MOSFET noob needs to know if MOSFET will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar_Muffin

Oct 12, 2015
I'm looking for a MOSFET to use in 20A 2 para 18650 box mod. From what I've read this one should be alright, can somebody verify please.

http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/NXP-Semiconductors/PSMN1R8-30PL127/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1/Wiy8mkjihaa%2bLyU4xUat4t/M=

The current is rated at 100A which is plenty enough.
The voltage is rated at 30v which I will most definitely not exceed.
Fig 9. on the data sheet shows that it will work at 2.5v and only has 2 milohms of resistance at 3.7v.

Please tell me I got something correct for once <3

Oscar_Muffin

Oct 12, 2015
That 100A rating is only if it is mounted to a heat sink that is not allowed to rise above 25°C directly under the MOSFET....very, very hard to do. Using the thermal resistance and Rds-on numbers that MOSFET should be ok for up to about 25A, depending on how hard you're vaping.

If I want a higher amp rating without a heat-sink should I be looking for a larger MOSFET or a better quality one?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Look for the lowest Rds-on and the lowest junction-to-ambient thermal resistance. TO-220 cased mosfets have high thermal resistance values. You will probably need to go to the larger TO-247 or TO-264 cased mosfets.

But lower Rds-on ones can be found in TO-220 cases. The IRLB3034 can get you to 28A continuous, roughly, and higher if you're not chain vaping heavily.

Or, parallel two or more mosfets.

Visus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Forgot all that heres what ya need perhaps lol

http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php/topic said:
    DIYFancyLights I've got a board on eBay with a PSMN0R9-25 and 15K pulldown resistor already soldered on. It also has holes large enough for 14awg stranded wire for the Source/Drain high current lines and made with 2oz copper to reduce losses. I got reports of people using it at 0.08 ohms without it warming up at all.
    1pcs microFET 25V high current board for Box Mod Vape or inline wiring, USA
    if you want 5
    KIT 5pcs 14awg + 22awg wire microFET 25V high current board 4 Box Mod Vape, USA

Reactions: david4500
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread