The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Most recent battery explosion

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by penguinfan, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. penguinfan

penguinfan Full Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    Guy looked like he was lifting a TV or something.....was this lack of safety features on devices or cheap batteries maybe?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. untar

untar Vaping Master

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    No idea what you're talking about.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Need more details to make a hypothesis.

Many battery explosions or fires are caused by carrying naked batteries in a pocket. Contact with coins or keys creates an electrical circuit causing the battery to release its energy and vent (hot gas) or go into thermal runaway (flames or explosion).

Solution: Always carry loose batteries in a plastic battery case.​

Using a "direct battery" or "hybrid-top" mechanical mod with a juice attachment without an extended center pin will cause the battery to hard short with similar results to the above.

Solution: Know how to operate your particular battery device safely and use the proper juice attachment on it.​

Continuous pressure on the fire button can cause a rapid over-discharge of the battery resulting in venting, fire, or explosion.

Solution: Deactivate the fire button when not in use.​

Keep your batteries in "like new" condition.

Solution: Inspect the insulating wraps and insulator rings for tears, holes, or other defects. Either re-wrap or replace damaged wraps/rings or discontinue using the battery.​

Transporting any battery device in a pocket or purse without first disabling the battery can result in a bad day.

Solution: If a regulated mod, turn the mod off during transport. If a mechanical mod, lock the fire button or remove either the juice attachment or battery.​

Batteries are the most important piece of gear in our setups, so it makes good sense to buy the best available no matter the cost. Its not worth it to save a buck or two on an off brand, "re-wrap" brand. Brands like Lg, Samsung, or Sony are of better quality than the off brand batteries.

There is no such thing as a completely "safe" battery. They all have the potential to be dangerous if misused or abused.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
    Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
    Are You Using a "Rewrap" (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery?
    A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Love x 2
    • Useful x 2
  4. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    "The victim in Anaheim is said to have suffered serious burns but the manager of the store says the man finished buying the television set before going for treatment." :rolleyes:

Keeping his priorities straight. :lol:

"...attorney Greg Bentley says he's currently representing hundreds of clients who claim they have been injured."

That claim seems to be a bit of a stretch to me. Talk about ambulance-chasing attornies. :facepalm:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Punk In Drublic

Punk In Drublic Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Exploding batteries is not just segregated to vaping mods. Portable computers, high powered toys and mobile phones (looking at you Samsung), just to name a few have all been known to go BOOM from time to time. I’ve even dealt with enterprise UPS’s blowing up. Fortunately with many vaping gear we have the opportunity to inspect our batteries which does add a level of safety.

I’m sure this won’t be the last exploding mod we hear about, nor will it be the last exploited story!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  9. untar

untar Vaping Master

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    If there's no official info on it then we can guess all we want, could be a badly secured mech mod, could be a defective battery, defective mod, could be he's a ..... and has lose batteries and metal bits in his pocket...
    There's no real point in talking about this until we know what happened.

It's not rare that it turns out it wasn't the ecig that exploded but carelessly transported batteries not even installed in a device, the headlines like to mention "ecig explosion" anyways because it's what the kewl kidz journalists do these days to get clicks. "Some guy is stupid" doesn't get much traffic.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Although these news reports result in negative publicity for the vaping community, it also serves as a reminder that vapers need to understand battery and vaping safety, and accept the risks involved when using lithium ion batteries.

We can most certainly minimalize that risk by educating ourselves and always practicing safe battery practices.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Am I the only one who found that headline rather tasteless, "E cig industry "under fire" after the latest explosion."

Okay, it's probably just the media's usual subliminal punishment and that was like one impressive video.

I am thrilled that he bought a TV prior to seeking treatment now we'll see what he does when the ambulance chasers show up, although even they might have difficulty with the "stopped to buy a TV on the way to treatment," although maybe they'll take the dazed and confused approach. So SHOCKED and horrified, the plaintiff did not even understand his need for treatment until he watched the footage on his new, 40 inch TV."

Anna

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  12. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Perfect "click bait" headline for social media. Numbers and clicks count. No surprises here. I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. score69

score69 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 28, 2015
    Athens, GA, USA
    Willing to bet this was somebody else with a loose battery in their pocket. Will be interested to hear more info as this unfolds.

Maybe this sealed the deal for him buying the TV. Figured he would have 'lawyer money' coming at some point. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. santo19586

santo19586 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2010
    Saint Cloud FL
    yeah i saw that news clip the other day , scary
    I always practice mod and battery safety

• Like Like x 1
  15. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  16. untar

untar Vaping Master

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    Samsung portable LiIon powered :lol:

• Funny Funny x 7
  17. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh and if only that were true for everyone. I should admit it though, I've been guilty of the odd battery safety moment here and there. Not on purpose, but I try my best. But if only we all did it. I wonder how many "truly unavoidable" battery explosions there actually are (don't get me wrong, I'm not going to try and figure that our or anything) but it would be interesting to know. Etc.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  18. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    My guess would be that 99% of all battery fires or explosions were from user error. Either the user was totally ignorant of battery safety practices, or they had a weak moment of distraction and did something stupid they normally wouldn't do.

I recall having one of those weak moments of distraction. I had just removed a battery from the charger located in my kitchen, and simultaneously noticed out the corner of my eye that a pot of boiling water was about to overflow on the stove. Without thinking, I put the battery in my pants pocket to attend to the pot of water. Unknowingly, there was a penny in that pocket, and literally within seconds the battery began to get so hot that it vented.

I was lucky that I was able to remove the battery and throw it into the sink, without suffering any blisters, but the skin on my fingers became red and sore...only a first degree burn. I guess I was lucky that the battery only vented gas, and didn't burst into flames or explode.

I felt rather humiliated that this had happened to me, someone who is continuously preaching about safe battery habits on this forum. :oops:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Jingles

Jingles Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Wonder how many people actually died in smoking related fires on the same day as his accident?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Yeah... I wonder How Many people Died that day from Smoking Period.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.