Most Basic USB Passthru

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Hello,

In my failed attempt to revive a dead Super E-cig(RN4081??) battery into a passthru, since I can't seem to remove the connector for anything while preserving the case it's held with in. I did this with my 901 and had no problems, but this was not to be the case with the Super. After 2 hours, I finally got to a point where I intended to just remove the connector piece from the case thru cutting and find some other alternative to house the adaptor.

I happen to glance over at my DSE901 USB charger and thought, "sure wish I could turn that into a passthru. At first I thought I would have to cut out the Super e-cig connector piece and somehow replace it with what's in the DSE901 charger. For some strange reason, I thought I would try to see if the atty fits in the USB charger....and YES it did!!!

I then plugged in the charger, intending to quickly pull the plug back out once I heard or felt a sizzle...nothing. So, I had concerns that the connector appeared compatible, but maybe the diameter of the negative and positive connections were off too much or the fact that it was meant to be a charger so direct current was not available.

Well, I decided to run with it. The hole where the LED is on the charger which could be where the button is and the fact that the atty fit was too much for me to resist trying to make this work.

Well, all I had to do was gut the circuit board from it, leave the existing wires from the connector piece, widen the LED hole to fit a tact switch, then wire it....done!!

Only problem is the usb wire is short, only about 2 ft, but fortunately I have a usb 6ft extension cable. Regardless, I now have a hard hitting E-cig!! I love my Super E-cig, now more than ever. Hits harder than any of the models I have, which are DSE901 (battery, mod, usb pass thru) M401-M402, Yeti 510, and of course my SUPERRRRR!!!!

Snapshot_20090519.jpg

Last edited:

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
so you didn't have to mod the adapter? just gut and switch?????

I also made a generic passthru for the 4081 after I flooded my old passthrough, works like a charm.
No, not a thing. Apparently the Super mini RN4081 has the exact same connectors as the dse901 mini e-cig, just in reverse. So, if you felt inventive enough, the dse901 or Super Mini charger can easily be converted to a juice box mod with very little modifying.

I opened up the RN4081 charger to see what all would have to be removed or changed. Only saw that it would need gutting of the circuit board and rewiring with some way of holding batteries(s) in place. My DSE901 atty fit perfectly in the RN4081 charger.

Unfortunately, I only have one 901 charger...so I won't be attempting a mod on that one since I've used my usb charger for my Super mini pass thru. But I will be attempting this with the Super mini since I have 3 chargers.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Oh, I wish I knew that sooner, I just placed an order for a bunch of juice and I could have bought a $6 thing to tear apart for an atty connection for my npro.... :( Not that I have any good attys, but I always wanted to mod with one of the minis!
Well, it's something to keep in mind in the future! Definitely far better alternative than cutting, fitting, or buying an actual dedicated 20-30 dollar passthru. The one I have is very compact, which I absolutely love!!

Also, I might add, I was using a 3.7 Motorola cellphone battery at 710mAh since I have 2 of them. Was able to vape with it for 6-7 hours before noticing a significant decline in vapor. I'm going to attempt to make a credit card style mod...wish me luck!

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
Awesome, good luck!

I have another mod up my sleeve, i'm going to put an atty in a rechargeable device that I use quite often, but I don't want to ruin the device. So, until I can get a duplicate device, I'll hold off. If I broke this...it would be a bad thing...I will post pics when it's done though, until then, we're all in the dark!

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Awesome, good luck!

I have another mod up my sleeve, i'm going to put an atty in a rechargeable device that I use quite often, but I don't want to ruin the device. So, until I can get a duplicate device, I'll hold off. If I broke this...it would be a bad thing...I will post pics when it's done though, until then, we're all in the dark!
Good luck to you! I was thinking of doing the same thing...well kind of. I have very little knowledge of circuitry, so I agree with you, I'm about as blind as a bat when it comes to this. But, I'm learning!!! Just don't fry your device!!! Looking forward to the pics!

mrsayao

Jun 4, 2009
I happen to glance over at my DSE901 USB charger and thought, "sure wish I could turn that into a passthru. At first I thought I would have to cut out the Super e-cig connector piece and somehow replace it with what's in the DSE901 charger. For some strange reason, I thought I would try to see if the atty fits in the USB charger....and YES it did!!!

Where'd u get that charger? So you're using the RN4081 atomizer and it simply just screws in? Can you post pics of the "chargers" innards? Great work!

luvmyvapor

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Texas, USA
Well, it's something to keep in mind in the future! Definitely far better alternative than cutting, fitting, or buying an actual dedicated 20-30 dollar passthru. The one I have is very compact, which I absolutely love!!

Also, I might add, I was using a 3.7 Motorola cellphone battery at 710mAh since I have 2 of them. Was able to vape with it for 6-7 hours before noticing a significant decline in vapor. I'm going to attempt to make a credit card style mod...wish me luck!

Hey let us know if you find a holder for the flat mod. I bought two camera batteries and I am dying to find the perfect holder. I am thinking that a full size Zippo might do the trick. Haven't checked for fit yet.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Where'd u get that charger? So you're using the RN4081 atomizer and it simply just screws in? Can you post pics of the "chargers" innards? Great work!
I gutted the innards. So there isn't anything in there but the connecting wires and back end of the switch. When I was using the tact switch, I left the protection board in there to support the tact switch. But, unfortunately, the tact switch malfunctioned and would intermitintly get stuck. So I switched it with a micro momentary button from radio shack, so with the button housing being longer, I had to completely gut it, which was ok, since the board was only serving as support for the tact switch.

I got the usb charger from totally wicked when I bought my 901's...but since I got into modding, I didn't need to use the usb charger anymore. If I remember correctly, the charger is 10 bucks.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Hey let us know if you find a holder for the flat mod. I bought two camera batteries and I am dying to find the perfect holder. I am thinking that a full size Zippo might do the trick. Haven't checked for fit yet.
I have found cases that would work well with cell phone batteries, not so sure about camera batts.

Metal slider business card cases(not the automatic ones), or flipping business card cases. Dealextreme has plenty to choose from, but I didn't order from there.

This is one that I got, but I haven't started on it just yet since I am currently working on a mod that has become a nightmare. So, feel free to have your hand at it. Love to see what folks come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread