Morning vaping and coughing/throat irritation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada & California
I don't want to repeat things I've said in other threads but the transitioning off analogs entirely has been tough for me. BUT I'm finally at the point where in the morning, I don't feel I either need or want an analog. The problem is morning vaping causes me to cough. I've tried different strengths and juices and everything has been the same. I do it with coffee and throat lozenge to try and make it easier but no go. Analogs in the am never caused me to cough (although I sometimes would cough BEFORE).

Have any of you had this issue? If so, any advice?

If I can't find a solution soon, I may get some nic gum for the morning instead. :(

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
How long has it been since you quit "analogs"? I've been smoking for 40 some years. When I started vaping during week 3 I was coughing like crazy and keeping me up at nights. Apparently for some that is part of the process of clearing the lungs. That continued for some weeks.

I'm now getting at the point of coughing less after 2.5 months?

Another thing that I asked was the "proper way of vaping" and some made fun of that. From what I hear vaping has smaller particals, and can be absorbed by tongue, cheeks, throat, nose, mucus membranes in genera...so you don't need to inhale it deeply into your lungs like you do a normal cig to get the nicotine.

As I was told there is no "right" way of vaping but what helped me was not inhaling into lungs and just holding it in mouth for a while and exhaling through the nose. I no longer do this and am back to inhaling vapor at least half way into lungs but that may help you.

The other thing you can try is to change your pg/vg ratio. I've heard some allergens to pg but think it's pretty rare. I think what you are experiencing is just your lungs wanting to cough up all the build up. Give them some ease and try and get your nic by your mouth and nose.

Vapors taste differently when using this method. I notice two different tastes depending on how I vape. At any rate give that a try for a while it took me 2 weeks to get off of the coughing all night thing.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
How long has it been since you quit "analogs"? I've been smoking for 40 some years. When I started vaping during week 3 I was coughing like crazy and keeping me up at nights. Apparently for some that is part of the process of clearing the lungs. That continued for some weeks.

I'm now getting at the point of coughing less after 2.5 months?

Another thing that I asked was the "proper way of vaping" and some made fun of that. From what I hear vaping has smaller particals, and can be absorbed by tongue, cheeks, throat, nose, mucus membranes in genera...so you don't need to inhale it deeply into your lungs like you do a normal cig to get the nicotine.

As I was told there is no "right" way of vaping but what helped me was not inhaling into lungs and just holding it in mouth for a while and exhaling through the nose. I no longer do this and am back to inhaling vapor at least half way into lungs but that may help you.

The other thing you can try is to change your pg/vg ratio. I've heard some allergens to pg but think it's pretty rare. I think what you are experiencing is just your lungs wanting to cough up all the build up. Give them some ease and try and get your nic by your mouth and nose.

Vapors taste differently when using this method. I notice two different tastes depending on how I vape. At any rate give that a try for a while it took me 2 weeks to get off of the coughing all night thing.

I'm not off analogs right at this minute. Week 13 of vaping. I have had around 2 weeks analog free during this time. It's the morning issue that is a problem as well as not having enough backups for backups or recharging. (got that last part sorted!)

I'm on 100% VG or close to it because I have issues with PG. Can't vary that cause if I have more PG, it will bug me more than what it is now.

Inhaling method is fine.

Again, this is JUST the first thing in morning. It's at least 2 hours after I wake before I can vape without coughing and/or throat irritation. The coughing is from the throat issue not from chest. For whatever reason, vaping feels harsher on throat than analogs do when I get up.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
First, have you tried different PG/VG ratios? PG is harsher, it has more throat hit and flavors are stronger. VG mutes flavor but is easier on the throat. If you haven't already, try a mostly or all VG juice for morning.

Try drinking a glass of water before vaping in the morning. You probably already know that vaping can dry you out, but think about the fact that by morning you've likely gone without hydration for quite some time. Your throat is going to be drier and more susceptible to irritation.

Also, how do you inhale? If you pull the vapor straight into your lungs, try pulling it into your mouth first and then inhale, or don't inhale at all. You'll still get nicotine by just holding it in your mouth since it's absorbed differently in vaping as opposed to smoking.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
First, have you tried different PG/VG ratios? PG is harsher, it has more throat hit and flavors are stronger. VG mutes flavor but is easier on the throat. If you haven't already, try a mostly or all VG juice for morning.

Try drinking a glass of water before vaping in the morning. You probably already know that vaping can dry you out, but think about the fact that by morning you've likely gone without hydration for quite some time. Your throat is going to be drier and more susceptible to irritation.

Also, how do you inhale? If you pull the vapor straight into your lungs, try pulling it into your mouth first and then inhale, or don't inhale at all. You'll still get nicotine by just holding it in your mouth since it's absorbed differently in vaping as opposed to smoking.

I can't use pg other than very small amounts - causes chest heaviness for me. So it's been 100% vg. Inhaling is fine.

The water first thing might be something for me to try vs coffee. I'm good with hydrating the rest of the day but have the habit of a coffee right away. Will see if that helps!

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I had a miserable time switching over, took three months or more, and I'd get that cough. Water, Gatorade, Snickerdoodles, nothing helped. I have a chronic weakness for coffee milkshakes. It didn't take long to figure out the milkshake killed the cough. I suppose it had to do with coating the throat but it killed it when nothing else worked. Didn’t try it but thinking yogurt, milk, cottage cheese whatever would work as well, doesn’t need to be a milkshake. Can’t hurt to try.

My problem was the opposite of yours in that I wanted to smoke later in the day, not earlier. I coughed going to vaping and then switching to cigs, then again switching back. Once I finally quit cigarettes the problem wasn’t nearly as bad though I still do get a minor irritated cough occasionally. Likely doesn’t help that I’m addicted to key lime juice lately.

Hope this helps and you get it sorted out soon. :)

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
I had a miserable time switching over, took three months or more, and I'd get that cough. Water, Gatorade, Snickerdoodles, nothing helped. I have a chronic weakness for coffee milkshakes. It didn't take long to figure out the milkshake killed the cough. I suppose it had to do with coating the throat but it killed it when nothing else worked. Didn’t try it but thinking yogurt, milk, cottage cheese whatever would work as well, doesn’t need to be a milkshake. Can’t hurt to try.

My problem was the opposite of yours in that I wanted to smoke later in the day, not earlier. I coughed going to vaping and then switching to cigs, then again switching back. Once I finally quit cigarettes the problem wasn’t nearly as bad though I still do get a minor irritated cough occasionally. Likely doesn’t help that I’m addicted to key lime juice lately.

Hope this helps and you get it sorted out soon. :)

The coating issue makes PERFECT sense. I will try that in the morning and if it doesn't work, Sunday will be water before.

Thanks... it was really frustrating this morning to not even want to have an analog but to have one to get the nic :(

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
The coating issue makes PERFECT sense. I will try that in the morning and if it doesn't work, Sunday will be water before.

Thanks... it was really frustrating this morning to not even want to have an analog but to have one to get the nic :(

If you like milk give that a try first. Milk is actually very hydrating, so you might be killing two birds with one stone. :)

RaceGun59

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Owensboro, KY
I don't want to repeat things I've said in other threads but the transitioning off analogs entirely has been tough for me. BUT I'm finally at the point where in the morning, I don't feel I either need or want an analog. The problem is morning vaping causes me to cough. I've tried different strengths and juices and everything has been the same. I do it with coffee and throat lozenge to try and make it easier but no go. Analogs in the am never caused me to cough (although I sometimes would cough BEFORE).
Have any of you had this issue? If so, any advice?
If I can't find a solution soon, I may get some nic gum for the morning instead. :(
Have you switched your juice flavors? Most flavoring has PG in it as a base for the flavoring. If you are really sensitive to PG you might need to find juices that use 100% Vg flavored base.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I remember when I started just vaping in the morning. I was a transitional vaper, did both smoking and vaping for a month. The vape in the morning was harsh on my throat and lungs. It does go away. It takes time for the body to get used to a different way to get the nic.

Another thing that helped, lowering the nic. At 24mg...way to harsh. 18mg was better and when I managed to go down to 15mg it was even better.

I know someone that can't get past the morning vape harshness. He only has a cig in the morning and the rest of the day he Vapes. It's not a bad thing. Count the ones you don't have and one or two a day is not nearly as harmful as smoking all the time.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
It wouldn't hurt to do both. Water then yogurt or whatever. Skim milk did not work for me. At least it wasn't nearly as effective. Good luck, I know that cough is really annoying.

I'm old school and still drink the whole milk. That stuff coats your throat pretty good ;) I only go through about a 1/4 a gallon a week. Wife uses the other half of the half gallon. I'm pretty slim only 165 lbs at 5' 11'' so not too concerned about the extra fat in the whole milk.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA

FWIW, it took about three weeks cigarette-free before I could vape immediately after waking up without coughing. The smoke anesthetizes our throats, whereas vapor doesn't -- or at least that's the best theory I've heard -- and so, presumably, a morning cigarette 'hurts' less than a morning vape. And a smoker's throat, again presumably, is a tender mess in the morning.

On the upside, you don't have to inhale vapor to absorb nicotine, so what I did was simply to skip the inhaling part when the coughing got unbearable.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Tobacco is tobacco whether its wrapped in paper or stuffed in a bowl or stuck under the lip. Pipe smokers don't inhale nor do dippers of course. So, whether its vape or smoke, the nic is absorbed in the mouth and/or nose. If I were you, I would just get my nic that way until my throat was ready for the vape experience of either a shallow TH inhale or lung inhale. Actually, I transitioned from smokes for months and actually found myself not lung inhaling them because I had become accustomed to that from vaping. I was shocked when I realized I was smoking differently and very happy about it. For what its worth, watch the milk. If you start coughing up mucous (not saying you will of course) that might be the culprit.... just something to keep in mind.

QTPie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
McKinney, TX
I'm not off analogs right at this minute. Week 13 of vaping. I have had around 2 weeks analog free during this time. It's the morning issue that is a problem as well as not having enough backups for backups or recharging. (got that last part sorted!)

I'm on 100% VG or close to it because I have issues with PG. Can't vary that cause if I have more PG, it will bug me more than what it is now.

Inhaling method is fine.

Again, this is JUST the first thing in morning. It's at least 2 hours after I wake before I can vape without coughing and/or throat irritation. The coughing is from the throat issue not from chest. For whatever reason, vaping feels harsher on throat than analogs do when I get up.

When I was still smoking and vaping I coughed a lot during the mornings. When I quit smoking and only vape, I don't cough at all.

I had this nearly every day until I lowered my nic amount. Nicotine does irritate the throat/the mucous linings (AFAIK) and a sudden blast of it in the morning following 8+ hours of not having any can be irritating. for me it wasn't the PG/VG ratio (I experimented with that first), although I did find that overall, a much higher percentage of VG than PG made things worse. But in the end it was lowering the nic that did the trick. Just my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread