Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Smoking and vaping, steps toward a goal
The most harmful part of a cigarette is the tar and other irritants in each puff of smoke. The addictive part of a cigarette, however, is the nicotine. That is why the majority of cessation aids from gums to patches and lozenges focus on providing the nicotine without all of the other toxic chemicals in a cigarette. What these methods miss, however, is replacing the physical act of smoking.
Enter electronic nicotine delivery systems, more commonly known as e-cigarettes, to fill that need. E-cigarettes work by vaporizing a liquid that is then inhaled; thus the term “vaping” to describe the use of an e-cigarette. The first e-cigarettes became available in the US in 2007 and the most famous brand currently is juul. E-cigarettes are certainly safer than conventional cigarettes. They contain far fewer chemicals and allow you to control the amount of nicotine being inhaled...
For current users, I realize that it may be unrealistic to expect cessation from the beginning, so I encourage smokers to start with smoking moderation and step from there to complete cessation.

That’s where vaping can have a role. Several studies have shown improved lung function in smokers who switched to vaping compared to those who continued smoking regular cigarettes; therefore, for those already smoking, vaping nicotine-only e-cigarettes may be a stepping stone to that goal of complete cessation.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yep, it's got some good parts, which you quoted.

But it also perpetuates the notion that nicotine is the only thing in tobacco that makes tobacco addictive. If that were true, switching to vaping straight nicotine would be far easier than is for many people.

And there's one sentence that's just plain incomprehensible, at least to me:
The black market nature of second-hand e-cigarette liquid adds an extra layer of uncertainty and danger.
The good doctor might wish to clarify what he means here.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    But it also perpetuates the notion that nicotine is the only thing in tobacco that makes tobacco addictive. If that were true, switching to vaping straight nicotine would be far easier than is for many people.
    Could also explain why patches/gum/etc. just don't completely work for a lot of people.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Could also explain why patches/gum/etc. just don't completely work for a lot of people.
    Vaping works better than those because it simulates the habituated, physical act of smoking. Patches are probably the worst method because there's no way to self-titrate the amount of nicotine you're getting.

Vaping can also be a more chemically complete substitute if one uses WTA, which was a big help for me early on.

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    And there's one sentence that's just plain incomprehensible, at least to me:

"The black market nature of second-hand e-cigarette liquid adds an extra layer of uncertainty and danger."

The good doctor might wish to clarify what he means here.

If you take out the "second-hand" wording, it kinda sorta makes sense.

Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread