squeeze plastic counter parts. )
I don't think I mentioned all the ego twist batteries( at least 12),, Nova,, Nova Mini,, C-2,, C-4,, C-5,, CE-4,, CE-4S,, Clearomizers that I never got around to throwing out.( Some I never got around to using.) {BEFORE SUB OHM WAS INVENTED}
Yes there not cheap.
an some need replacing more often than others ,
Fw , Cap TFA ,TPA, INW, FA, as well as many others
In UK so stocked up 6.5 liters of 7.2% nicotine stored in freezer cannot buy in over 10ml sizes now since may ,
Gone though 4 x 20 liters of VG PG in past 1.5 years ,
Need to pick up some more soon . But prices have shot right up on it in UK nearly double price from last year was psying around 2.40 per liter now its nearly 5.00 per liter , an thats buying in bulk

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Definitely not cheap, but there are ways to make it cheaper.
I DIY my e-liquid so that runs about $100 a year for myself and my brother. His coils $20 for a year and maybe another $20 for his batteries and 1 new mod and tank a year for him so his cost per year are under $150, but he is not a gear hound and counts on me to pick out what he needs.
I try to budget myself to 2 (sometimes 3) new mods and 2 new tanks a year to replace any that are not working properly and also keep up with the latest and greatest on the market. I also mostly build my own coils but still buy just a few OCC coils so I figure my own habit/hobby cost me around $500 this year. Still cheaper than analog cigarettes and I did go a couple of years where I only bought coils, batteries and diy supplies, spending under $100, so I figure that balances out.
*I should note that my years of spending under $100 ended when I found this forum and started hearing about all the devices and tanks that were bigger and better than my old svds and clearomizer tanks and then my wants started outweighing my needs and so the story goes :cool:

Last edited:

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Definitely not cheap, but there are ways to make it cheaper.
I DIY my e-liquid so that runs about $100 a year for myself and my brother. His coils $20 for a year and maybe another $20 for his batteries and 1 new mod and tank a year for him so his cost per year are under $150, but he is not a gear hound and counts on me to pick out what he needs.
I try to budget myself to 2 (sometimes 3) new mods and 2 new tanks a year to replace any that are not working properly and also keep up with the latest and greatest on the market. I also mostly build my own coils but still buy just a few OCC coils so I figure my own habit/hobby cost me around $500 this year. Still cheaper than analog cigarettes and I did go a couple of years where I only bought coils, batteries and diy supplies, spending under $100, so I figure that balances out.
*I should note that my years of spending under $100 ended when I found this forum and started hearing about all the devices and tanks that were bigger and better than my old svds and clearomizer tanks and then my wants started outweighing my needs and so the story goes :cool:
Hope all is well for you with the stormy weather Texas just had....

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Hope all is well for you with the stormy weather Texas just had....
Yes the rain has finally stopped and water is starting to recede, at least in my area. Houston is going to be a long time recovering from the massive Flooding and our little coastal communities of Rockport and Port Aransas are almost completely destroyed. My family is lucky and we are still high and dry. Thanks for asking:)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Glad you are OK, gofishtx,

This forum tests one's willpower for sure... I did want to say to the OP, don't toss your unused equipment, sell it! There are people out there still wanting some of the products you aren't using, I'm sure. Offset your costs when you buy 7 new mods, and 15 new tanks, LOL.

I'm on a No Spending plan until I've quit for 6 months, when I joined this site deeming regs were weighing heavy on my mind, so I bought many things I feel I may not have a use for, but that was kind of the step (for me) to finding my "perfect" setups. Now that I have, the "itch" is much less, though it is still there when one of my favorite manufacturers puts out a new device of some kind or another.... But, I'm holding off and thinking that "The stuff I want will be cheaper by then anyway, and all the bugs will be ironed out." I don't regret any of my purchases, however, and if I have stuff I know I won't use, I'll either PIF or shove it in the Vacopalyse closet, as I'm sure that at some point, I'll either try using it again, or it will be of benefit to someone else... and then I try not to think about what is in there. Ever.

But, now that I'm super happy with my vape(s) and setups, it really is easier. I'm not exactly a hobbyist, but I will buy backups of things I really like, and I have a few of those, so I feel pretty set... Also, I didn't count all my costs but I will say this... I don't regret anything that got me one step closer to finding the Perfect Vape and hence, the ability to improve my health by quitting smoking. There is no price tag too high for that, IMO. I'd pay about a million dollars to not feel like I did the 18 months prior to quitting smoking for what I sincerely hope (and think) will be my final quit. :)

Anna

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Glad you are OK, gofishtx,

This forum tests one's willpower for sure... I did want to say to the OP, don't toss your unused equipment, sell it! There are people out there still wanting some of the products you aren't using, I'm sure. Offset your costs when you buy 7 new mods, and 15 new tanks, LOL.

I'm on a No Spending plan until I've quit for 6 months, when I joined this site deeming regs were weighing heavy on my mind, so I bought many things I feel I may not have a use for, but that was kind of the step (for me) to finding my "perfect" setups. Now that I have, the "itch" is much less, though it is still there when one of my favorite manufacturers puts out a new device of some kind or another.... But, I'm holding off and thinking that "The stuff I want will be cheaper by then anyway, and all the bugs will be ironed out." I don't regret any of my purchases, however, and if I have stuff I know I won't use, I'll either PIF or shove it in the Vacopalyse closet, as I'm sure that at some point, I'll either try using it again, or it will be of benefit to someone else... and then I try not to think about what is in there. Ever.

But, now that I'm super happy with my vape(s) and setups, it really is easier. I'm not exactly a hobbyist, but I will buy backups of things I really like, and I have a few of those, so I feel pretty set... Also, I didn't count all my costs but I will say this... I don't regret anything that got me one step closer to finding the Perfect Vape and hence, the ability to improve my health by quitting smoking. There is no price tag too high for that, IMO. I'd pay about a million dollars to not feel like I did the 18 months prior to quitting smoking for what I sincerely hope (and think) will be my final quit. :)

Anna
There is a lot of good vaping equipment on the market. And true, if you wait a year after its out, any issue's will be resolved and the price should come down.

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's a hobby, but the important aspect is that I don't smoke and haven't since right after I started vaping. Three cartons a month were costing me over $100 7 years ago when I quit. That's more than $8500 saved since I started vaping. I think I've made money on the deal despite all the hardware I've bought!

I haven't kept records, but I've been really choicey in what I buy. I have close to 100 DIY flavors, mostly 10ml purchases with 30ml bottles once I know I like it.

The most I ever spent on a mod was $225 for a Provari on my first anniversary vaping. After that most all the mods have been $75 and under. I probably have 25 RTA's, most in the Kayfun category and all are MTL with the exception of a few Lemo variations that came with a mod kit and a Griffin 25 I hoped would be MTL adjustable.

I spent a couple of hundred getting started in DIY including scales, two liters of 100mg/ml nic base, and all the bottles, pipettes, and various DIY tools. I've saved a lot of money by not paying $50 or more a month on vendor juices.

My ADV is usually a Kayfun Lite Plus V2. I vape as much unflavored juice as I do flavored.

Last edited:

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
It's a hobby, but the important aspect is that I don't smoke and haven't since right after I started vaping. Three cartons a month were costing me over $100 7 years ago when I quit. That's more than $8500 saved since I started vaping. I think I've made money on the deal despite all the hardware I've bought!

I haven't kept records, but I've been really choicey in what I buy. I have close to 100 DIY flavors, mostly 10ml purchases with 30ml bottles once I know I like it.

The most I ever spent on a mod was $225 for a Provari on my first anniversary vaping. After that most all the mods have been $75 and under. I probably have 25 RTA's, most in the Kayfun category and all are MTL with the exception of a few Lemo variations that came with a mod kit and a Griffin 25 I hoped would be MTL adjustable.

I spent a couple of hundred getting started in DIY including scales, two liters of 100mg/ml nic base, and all the bottles, pipettes, and various DIY tools. I've saved a lot of money by not paying $50 or more a month on vendor juices.

My ADV is usually a Kayfun Lite Plus V2. I vape as much unflavored juice as I do flavored.
I started my DIY small buying some 4ml bottles of flavoring and a 30 ml bottle of base. My initial investment started at just under $60 then maybe $20 a month after that. Once I figured out the recipes I liked, I started buying just the Flavors I needed and started buying bulk sizes. I am stocked up on my base ingredients in the event of Vapocolypse, so now I am just purchasing flavors which comes out to about $100 per year for myself and my brother

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread